Maaco or Earl Scheib?

GNRick

Retired member
Anybody use either of them? What were the results, what exactly did they do, and how much did it cost? Would you use them again?

are you serious?
For a beater it would be ok but -
To put it simply
quality - bad
longevity - bad
price cheap.

Please don't take a Turbo Regal to one of these places.

Well, I figured if they scuff it up a little to get the paint to adhere, and I keep it in my garage when I'm not driving it, would it look ok for 3 or 4 years? i wonder how much they would charge?

A friend had his GTO done by one of them - really depends on the individual more than which shop - IMO, because they are both gonna follow the fast and cheap procedure.

My friend removed some trim parts and gave the car a quick light sanding - di not go through the existing paint.

They wiped the car down and sprayed it. Looked good. NO SHOW CAR job, but it was in the not bad to good range. Had to get up close to see a few tape lines or other small blemishes

CHEAPY JOB!

As stated, every shop is different depending on who's doing the spraying. Go around and check out their finished work. I've seen where they put out a bunch of just shot cars in the morning. See who lays it on the best. Decide which shop. Agree on a price, then get the painter aside, and talk to him and give him an extra $20 or $30 up front, to give you special consideration.

I know this is not possible for everyone, but id give it a try. i work in a honda shop, we dont have a body shop but theres onne next store at the mitsubishi dealer. I went over and talked to the guy about painting my car. Hes doing it as we speak for only $700!! He's stripping the deck hood and trunk and sanding the rest and shooting it with a base clear coat. Of coarse i stripped the car down befor i gave it to him to save him some work. SO try going to a known good shop or dealer and see if they can help you out, and the guys there always like doing side jobs.

I just called Maaco. For $399.95 (ok, quit laughing) they chemically dewax the surface, sand it, apply primer-sealer, spray it with urethane enamel, then another coat of 50%clear and 50% color, then oven bake it. Includes 1 year warranty against peeling/flaking, and 4 year warranty against "loss of gloss". Any additional body work is extra. They even mask off the windows and trim. Is that a deal, or what?

paint

:eek: Depends on the individual painter, the type of Sears best and the quality of the roller. 'Round here none of the real good painters would work there. Some of the good ones did practice there for awhile. You are better off to ask who in your area does good work, maybe on the side and be prepared to wait... By the way the last MAACO painter I talked to was proud he shot 9 cars in 8 hours! :D :confused:

Re: paint

Originally posted by dan lephart
By the way the last MAACO painter I talked to was proud he shot 9 cars in 8 hours! :D :confused:

Ya can't blame a guy for being proud of his purchase of a Wagner Power Painter! :D

You get what you pay for! the shop I work at offers a LIFETIME warranty on body and paint work.

A buddy of mine did all the prep work and took a 89 TA into maaco. They shot the paimt 4 or 5 years ago and it still looks as good as the factory job. Paint is easy the prep work is where all the time and charge goes. So it comes down to how much time your willing to put into the prep part.

Jason

The prep for me will consist of removing the wheel well trim, headlight bezels, gnx vents, rear tail lights, and maybe the metal trim around the door windows. that's about all I know about painting cars. I want as few tape marks as possible without removing the glass and trim around the glass. I guess I'll find out this Saturday what they can do and for how much.

quote from bodyshop..........

"Good bodywork ain't cheap, cheap bodywork ain't good"

I have found that to be the case. I know around here you can spot an Earl Schieb Paint job a mile away. Do Not, I repeat do not have them paint your car. I will guarentee that you will be disappointed and want to get it repainted again. Also, most other paint shops will not guarentee there paint job if they have to paint over Earl Scheibs or Maaco. Something about paint compatibility.

The paint right now on the car is really bad. There are stains, water marks, and it is faded pretty bad. Also a lot of rock chips on the front clip and the doors. I had it professionally buffed and looks good from about 15 feet away, but any closer and it sucks. It already was painted at least once before from the previous owner. They painted around the emblems on the fenders. When I removed them and added GNX vents, you could see the marks where the emblems had been. Basically, I think I have little to lose. I realize I could be out $400 plus a rental car for 3 days. If the car was to be painted again down the road, I would have it all stripped to bare metal, so I don't think painting over the Maaco paint will ever be an issue. I will look at cars that they recently painted when I visit them tomorrow to get an idea of the quality. Keep the comments coming!

Remove everything! Door handles, locks, window trim, emblems, spoiler, bumpers, grill, trim on the hood, wheel wells, anything and everything that will come off.

I work at a body shop and recently painted my personal truck, and since one of my bodymen owed me some money he agreed to paint the truck and all I had to buy were the materials. When it was all said and done, getting all the paint at cost I had 350.00 in my paint job. Now, here's what I suggest, ask around and find a bodyman or painter who will paint your car on the side. If you're lucky he may access to a nice booth and a hookup at a paint store! ;)

The $399 special turned into $1800! The Maaco guy said he couldn't paint over my paint because it was in such bad shape. He wants to sand the car down to primer and then paint it. Also includes welding in a small piece of metal in the fender where it is rusted. My friend took his GN there at the same time. Cost to paint his car was $700. They would strip his roof down to bare metal, but the rest of the car would be scuffed for the primer to adhere. I did find a guy who works for a new car dealer in the body shop. He quoted my friend $1500 without materials, which included wet sanding the finished coat. I think I need to get some local estimates. Has anybody ever heard of removing dings with a small torch?

throw down the extra $$ and never worry about paint again
if you get maaco paint, it sucks, then you have to paint it again...no telling what it may cost

say you spend all that time prepping the car, goto maaco..paint last 3 years......are you gonna want to do all the prep works again?

imo, the only smart thing to do is to get the work done by an "expert"

One other consideration in your paint job is the fact that the GN is black. Unless a panel is perfect and the paint is layed on perfectly, flaws will jump out at you with a glossy black paint job.

Another thought: If your paint is bad enough that Maaco will not paint over it, the paint will probably have to be removed. You might price the cost of plastic media blasting on the complete car to strip it prior to giving it to your painter (consult with painter). Paint stripping is time consuming and you would hate to have it take a month just to get stripped. That way, the body man could do his thing quickly and then the car could be primed and painted.

Yes, media blasting is an option that I considered, and I thought I would talk to the Maaco guy again about it. Then he could primer it and paint it. Or the media blaster guy could primer it, because it will rust if not primered soon afterwards. I also have to get the hail dents out. Has anybody had good luck with the paintless dent removal guys? Maybe I should check with local insurance agents and see who they recommend.