Losing my mind over oil leak

I installed a brand new rebuilt engine in my car and it leaked oil at the first start up. Driving it blew it all over the downpipe and everything on back. I went to re-torque the valve covers and the first bolt kind of popped loose when I barely loosened it. I re-torqued the 1 bolt down and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

Most people run cork VC gaskets since our heads have a cast finish on the cover rail. They usually take one or two re-tightinings before they find their happy place and stop leaking.

Is there any chance the oil you're seeing now is residual runoff from when you had a leak?

the best way I know to find a phantom leak is to clean and degrease the hell out of the engine... drive around the block and then throw baby powder on the engine. Wherever the seep is will light up like a crimmus tree.

Or foot powder - in the spray can.
$1 at Dolllar Tree

I DIDN'T have a puddle under my car once. Scared the hell out of me!
Yeah,Mine is not leaking a drop since I finished it a couple of months ago.I think I did something wrong and was thinking about loosening something up and let it leak so i'll know its right!!

I have been chasing a leak too, I was pretty sure it was the passenger valve cover. I replaced gasket and it still leaked. Come to find out my header gasket (copper) was interfering with the valve cover seating. I clearance the valve cover and I think I may have stopped the leak. I have retightened the valve cover a few times after driving it. I'm using cork gaskets.

I had the same problem with my passenger valve cover when I took my motor apart. My oil was leaking out on the back by the heater core and running down and blowing on the downpipe and crosspipe. It was leave a bit oil spot in my yard. It took me a few times to retight it to get it right. My rear main still leak but it make a straight line on the ground right where the flywheel and converter is located.

Make sure your valve cover breather grommets are not baffled

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Get two cans of Gunk Engine Degreeser and break clean... get under that car and spray it down good with the degreeser and let it sit for about 15min..spray it off (perferably with a pressure washer) let it dry. then drive the car for a few hours and get back under the car and see where the fresh oil is at. Also use a good light to see under there. break clean is so you get those hard to reach places....But you have to clean all the old stuff to see the new..but i am guessing it could be from the back of your valve cover gasket.