lowering spindels

answer

you will want to buy new spindles, that are cut and made an inch or three shorter. They are "dropped spidles" If you give Power Brake Service a call and give your info they can get you those, and anything in the world of brakes. the number is (800) 504 - 1060 e-mail powerbrakebob@aol.com, or powerbrakeservice.net

Drop Spindles for the G-body will not be 'cut and welded'. They are a cast with a 1" drop. These are also the exact same spindle used by the 82+ S-10 2WD.

Ryan

how sure are you that the s10 spindles are the same? I bent a spindle and need another, insted of buying another stock one i'd like to drop an inch, if you can say for sure that it will be a direct bolt in, i don't want to have to re work the stering geometry or fight with it.

it sounds like a good deal, there are tons of s10's in the junk yards around here and would be a pretty inexpensive way to loose an inch.

what years do i look for, an 82 and a 2002 aren't going to use the same part, or do they?

Thanks!

YES, the 1982-2000 S-10 Front spindle is the EXACT SAME PART as the 1979-1988 G-body.

Even the Drop Spindles have the SAME part number from BellTech and Summit (the Summit ones are made by BellTech)

I built an Award Winning 1987 S-10 Show Truck seen here:
http://spdrcer34.20megsfree.com

Now I'm working on a High Perfromance G-body.

I know what I'm talking about.

Ryan

DROP SPINDLES

YOU GUYS ARE NOT TRYING TO SAY THERE IS A 1" DROP SPINDLE AVAILABLE ARE YOU? I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE YET. I HAVE 2" BELLTECH DROP SPINDLES AND THEY DO PUT THE FRONT END AT A NICE RIDE HIEGHT. HE IS RIGHT ABOUT S-10 SPINDLES BEEING THE SAME PART #'S.

Trouble with dropped spindles is they have the same bad geometry as the stockers. Using shorter stiffer springs is actually a better alternative.

You also have fewer issues with tires rubbing. The oem geometry forces the tire into positive chamber in roll which is the worst possible condition. They have the car set up with about all the Understeer they can design into it.

Dropped spindles or springs, you should get it realigned afterwards anyway.

Hey Guys,

Drop spindles for the G-cars are only available in a 2" drop, if you want a 1" drop you will have to use a spring.

The drop spindles are NOT cut or shorter than a stock spindle, they basically raise the pin on the spindle to lower the car. This will keep all the geometry/suspension travel the same.

Just as a heads up also, it is very had to drop a G-body car 2" in the front without having rubbing/interference problems unless you are running 15" skinnies! :)

Just a heads up.

Thanks

[Just as a heads up also, it is very had to drop a G-body car 2" in the front without having rubbing/interference problems unless you are running 15" skinnies!]

Where do you find the rubbing/ interference problem, on the lower fender edge or the inner wheel well?
I have to replace a spindle and was looking for a 1" drop, but apparently must settle for 2". The 2" drop will leave me with 1" between the tire and the lower fender lip. I just don't want an interference issue between the tire and the fender if I have to brake hard at high speed. I can deal with some inner fender well rubbing problems as long as they are at parking lot speeds. I'm running 225 50 16's on the front with a 16X8 wheel. Thanks

Eric::confused:

Hey Eric,

Basically it is where the metal fender meets the plastic inner fender well. If you were to pull a wheel off and look in the wheel well, there is an angeled piece of metal that connects to the plastic inner fender. When the cars are lowered more than an 1" rubbing will normally occur when turning. Keep in mind there are many factors that can attribute to how bad this will occur (overall width, wheel/tire aspect ratio etc), though the only person that I know that ran the 2" drop spindles without rubbing was on a car with skinnies (the wheels were pretty far in and missed this angled piece all together).

HTH

2" spindle's

I know of a hand full of GN's running belltech spindle's without rubbing problems, tire size does help, but I have gn wheels and 235 60 15 bfg radial ta's on the front of mine.