LS1 into a Grand National

The second sentence alone gets me:

He wanted the Grand National because it had a performance suspension where as the Monte Carlos do not.

Am I missing something here?:confused:

And I agree, that motor belongs in a "plain-jane" regal or a Monte.

i was thinking of pulling the motor out of my camry and putting it in the buick and putting the buick motor in my camry.

I read somewhere they call these guys cross-dressers. :biggrin:

Seriously, whatever makes them happy is all that matters.

i wasnt joking. i did put the buick motor im my camry. ;)

Attachments

• DSC04514.jpg
    DSC04514.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 309
Yippie!!! I have performance suspension!!!

THAT DUDE IS NOT A TEXAN.

HAHAHAHA!!! that's what I thought!!! within the first few sentences of the write-up it says he chose a GN instead of a MC because the GN has performance suspension and the MC does not - true a regular MC does not have performance suspension, but the SS has much larger sway bars than a GN. they guy obviously didn't do his homework. :rolleyes: to his credit though, a turbo Buick does have the 8 1/2" rear vs the MC SS's 7 1/2".

I'm a big fan of the LS series engines. I'd like to do a G-body conversion also, but I don't see the point in doing it to a turbo Buick. It would have made more sense if he had chosen a Monte Carlo SS or any other G-body. But that's just my opinion. :cool:

I have to say if my LC2 breaks again I'm replacing it with an LSx engine. I'll keep the LC2 for posterity, but doing it with 6 is getting tough.

Jim
I can understand what you are saying..... but i think that is why are TR's are as bad ass as they are... Because we do it with a punny little 6....:biggrin: ..... every one has done the V8 thing.... but just imagen doing it with a 6, or getting beat by a 6, its just insane.....:biggrin: ... Remember to all those out there..... there isnt nothing to be scared of. ITS JUST A V6......LOL....:biggrin: :cool:

I have to say if my LC2 breaks again I'm replacing it with an LSx engine. I'll keep the LC2 for posterity, but doing it with 6 is getting tough.

Jim

I have been doing lost and lots of reading
I am having the same problem on pulling the trigger on the 231 re-build
The 87 T I just got this year has a very hard low end knock.

Do I pick up a Crate Ram jet sbc and boost it. Dollar for dollar it’s no too far of.
It’s really a tuff call for me.

And all the V6 stuff is for two things
Bragging if you win
And
A built in excuse if you loose
I just want reliable power V6 or V8 means nothing to me.
David

I have been doing lost and lots of reading
I am having the same problem on pulling the trigger on the 231 re-build
The 87 T I just got this year has a very hard low end knock.

I did the V6 rebuild thing a few years ago. I feel like I've given it a fair shot. I, too, want reliable power. It can be done with the V6, but it can be done easier with a V8. There's no denying the laws of physics.

The cool factor of the GN is indeed the V6, but I wouldn't feel guilty about popping an LSx in there as long as I keep the V6 around.

Jim

Chris Chow's GN has a V-8. I sure wish I had that car.

You can take it. With a SBC in it is just like every other race car out there. Not that there is anything wrong with it but it is no longer a GN in my eyes. The Mystique of the GN is a turbocharged BUICK V6 and how it was so different, so technologically advanced for its time, and how a little V6 in a boat could beat a Corvette to become the fastest American made car of those years. IMHO a GN with a v-8 in it is no more special than a Grand prix with the same engine. :eek:

He'll change his mind after his healthy LS1 gets plastered by a near stock LC2 at the strip.

He'll change his mind after his healthy LS1 gets plastered by a near stock LC2 at the strip.

Exactly. After all the money and time he's going to spend converting it over, it's still only going to run as fast as the stock engine would in good running condition. From reading the article, I get the impression that they had no clue of the potential of the LC2 already had.

If it were turbo'd in the factory layout it would be really cool. I think it has great potential.