LS Swap in a GN Not a fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't get is...how fast do you wanna go? A stock block LC2 will go 10's all day reliably if you know what your doing. A Stage anything V6 will go 9's in a full weight car reliably. Yes, it'll cost more but so what. If I want cheap I'm buying a 4th gen Camaro with an LS and going to town.

If the V6 is so reliable please explain how a high dollar DLS stage motor breaks a timing chain with 400 street miles. I am looking for a reliable high 8 second street car, the V6 can't get it done!

stl2267.jpg

Chad Hendersons car is killer cool I think!

If the V6 is so reliable please explain how a high dollar DLS stage motor breaks a timing chain with 400 street miles. I am looking for a reliable high 8 second street car, the V6 can't get it done!
Sounds like a freak failure to me. In 400 miles I'd blame that on a defective part more than anything, not the "engineering" of the motor.

As far as a reliable 8 second street car...Better break out the checkbook and then still pray no matter what motor you have. It takes a ton of power to run 8's with a full weight Gbody. A car that powerful can break anything, anytime just cause of the power. Hell, to go that fast your probably gonna be killing drivetrain and chassis parts even if you do have a "reliable" engine. Unless you swap all those out for better stuff which means in the end you now have a car that "looks like a GN" but is really not anymore.

Having done this whole hot street car thing and having a 1500 plus HP turbo car at my disposal 15 feet from me as I type this.... just dropping a motor in a car, no matter how strong and running 8's isn't the snap of the finger everyone makes it out to be.

Here is my brother's 3300lb stroked LQ9 (LS truck block) with twin 76s that runs 8.0X's, the car is on the second season. He drives it to the track most of the time and gos to cruises drives it on the street and was the third fastest car on drag week this year. Nothings broke yet.
87gn's Channel - YouTube

Get over yourselves.........

:rolleyes: Funny how some people get so worked up over what other people do with their own cars. If you were looking at the cars from an original/investment stand point then there may be an argument that the values have been compromised but if a man's keeping the car for his own enjoyment why should it matter what he does with HIS car? This is what hot rodding is all about. I can't say that I would ever go the LS route with my GN but I'm certainly not going to criticize what another person does with THEIR car.

While it's not a GN, I guess I'm guilty of "ruining" a car too although the car was "ruined" before I got it plus the original #s matching drivetrain was long gone. If I were looking at this from an investment standpoint it would be completely stupid but I'm looking at it as a racer/hot rodder who loves the hobby. The big block Buick aftermarket is extremely limited and the parts available can only take you so far so I went the LS route. Nobody is more hardcore Buick than me but my "new" 70 Buick GS will be powered by an LSx based engine. It was MY choice and the most sensible way to get where I wanted to go with this car. Drive it to the track with power steering and AC, bust off some relatively easy 7 sec runs, load the family up and drive it back home. I've had one of the fastest and most powerful Buick V6s ever built and know what makes these things tick. Going that fast with the V6 comes with a price paid in reliability. Awesome engines and they will always be my first love but time moves on.

I'm sure there will be plenty of purists and VIN sniffers that will hate on me and have nothing good to say about my car when completed. All I can say to them is "embrace it or chase it". Love 'em or hate 'em, the LS engines are simply awesome.:biggrin:

There is life outside of the Buick community.

1300hp on PUMP GAS.............1800hp on TILT.............455 LSx

09-01-11_004.jpg

The big block Buick aftermarket is extremely limited and the parts available can only take you so far so I went the LS route. Going that fast with the V6 comes with a price paid in reliability. Awesome engines and they will always be my first love but time moves on.

I'm sure there will be plenty of purists and VIN sniffers that will hate on me and have nothing good to say about my car when completed. All I can say to them is "embrace it or chase it". Love 'em or hate 'em, the LS engines are simply awesome.:biggrin:

There is life outside of the Buick community.
I agree with you...:cool: My friend Martin ("MAXSIX") just went to see Bobby at RPE his weekend to bring him his engine for some work, and he was telling me about a conversation he had with Bobby about LS engines...Bobby was saying that the Buick V6 will eventually reach it's performance limits and that you can only get "so far" with it and that's it...
Well, I can't say that I disagree...Even if there are numerous 8 and 7 sec turbo V6's out there, they are only a handfull and there'll come a time where the performance level will hit a certain "ceiling", and no matter what the racers will do to them, they won't go any faster, like if all the power available had been squeezed out of the Buick V6 configuration and unfortunately there won't possibly be anymore to squeeze out, and that will be as far as you'll be able to go with that engine. :redface:
That's why Bobby was saying to Martin that when properly prepared, an LS1 motor will run in the 8's and even faster with a lot more potential left, be a lot more reliable, unlike the Buick V6 which if often on the verge of blowing up, and that if he was to build a fast car for himself, he'd chose an LS1 over a turbo V6 Buick anyday...Funny to hear that coming out of the mouth of one of the best turbo Buick engine builders! :eek:...but I understand what he means and to me, it makes sense. :wink: If I had a regular Regal, I wouldn't hesitate to swap the turbo V6 for an LS1 powerplant!...but not in a true GN though...:rolleyes:

Claude. :redface:

The race will take place in the stands,all the v6's will break so it will be win by default;)

Kevin

If you feel this way why do you hang out here?

