LS Swap in a GN Not a fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant wait to apply what ive learned with these v6's to an LS based engine. 2whp/ci on 93 octane no problem with the v6 and really easy with the LS. 2.7whp/ci with alky/93 not too hard either with the v6 and a lot easier with the LS. With 116 octane the v6 is really a grenade with the pin pulled at 4whp/ci. The LS based engine would take just as much as the v6 to build at that level or probably more but the longevity would be much better and it wouldnt take much to make 1000-1100whp and have the production block and crank take it for a while. Trying that with the v6. LOL! Why do guys drop LS engines in their g bodies? Because they can and if they have 9 sec or faster goals they probably should.

I think a 84 or 85 car in primo condition would be the ultimate donour car,cheap in perfect condition.:DPersonally I wish more guys would take the v6 out and put the LS engine in,sure will be lots of good v6 parts coming my way;) Remember it easy:eek: JK

Kevin

LSx= overhype ,water pushing, 3/8" headbolts, BBC weight in small block package,cleveland ripoff,garbage. its for the sheep.

SBC and BBC are the reason why they have LSx only fest lol.

agreed please pass the bong

This is what $250 gets you. 1000+hp 4.8 LS

Attachments

• 48front.jpg
    48front.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 48right.jpg
    48right.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 48side.jpg
    48side.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 48 short.jpg
    48 short.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 207
I beat the hell out of my LS1 C5 years ago. Had nitrous on the car, a blower, then built a turbo for it. When it finally let go, it was just the rings. Everything else looked great. Now would I put a LSx into my GN, probably not, but I don't see anything wrong with someone doing it to have reliable/big horsepower.

I just ran my pig of a WS6 in Noble yesterday. Full weight, t tops, lowered (launches like crap), stock motor, untuned, and a 150 shot and it goes nearly 120 in the 1/4 and didn't blow up. That's why I like LS motors and that's why I'm going to sell that heap and put a similar motor in my GN so I can actually enjoy it.

Yesterday I grudge raced a Camaro with a built ls and procharger. I won;) The Camaro windowed his block:(
Just goes to show any engine can fail at any time. It sucks cause the owner is a good dude and just got it back together.

I was driving my fairly new (400 mile) V6 on the freeway and broke a timimg chain. Just goes to show spending 20k with a top notch engine builder:rolleyes:2k of that for final assembly:rolleyes::rolleyes:doesn't get you far. Ill take my chances with a $250 LS as a starting point.:eek:

Where are you guys finding these for 250? All the local yards around here want $1k min for a late model anything.

Here at my shop I do LS swaps all the time. Turbo, nitrous, blower, been there done that. I love the LS engine as I think it is a powerful compact, plentiful engine that can go good for cheap.

But I wouldn't put one in my T type for one reason. Turbo Buicks earned their rep BECAUSE of the LC2. The ENGINE is what made them a legend. If I put an LS1 in it I now have lost the essence of what makes the car....the car. The whole point of buying one in the first place for me was to own and drive a legendary, rare different and valued member of our automotive history. It's the same reason my 70 Stage1 GS got detuned and is getting a restore to stock(although it's always had a BBB in it.)

If I want to go faster than an LC2 will reliably take me I will buy a regular Regal and proceed to let the welders fly. Any sane individual wanting to go single digits in a car is gonna need cage, fuel system, rear end, suspension and brake mods anyway. At that point there will be so little left of a stock GN what's the point of cutting it up when it's worth more sold as a stocker to get revenue to buy a cheap N/A V6 car to build. Never understand cutting up true collector cars into hot rods when you can usually buy a lesser version, badge it and build it for less....yet it looks the same in the end.

That being said it is his car, he can do with it whatever he wants. However, just like a buddy of mine when he found out his new tube chassis race car(bought already done)was originally a 1970 Stage1 GS, he may be crying in his Cheerios if the value of these cars goes through the roof. I personally take a different view. One less left with the original setup means my car gets more desirable and valuable if a family crisis ever arose and I needed to sell it to make money.

Here at my shop I do LS swaps all the time. Turbo, nitrous, blower, been there done that. I love the LS engine as I think it is a powerful compact, plentiful engine that can go good for cheap.

