LS1/f-body rear brake swap

Here's a pic of the Baer shock relocation bracket......sorry, it's the best that I have handy.....

IMG_1870.jpg

Dumb question: Aren't the G and F body wheel bolt patterns slightly different though? If so how did you get around that?

I'd lovw to have a set of those cable brackets. Ever thought of marketion them?

Wish I had the time to make/market the brackets.
I have kicked around the idea, if I get some extra time I might get a few sets made. I'll post up if I do.

Sorry not yet. I have had quite a few requests for these so let me see if I can get a few sets made up here fairly soon.

Here are the dimensions I threw together for the adapter and bracket. Hopefully you can open it.
If you can't open it send me your email addy and I'll send it that way.
(I'll be out of touch for about a week 12-23 to 12-30, so if I don't respond give me a few days)
HTH

Attachments

• 20081222072516552.pdf
    36.6 KB · Views: 768
where can i get that bear shock relocater bracket i can find there website or a # to call them

I've begun to do this LS1 swap today on my 84 Monte SS, it's been going really well. I got the brackets from the firebird that held the ebrake and brake line and was able to cut them up to make nice line brackets. I'm going to try and bolt the e-brake cable brakcet I made to the lower control arm's rear sway bar bolt (since I don't have relocated arms). Not seeing any clearance problems, my car has Hotchkis springs which don't lower it much at all and I have 3" of caliper clearance to the frame and only 2 before the bump stops hit, so should be OK there. No shock problems either! I have KYB GR-2's and have a good 1/4 inch clearance.

Have a good 3/8 drill bit to do this definitely. I ended up one index size bigger at 25/64 to get the bolts to go through. I'm happy about the extra tire clearance for the 17x9's from the rotors being 1/8 inch or more thicker than steel drums.

I'm going to use the old drum ebrake lever and weld it to the levers and slip the stock cables in, looks like it should work fine.

Fittings didn't match, gonna have to reflare them and use the F ones, mine bottom out in the caliper lines to seat and the F ones have a kind of half double flare that's flat, hard to explain.

lemme think what else while I eat some pizza....

I've begun to do this LS1 swap today on my 84 Monte SS, it's been going really well. I got the brackets from the firebird that held the ebrake and brake line and was able to cut them up to make nice line brackets. I'm going to try and bolt the e-brake cable brakcet I made to the lower control arm's rear sway bar bolt (since I don't have relocated arms). Not seeing any clearance problems, my car has Hotchkis springs which don't lower it much at all and I have 3" of caliper clearance to the frame and only 2 before the bump stops hit, so should be OK there. No shock problems either! I have KYB GR-2's and have a good 1/4 inch clearance.

Have a good 3/8 drill bit to do this definitely. I ended up one index size bigger at 25/64 to get the bolts to go through. I'm happy about the extra tire clearance for the 17x9's from the rotors being 1/8 inch or more thicker than steel drums.

I'm going to use the old drum ebrake lever and weld it to the levers and slip the stock cables in, looks like it should work fine.

Fittings didn't match, gonna have to reflare them and use the F ones, mine bottom out in the caliper lines to seat and the F ones have a kind of half double flare that's flat, hard to explain.

lemme think what else while I eat some pizza....

Do you have any pics?

Thanks Tod for your writeup, it helped a lot. There was one on the Monte SS board but they mentioned machining the axles, don't know why though. I couldn't come up with many pics along the way today that would help anyone much. Also this car is very dirty from wet sanding and buffing the 1996 paint job.

Here's current status, axles back in, backing plates on but not tight
montereardisc003.jpg

the chunk: this things a sumbitch to cut thru...
montereardisc007.jpg

Tire sits out a tad more, looks mobetter
montereardisc001.jpg

Heres a bracket idea, weld these together and cut off the excess
montereardisc004.jpg

Fills 17s much better than drums, sure wish I did this sooner, still have blasting and painting to do yet
montereardisc002.jpg

Thanks Tod for your writeup, it helped a lot. There was one on the Monte SS board but they mentioned machining the axles, don't know why though. I couldn't come up with many pics along the way today that would help anyone much. Also this car is very dirty from wet sanding and buffing the 1996 paint job.

Here's current status, axles back in, backing plates on but not tight
montereardisc003.jpg

the chunk: this things a sumbitch to cut thru...
montereardisc007.jpg

Tire sits out a tad more, looks mobetter
montereardisc001.jpg

Heres a bracket idea, weld these together and cut off the excess
montereardisc004.jpg

Fills 17s much better than drums, sure wish I did this sooner, still have blasting and painting to do yet
montereardisc002.jpg

That looks real nice, how much room do you have left between the caliper and the shock?

Todd, what lower control arms are those??

LOL, man you know those are a TK special!! I actually made those out of aluminum bar (1-1/2 X 2" I think), but have since made new ones again. My new ones are 1-5/8" round bar (aluminum) with spherical rod ends. I made them to adjust wheel base length after I lowered the car and re-set pinion angle. It didn't change the wheel base as much as I thought it was going to but looks cool and, well you know, I gotta have goofy sh!t to make! I'll try and get a pic of those for ya.