LSX conversion?

6togo

Where i have my GN body being painted the owner does allot of LS/LSX installs in older cars and said for the money and power that is the way to go being i bought my GN as a roller i dont have a driveline yet so i could go either way v6 or LSX. So my questions to guys that have done this i would still run a single turbo do these still get intercooled and is there anyone who makes a header setup for the turbo? Is A/C possible and cost factor to do a nice LSX compared to say a nice Stage motor? What are the up and down sides to does this?
thanks for any input!
Chris

That is what the guy at the local shop is telling me and he said the make pretty big power without the turbos plus the are fairly bulletproof! I did start reading about the swaps here and the other forums the really only thing that concerns me is fabbing the exhaust. The local guy said run a 90mm single and it will be sweet or get wild and do twins!
Chris

Since your car is a roller you are starting at zero you can choose. The question is what will the car be used for? Is this a street car with a little strip use on occasion or do you want a race car to run 9.00 seconds at 150?
You can build a stock block motor that will make 550 to 600 hp all day long for the street and you will whip 90% of the cars out there. The grin on your face when they figure out its a V6 is nice. If you are looking for 1000 hp you will have to use a TA block and be prepared to spend 25K, it will be bulletproof and do that 9 flat quarter mile run no problem.

There is nothing wrong with going the LS route. A 90mm turbo on the street is overkill, you will never be able to control that kind of power on the street, not full boost. Money wise you may spend a little less money on an LS motor making 1000hp but either way, you still have to have an aftermarket ECM to control it, bigger injectors and fuel pump,a built transmission, a built rear end, better brakes and a roll cage put in the car too.

Is the LS better than the TA route? No its a question of preference. And the guy that goes the cheap route is always disappointed.

Thanks for your input i am not going to make any unthought out choices the main thing that is a neg. for me is all the fab work on the headers,downpipe,and intercooler piping! I plan on running a Fast system regardless and i have a built 9", Big brakes, and well braced frame trying to not do a cage though. The car will mostly see street driving with some track/auto-x time pro touring as some will say but i want to have high 9 power if i want it i can always dial it down.
Chris

Another huge plus with the LSX is parts availability, everything can be ordered from summit or jegs and delivered within a week. That will never happen with Buick v6 engine parts. Pushing a V6 stage or stock block is a ticking time bomb, I've had both in the 8's and they both break. Don't let the fab work on a LSX hold you back, spend a bit more on the fab now and you will be happier in the long run.

How is that thread going to give me idea's no lsx there! I am still open to either way motor wise i just dont have tons of time for fab work but the guy painting my car could do some fab work if i got into a pinch!
Where is a good place to start with doing a lsx?
Chris

He set up his car for pro street like you were talking about. I referenced it not so much for the motor. Options.

Anyone do a lsx conversion yet and kept the a/c? Still keeping this route open if i can keep a/c!
Chris

I'm keeping A/C on my car. Unused the BRP mounts. They're a little pricey and the crossmember won't work but the engine mounts fit like a glove and you can retain A/C. I have F-body serpentine system. Not sure if the C5 and truck systems clear the frame rails or not. HTH.