Lost my Alternator yesterday.

kirbdawg69

I hate my sceen name :(
So driving yesterday and lost my Alternator on my daily driver. Which alternator do you guys suggest to get? This is my daily driver and it nothing to special (well it is a GN) I dont really need a billion amp alternator for this car. So my question is... has anyone picked one up at the local parts store and had good luck? Not looking to spend a ton of money. Thanks for looking and any inputs

I need one myself.
I check all the local autoparts stores and they're all "special order"

Not sure why.
I didn't want to have to order one online and wait for it to show up (and have to pay shipping). Just wanted to pick one up and put it on.

Don't know if you guys are handy at all but i have an alternator. The internals are all good as it was only used for 2 weeks til my head gasket went, but when taking it off the nut that holds the positive terminal post on the back of the housing came off in the alternator. So you if you can take it apart and put it back together (or know someone who can) it's all yours for $25 shipped.

I put a 140 amp one off an an SS impala when my alt died... Do a search. I posted part numbers and other info...

This alternator is rated at 120 amps. Part number 1105685, model CS144 .

I would NOT buy an alternator from volume Auto Parts places. Locally, I get electrical stuff from All Parts, a small local chain. My mechanic also uses their parts.

A quality rebuilder would also be a good choice. If you see people ripping apart & trowing things together as fast as they can through the side, don't use that rebuilder!:biggrin:

I almost forgot, you can pull up a rebuild artilce and rebuild the alt yourself. I just did one.. Just needed a few pieces... $15 bux...:cool:

Yes, you can do it yourself *IF* all it needs are brushes. Bearing replace normally needs pullers & presses. You need an ohmmeter to find shorts & opens in the windings.

I bought a remanned alternator at Napa. That was over 2 years ago and since I've logged on maybe 1500 miles. So far it's not given me any problems.

Go to Pep Boys and get an alternator off of a 1995 Chevy Impala SS. It should bolt right up, but I've heard that some of them need reclocking. Damn near always in stock and they have a lifetime warranty.

EDIT:

I put a 140 amp one off an an SS impala when my alt died... Do a search. I posted part numbers and other info...

Yeah, what he said.

thanks for all the info guys. If I get off at a good time tomorrow I will check on rebuilders and then hit up pep boys if i have to.

Here's the link to the rebuild for the stock 120 amp unit.

Alternator Rebuild

BTW the bearing replacement is a PITA but it can be done. I used a rubber mallet (no press) and some creative pulling :eek:. Got it aprt, cleaned and back together. No biggie.

If you want to replace, try NAPA- in my other post I listed the part numbers etc... for the 140 amp alt.

Good Luck either way.

hello people; Bostongn go to auto parts rebuilders Lawrence Mass. 978-683-9508 a little over $100 to do a complete job and I was quoted $40-$50 to do the bearings. They did a MC starter for me and it seems good.
Mass hole here
IBBY

Bearings only cost about $15 for the pair at your local autoparts store... They're not that hard to do yourself.

Not being mean but, if you find doing some simple bearings hard, then you might want to reconsider owning a TR... It gets very expensive if you can't do at least some of your own work...

Good Luck

hello people; The older I get the less things I want to do. I have enough stuff going on so for an inspection and some bearings I can swing it. But your correct about the price of stuff for these cars. Even years ago the price was up there. Who knows what the future will bring.
see ya
IBBY