LSX conversion?

Kinda figured that most with turbo's are losing the A/C box i only talked with one guy who left it but said it was a real pain his is working over seas and is suposed to send some pics when he gets back so i can get a feel for just how bad it was!

Well i have made my mind up i am going to give the Ls turbo a go and hopefully work around the a/c i just need to figure out a block to start with that will handle some HP been looking at the GMPP lsx blocks was thinking the 454 but many say it makes the cyl. walls to thin and one guy already roasted his so i may do the 427 anyone have any input on the newer lsx blocks and if a 427 with nice internals along with a decent turbo would be a good power combo?
Chris

I'm keeping A/C on my car. Unused the BRP mounts. They're a little pricey and the crossmember won't work but the engine mounts fit like a glove and you can retain A/C. I have F-body serpentine system. Not sure if the C5 and truck systems clear the frame rails or not. HTH.

They will both clear if you use the SBC mounts and 1" setback adapter plates. C5 will also work with the BRP mounts, not sure about the truck though. The power steering pump doesn't have much breathing room with the truck accessories...mine barely fit using the sbc mounts and setback plates.

Has anybody tried doing an sts type system ,where the turbo's are mounted at the back of the car in the exhaust,vs underhood?
If it's possible to do,it should alleviate alot of fabrication work,and give much more room for a/c,with the added benefits of a cooler engine compartment,much easier to work on engine, also taking the weight off the front end + putting it in the rear to help with traction, should also handle a bit better too with better weight distribution.

Kinda figured that most with turbo's are losing the A/C box i only talked with one guy who left it but said it was a real pain his is working over seas and is suposed to send some pics when he gets back so i can get a feel for just how bad it was!

I left the AC compressor on my turbo LS conversion, however, I never had a change to get the lines made up before it was stolen.
Here's link to my build thread.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/limited-6l-ls-conversion.300350/

As far at the 427 or 454 LS engines, what's your power goal?

Do you have to have a turbo? What is your power goal? If you want to do this swap start by visiting Jon Bzdel's website. (google it) There are alot of different LS blocks to choose from for starters. You can hit 500hp with some of the blocks/heads naturally aspirated. If you want to go Forced induction read up on ls1tech.com. I personally have an LS1 with a procharger and have kept the a/c. I had to cut my frame and box it back in for this particular set up. You could also move the compressor so you dont have to modify the frame, I kept it in the original F-body location so I could use the off the shelf procharger brackets. Lots of choices...........

Power wise somewhere around 850-1000hp and i do want to keep the turbo being it was/is a turbo car being it will not see the v6 atleast its still turbo! plus that kind of power for a n/a would make it very nasty for street use!

Power wise somewhere around 850-1000hp and i do want to keep the turbo being it was/is a turbo car being it will not see the v6 atleast its still turbo! plus that kind of power for a n/a would make it very nasty for street use!

For that power level, go with a a 6.0L with a BW 480 turbo and you'll be in that range with no problems. If you want room to grow, go with a GT47-88.
As far as the engine, a stock crank with good rods and pistons and a mildly ported set of heads will do the job. There is no reason to go with a 427 or 454 at that level. Are you going with an automatic? If you're looking for an overdrive, then a 4L80E is the way to go. If you aren't, then you can go with a Glide and a 3.2x rear gear and have great performance and relatively low cruising rpm.

Yes a automatic for sure the 4L80E was what i planned on using. I just wonder what the life of a 6.0 is under that sort of power? That is one of the reasons of not playing with the 109 motor i know it can make that power but it's just a matter of time before BOOM! I dont want to cheap out on the build regardless of the block it's getting forged internals and nice ported heads now it's just the question is the lsx block that much better than a truck 6.0 block?

Yes a automatic for sure the 4L80E was what i planned on using. I just wonder what the life of a 6.0 is under that sort of power? That is one of the reasons of not playing with the 109 motor i know it can make that power but it's just a matter of time before BOOM! I dont want to cheap out on the build regardless of the block it's getting forged internals and nice ported heads now it's just the question is the lsx block that much better than a truck 6.0 block?

The life expectancy will depend on the fuel, the tune and your right foot. It will likely live for a long time on E85 with a good tune...even with a stock crank. If you're going to buy an aftermarket block for a 1ooo hp engine, then you might as well get an RHS block. With it, you get the additional strength and clamping capacity of the extra head bolts and will take 80+ lbs off of the front of the car.

Sounds like my kind of build!

I have looked at the RHS block but that is almost double the LSX block which has the 6 head bolts also but is iron i will just add 3psi to compensate for the weight!LOL There is no close E85 stations near my area or i would go that route so it will probably be 93 octane and alky if needed.

Well decided to close the stock A/C hole and smooth it out i will probably go with a vintage air system further down the road. I contacted BRP about their mounts and told them i plan on running a 4l80e and they said i would need to cut the trans tunnel to fit it! I know a few guys here running the same trans and dont think they had to cut to fit so i guess the mounts are different with engine placement. What mounts and pan should i use to have the 4l80e fit without cutting?
Chris

Bump! Anyone running a 4l80e that can help?
No cutting is required on the car. The only mod that I made was to cut the little ears on the sides of the bellhousing.
4L80E_transmissionb.jpg

What mounts and pan you guys using? I talked with BRP they said the tunnel needs cut with their mounts!
Chris

So we saying the guy i talked to dont know S**T figures! What are they 1" setback solid mounts and what pan? Did you have your build posted?
Chris