Low BLM at idle but really lean AFRs

Turbo6Smackdown

43psi line off at idle, 14.7 - 15 AFR at idle with 116 blm's. Fuel pressure adjustment does zero-nothing at all. After a trip around the block the car re-learns it's bad habits back. I'm starting to think these two scenarios are not related. Pulled vacuum on every line I have - zero leaks. The only thing that could be leaking is my throttle shaft seals. I have a new setup to throw in anyways. If that doesn't help, what else can I do to richen up my idle.
If my idle was lean, wouldn't my blm's be high not low during idle?

Try this.

Reset the chip. Set the translator base to 0%. Start the motor and take a little ride. Shut the motor off then turn translator base to +10%.
That should richen up idle.

BLM below 128 means it's rich and the computer is trying to lean out. Maybe the o2 sensor is going South. What is the o2 reading for the stock sensor? Or, the wideband sensor is reading lean and add more fuel pressure is making it run rich. But I'd go more with the first.

BLM below 128 means it's rich and the computer is trying to lean out. Maybe the o2 sensor is going South. What is the o2 reading for the stock sensor? Or, the wideband sensor is reading lean and add more fuel pressure is making it run rich. But I'd go more with the first.

O2 sensor's good. I'll need a pyrometer to check it though, and I don't have one. I don't know the reading's for the stock sensor, I use WB. I can get it for you though. CC's are good though. I can assure you my car's a lot leaner at idle that it likes. This car loves a 13 idle afr. Super smooth and quiet. Anything past that and it idles like it did in 1987 lol (like shit) How is the car running lean AND the blm's still pulling? When I add a but load more fuel with the regulator it idles a little better at first, but then the blm's start to drop even lower.

For whatever reason, the O2 sensor is telling the ECM that its rich. ECM compensates by pulling fuel till its happy, resulting in 15 AFR and 116 blm

43psi line off at idle, 14.7 - 15 AFR at idle with 116 blm's. Fuel pressure adjustment does zero-nothing at all. After a trip around the block the car re-learns it's bad habits back. I'm starting to think these two scenarios are not related. Pulled vacuum on every line I have - zero leaks. The only thing that could be leaking is my throttle shaft seals. I have a new setup to throw in anyways. If that doesn't help, what else can I do to richen up my idle.
If my idle was lean, wouldn't my blm's be high not low during idle?
Your computer program has a desired target for A/F ratio at an idle. In closed loop operation the O2 sensor sends information to the computer telling it what the current A/F ratio is. If the information from the O2 sensor says the A/F is richer than the target,it will lean it out to get to the target. If you raise the pressure to richen it,the computer will lean it back out to get back to the target A/F ratio and the BLM number will change to a lower number. The only way to run a richer idle A/F ratio is to use a chip with an open loop idle option. Do you know if your chip has this option?

FYI,you should be able to run 14.7/1 A/F ratio at idle. If you can't,I say something is wrong.

Last edited:
So you are closed loop in idle? Set your TT chip for OL idle and it should idle rich like you want it. My guess is that the chip commands extra fuel at idle to make it a little rich if you choose open loop idle. If you have it set for closed loop idle, BLM's will be low because it needs to pull the extra fuel out that the chip is commanding. The chip should be running off the narrowband and closed loop will adjust for 14.7:1.

Try this.

Reset the chip. Set the translator base to 0%. Start the motor and take a little ride. Shut the motor off then turn translator base to +10%.
That should richen up idle.
This will cause the computer to lean the A/F out in an effort to get back to the targeted 14.7/1 idle A/F ratio which will lower the BLM number more than it currently is. If he wants to move the number up,which doesn't matter at all,I would have him set the base to 10% lean,drive it around to re-learn,then turn on the open loop idle feature if the chip has one.

Just check with Eric, but I'm pretty sure the chip already commands fat idle fueling and going open loop idle will solve this. My TT chip is OL and idles at 13.8:1 or so. I think in the past I tried CL idle and saw low BLM's until I subtracted fuel out of my Gen II translator. At the end I think I came to the same conclusion that it idles smoother when a bit rich and just put it back to OL.

Just checked narrow band. Works perfectly. clocked maf and a LITTLE richer at idle :) Still figuring out my tv cable. New slicks on. Wheels don't spin. Hope it's not as a result of lazy kick down

I am in open loop idle. Idles 14.7-15, which for my car is lean. It idles, just not smooth. When I used to run a gen 2 translator I used to throw in a little extra fuel at idle till it got smooth and it was around 13.5 or so. Idled dam near like my new car. Every car is different. Mine loves a slightly richer idle. Sent the chip back to Eric to richen the idle a little and zero change. :( Don't know how that happened but... Ah well. The clocking of the maf seemed to help a little. Running the 10% rich setting on the scan master. Zero change in between those settings. I will try some tricks from this thread.

This will cause the computer to lean the A/F out in an effort to get back to the targeted 14.7/1 idle A/F ratio which will lower the BLM number more than it currently is. If he wants to move the number up,which doesn't matter at all,I would have him set the base to 10% lean,drive it around to re-learn,then turn on the open loop idle feature if the chip has one.

I do have closed loop idle option but have been in OL all this time. So for this trick are you saying to put the chip in CL idle, THEN do the 10% lean base, re-learn the car, then go back to OL idle?

Wanna make sure I got this right before I try 'er out. I ask because if you say 'turn on the OL idle feature if the chip has one" implies in my mind that I should start out in something that isn't OL idle. Right?

I do have closed loop idle option but have been in OL all this time. So for this trick are you saying to put the chip in CL idle, THEN do the 10% lean base, re-learn the car, then go back to OL idle?

Wanna make sure I got this right before I try 'er out. I ask because if you say 'turn on the OL idle feature if the chip has one" implies in my mind that I should start out in something that isn't OL idle. Right?
1. Disconnect the orange wire.
2. Closed loop idle.
3. Let it learn.
4. Take note of the BLM number and idle quality in park and in gear.
5. If you still want to move the BLM number higher,set the base MAF setting to 10% lean.
6. If you do change the MAF setting,let it re learn.
7. Take note of the BLM and idle quality in park and in gear.
8. Turn open loop idle on and take note of BLM and idle quality in park and in gear.

Last edited:
There is no way to turn on open loop idle on with a tt chip. It is activated after the car is initially warmed and driven.

From 6.1 chip manual.

This chip utilizes an open loop idle mode for smoothness. The first time the car is run after the ECM is reset, open loop idle mode will not be enabled. This is to allow the BLM’s to learn quicker. Once the car is warmed up and driven around, the next time the car is started, open loop idle will be enabled for a smoother idle. The A/F ratio will typically be in the 12.5-13.5 range at idle

There is no way to turn on open loop idle on with a tt chip. It is activated after the car is initially warmed and driven.

From 6.1 chip manual.

This chip utilizes an open loop idle mode for smoothness. The first time the car is run after the ECM is reset, open loop idle mode will not be enabled. This is to allow the BLM’s to learn quicker. Once the car is warmed up and driven around, the next time the car is started, open loop idle will be enabled for a smoother idle. The A/F ratio will typically be in the 12.5-13.5 range at idle
My Extender Extreme allows you to turn it on or off. I assumed the TT was the same.

New Plan
1. reset the computer.
2. Drive the car around for awhile.
3. Before turning the engine off,note the BLM,A/F,and idle quality in park and in gear.
4. shut the engine off and restart.
5. Note the blm,A/F,and idle quality in park and in gear.