Dave, its a timing chain seriously your not the only one to break one. I realize you had a bad experience with DLS but get over it. You also did some pretty cool stuff and ran some pretty impressive numbers in the day with the V6 and DLS. Are you seriously trashing on the Buick V6 over a stupid broken timing chain? I look fwd to seeing your next build and what you guys accomplish with twin 67's on an LSx motor on E85. That combo on a Buick S2 V6 like you just sold, I would expect pretty reliable 8.50-9.0 performance even faster if leaned on. Hell Dave you ran close to that with a V6 and a single 70mm!! Why is high 8's on E85 and twin 67's wuth a LSx that much more impressive to you??? Because it is cheap???LMAO!!

With 116 octane the v6 is really a grenade with the pin pulled at 4whp/ci.

First off let me say I feel sticking $15k into a HG blowin oil leakin' 109 motor is a waste when for about the same $$ you can build a S2 block motor and have a significantly more reliable piece. Of course, this is unless you are building it to prove a point and race a class. A $15k S2 block build with production heads can easily make those numbers and can be reliably driven anywhere.

IMO the LS vs V6 argument is ridiculous if you dont plan to run better than 9.0's and make over 1000hp. A Buick V6 can get you there pretty easily and reliably. Going faster than that LS motor has advantages, I wont argue that especially if you plan to go faster than 8.50. Problem is we don't see builds like that on here. We see 10 and 11 second builds and guys ranting about how much cheaper, reliable, powerful etc etc the LS motor is and that's BS at that level. A guy with a 10 sec Buick V6 who cant keep his motor together is going to have the same problems with his 10 sec LSx motor.

Most of us on here fell in love with TRs because of the LC2 it definitely isn't the wonderful mid 80's GM build quality, ride and suspension handling of a now 40+ year old chassis design, lol.

I seriously doubt Dan makes his own timing sets...

Dave No one even knew who you were before DLS. You dominated a class for years with a DLS engine and accomplished a lot if first in this community once again with a DLS engine. Yet you continue to take shots. Let it go!!! Your not the first one to break a timing chain. The engine builder didn't hammer that chain together. Enjoy your new project.

The timing chain broke due to a dls engine/head assembly issue, not the timing chains fault. No doubt dls can build a good motor WHEN everything is correct,which has been hit or miss lately. I am switching to a LS for a reliable 8 sec street motor something not attainable in the v6. The LS is also much cheaper than the Buick for much more reliable power. Should I post up some DLS engine bills vs my LS bills?

The timing chain broke due to a dls engine/head assembly issue, not the timing chains fault. No doubt dls can build a good motor WHEN everything is correct,which has been hit or miss lately. I am switching to a LS for a reliable 8 sec street motor something not attainable in the v6. The LS is also much cheaper than the Buick for much more reliable power. Should I post up some DLS engine bills vs my LS bills?

Why would a S2 block stock style heads Buick V6 (like the one you sold) with twin 67's on E85 running conservative high 8's be any less reliable and any less fun on the street? :confused:

For more than one reason, please leave DLS out of this or I will start really caring about this thread... Admin, please stay on this thread...

Why would a S2 block stock style heads Buick V6 (like the one you sold) with twin 67's on E85 running conservative high 8's be any less reliable and any less fun on the street? :confused:

I along with you thought it would be reliable on the street, it wasnt. I am sick of spending big money with little in return and reliability that's why Im going LS.

Keep an eye out for my new project in the LSX section. All the parts showed up in less than 2 weeks from Summit and Full Throttle.

Im out of this thread... see you guys in the LSX section!

Here is my brother's 3300lb stroked LQ9 (LS truck block) with twin 76s that runs 8.0X's, the car is on the second season. He drives it to the track most of the time and gos to cruises drives it on the street and was the third fastest car on drag week this year. Nothings broke yet.
87gn's Channel - YouTube

Love that car! its what its all about, fun and fast!

For more than one reason, please leave DLS out of this or I will start really caring about this thread... Admin, please stay on this thread...

I agree, I don't want to spend a whole bunch of time editing/moderating this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.