low boost KR

hvyw8

New to Turbo Buicks and to this site. I have a problem with KR at low boost levels on my 87 GN. Currently, the boost is set at 12 psi and I receive KR anywhere from 5 - 10 deg. I can't go to WOT without getting KR. The tps is set at .44 - 4.72 WOT and fp 45 static with Thrasher 92 chip. I mixed in some turbo blue race gas last week and the KR went away so, it's not false knock. I also taped fp gauge to the windshield and fp increases 1 to 1 with boost. I am using turbolink to tune. I have got the #'s if anyone wants to see them. Please Help!!!

If adding race fuel only and the knock went away, then I would think also no false knock. Layout your combo and that might help us in the direction to go. Since you have the tlink files that should help someone determine the issue. I do not have the tlink app anymore or I would be more than happy to look at them. Sorry I cannot be of more help. State your combo maybe we can see something that stands out. I would however make sure you do a spring cleaning, make sure there is no oil in your intake track and make sure you replace the fuel filter with a new one. I prefer the GM ones as they seem to do better than the aftermarket ones. You might want to try these items first before anything else. Hope this helps.

your boost is 12 psi at WOT or 12 psi when you get the KR? i would turn it down, on a street car it shouldnt be more than 15-16 WOT at 3400+ rpm

how is your turbo? compressor seal leaking oil and burning it out the exhaust?

What about your injectors, the yin good shape?

I have a torque strap and the boost is set at 12 psi max. I'm going to replace the fuel filter tonight and post the results tomorrow.

I replaced the fuel filter, egr valve, and set fp to 45psi. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem plus the vacum line is being blown off the fpr.

What the heck is going on?

One thing I didn't see anyone mention was the coilpack. You might try swapping out the coilpack with a known good unit and see if the problem goes away. Do you have a friend with a turbo Buick that might let you borrow one off his car?

Is there a way to test the coil pack?

I'm new to TR's and don't have a friend with one. If there is anyone in the Birmingham, Alabama area on this messege board please let me know. I really use some help.

I would check your boost lines. It's possible you have a leak and are running much more then 12 #'s. Vacuum lines tend to blow off from too much boost.

Good Luck.

Jason

remove the ignition module and pack as one unit:

Remove 6 spark plug wires.
Remove the connector on drivers side that goes to ECM.
Remove 3 nuts that hold down unit, one is hidden in back I believe.
Lift off whole unit, then remove the pack on your workbench.

If you don't have a multi-meter, the folks at Auto Zone will test it for you.

i am having the same exact problem only i have brand new te-44 and 50lb injectors...i boost up to 12-13 lbs and i start getting 5-7 degrees of knock...i used to get 15-16 but now it's down to 12-13...this is on straight 93 octane...i haven't ever done a top engine clean and was wondering if i have carbon buildup in the motor causing this? i have 85k on the motor...

i am also running ac delco cr42ts plugs gapped at .035

Originally posted by d0n_3d
i am having the same exact problem only i have brand new te-44 and 50lb injectors...i boost up to 12-13 lbs and i start getting 5-7 degrees of knock...i used to get 15-16 but now it's down to 12-13...this is on straight 93 octane...i haven't ever done a top engine clean and was wondering if i have carbon buildup in the motor causing this? i have 85k on the motor...

i am also running ac delco cr42ts plugs gapped at .035

d0n_3d, were you running 16 lbs on that 22° chip with 93? My first guess is the chip is a little aggressive since it's made for alky. My RA 93 chip (20°) would start to get a little knock at 16~17. Now I run 20 lbs on my T100 (23°) with alky. I have a transitional knock problem, but 0 on the big end.
Just get the SMC and be done with it. :D Solves the problem AND cleans the engine at the same time.:)

Maybe check for a leak in your boost guage line. That would cause the guage to read lower and you would turn the boost up to what you thought was a safe level, causing the problems you have mentioned and why race gas cured it. Just a thought.

Scottyb, thanks for the help. I have replaced the coil pack and module. When I seperated the old coil pack from the module it was melted and gooey. Is this correct or had the module gone bad?

If race gas cured it then it's a case of too much boost/timing for the octane of the gas.
Try a chip with less timing in it maybe?

I had the same problem and used GM TOP END ENGINE CLEANER last week and it seems to have cured my KR low boost/speed problem. Its easy to do and worth a try.