lost all gears, any guesses?! pics attached

1987boosted

Yesterday I got new wheels and tires mounted. After about fifteen miles transmission started slipping under load. Thought I was going crazy, so I punched it again, lost all gears, no reverse, no od, nothing! Pulled transmission, looking down the input shaft i see a rubber seal and what appears to be something broken. On a good note the stance is sweet now with the new rims. Transmission is a pts extreme street. Any input is appreciated on what could have happened. I couldn't help posting a pic with the new wheels, and suspension, it's been a long road getting here.. Thanks for any help..
IMG_20130719_193448.jpg
IMG_20130720_165943.jpg
IMG_20130720_170238.jpg

Pump looks to be broken. Pics are blurry, so I can't be sure.
Could also be the input shaft is wrung off, or the stator support is toast.
Time to pull the ft pump out, and take a look.
What does the drive snout on the converter look like?

Convertor looks perfect, the first pic is just gasket material that looks to have twisted from somewhere in there, second appears to be a piece of steel from something that is close to input shaft, sorry for the blurry pictures, phone pictures are not too hot

Convertor looks perfect, the first pic is just gasket material that looks to have twisted from somewhere in there, second appears to be a piece of steel from something that is close to input shaft, sorry for the blurry pictures, phone pictures are not too hot

Could be a chunk of the pump....

Broken nub off the forward drum would be my guess. Been there a couple of times..

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

thats what happens when the converter isnt properly shimmed from the flywheel when needed , except for stock converter on a stock flywheel almost every aftermarket converter needs some shim between converter and flywheel to maintain the pump engagement

looks like youll need a new pump

How do u know how much shim to use, sorry for hijack!

thats what happens when the converter isnt properly shimmed from the flywheel when needed , except for stock converter on a stock flywheel almost every aftermarket converter needs some shim between converter and flywheel to maintain the pump engagement

looks like youll need a new pump
I am curious as well, as the car has never had shims installed. How do you determine shim spacing?

if its anything like a 350 behind a chev you should be able to pull the converter towards the motor OUT of the trans and up to the flexplate around 1/8 to 3/16" use a drill bit to measure the gap to the flexplate with torque convertor hard in the box

Would a pump falling apart cause no gears except neutral??

Yep. No fluid flow, means no clutch engagement...
It's too late now, but you could have checked it by checking fluid level w/ engine off. Then check again running. Did the level go down??Yes = pump running. No = no pump action.

push converter back away from flywheel (against pump) , measure clearance from converter pad to flywheel

you want the converter to be off the pump a minimum 1/16" but no more than 3/16" ,
so if you measure less than 3/16" at flywheel just slide it to the flywheel and bolt it up ,
if more than 3/16" add a shim (hardened washer) to get clearance just under 3/16"

quick checker is a nickle and a dime stacked .. if they slide in and have room to go you should use a shim

It's too late now, but you could have checked it by checking fluid level w/ engine off. Then check again running. Did the level go down??Yes = pump running. No = no pump action.

Its to late? So the tranny has to be rebuilt? I think this is what happended to mine. I had a few gears go out and barely made it home, that was 9 years ago. It leaked out all the tranny oil in my garage one day when I turned the car on. I just now started fixing it... LOL

Took the pump out and replaced.. See below for pump taken apart..

Attachments

• 1376096190969.jpg
    1376096190969.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 172
Were you with the car for the entire wheel tire swap? No shop joyrides.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Yes, it had nothing to do with Firestone complete care, plus I know everyone there, and even then.. It was going to fail eventually.. Learned on this one

Plus this is my cars favorite spot! On jack stands and me complaining on that last bolt..

And I forgot to post my cars favourite spot! When it stays put, it runs!

Attachments

• 1376166413727.jpg
    1376166413727.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 148
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I never realized it needed to be shimmed, I truly appreciate you taking the time to post. It was installed in 2002 without shims. Lasted a long time, but it's starting to make allot more power, so that may have something to do with it. Thanks a ton. I'll update once I put oil in it next weekend..