But I wouldn't put one in my T type for one reason. Turbo Buicks earned their rep BECAUSE of the LC2. The ENGINE is what made them a legend. If I put an LS1 in it I now have lost the essence of what makes the car....the car. The whole point of buying one in the first place for me was to own and drive a legendary, rare different and valued member of our automotive history. It's the same reason my 70 Stage1 GS got detuned and is getting a restore to stock(although it's always had a BBB in it.)

If I want to go faster than an LC2 will reliably take me I will buy a regular Regal and proceed to let the welders fly. Any sane individual wanting to go single digits in a car is gonna need cage, fuel system, rear end, suspension and brake mods anyway. At that point there will be so little left of a stock GN what's the point of cutting it up when it's worth more sold as a stocker to get revenue to buy a cheap N/A V6 car to build. Never understand cutting up true collector cars into hot rods when you can usually buy a lesser version, badge it and build it for less....yet it looks the same in the end.

That being said it is his car, he can do with it whatever he wants. However, just like a buddy of mine when he found out his new tube chassis race car(bought already done)was originally a 1970 Stage1 GS, he may be crying in his Cheerios if the value of these cars goes through the roof. I personally take a different view. One less left with the original setup means my car gets more desirable and valuable if a family crisis ever arose and I needed to sell it to make money.

great post.. when me and my dad restored our stage 1 we also took it back to stock.

people forget about the decade of technology advancements between these motors. the true comparison is the LC2 against the 350 tpi...

I see it coming a new race class V6 Buicks vs LS cars.What a craze,the stands will be packed.:eek:and the crowd went wild

Kevin

The race will take place in the stands,all the v6's will break so it will be win by default;)

Kevin

What I don't get is...how fast do you wanna go? A stock block LC2 will go 10's all day reliably if you know what your doing. A Stage anything V6 will go 9's in a full weight car reliably. Yes, it'll cost more but so what. If I want cheap I'm buying a 4th gen Camaro with an LS and going to town.

Funny thing is, I see an LS powered Grand National and I just lose interest. Honestly who cares? Anyone can put an LS in and go fast these days. Doing this you've just jumped into the me-to crowd. Kinda like taking a Buick out of a GS and putting a BBC into it. Yep, it's cheaper and easier but now the car isn't nearly as cool since I can see the exact same thing with a different badge in a Chevelle.

Sorry if I piss anyone off with my thoughts as it's just the way I feel about it. I signed on to be a fan of Buicks along time ago. When I did I didn't say "I'm a fan......til something easier and cheaper comes along." or "I'm a fan til they stop being able to easily beat their rivals." I feel if your a true fan you work around the obstacles or know the limits of what the car can do. If I wanna go faster than I think it's comfortable limits allow, I build something else to race or get out the checkbook and raise it's limits.

Hey if it was easy, everybody would do it. Oh wait....

If everyone liked the same engine,car manufacturer and power adders we all would be in trouble. We would not have 3 different domestic auto manufacturers we would not have hundreds of different engines from 4 cylinders to mountain motors and everything in between including v-6 Buicks and GM LS blocks. We would only have nitrous maybe turbo's poss superchargers or just all motor. We all have seen probably any motor fail at anytime some get lucky like myself and have had the same motor in my car for 9 seasons and never removed it or hurt it,it lays down over 700 RWHP and runs 9's with a factory 109 block,heads,intake and crankshaft. Myself and Turbo-Tim just removed this motor recently and everything looks great with the exception of the 2 center main bearings they are in the copper. But 9 seasons of hard street driving countless dyno tuning and maybe one or two street races in Mexico because that is illegal in Detroit Little-g faired pretty well. I have new rings and bearings on the way for the freshen up and thats it. See if Little-g may last another 9 years with the same combo.
Bottom line is we all are gearheads and no matter if you spent $100.00 or 50,000.00 to go fast we share the same passion and should respect that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but The v-6 has gone in the 6 second barrier with the Freeman Gallina car and I know Kurt urban has taken a stock style LS motor in Mike Morans old casper camaro and gone high sixes,both cars very impressive and somewaht closely matched.

Status
Not open for further replies.