Loose converter bolts

Blkt6

I had a knocking sound and found the 3 converter bolts loose. I was able to remove with fingers only.
What should I torque them to?
Should I use loctite also?
Thanks

I don't know the torque spec off hand and honestly dont measure it. I put them tight, and personally used grade 8 bolts and lock washers although many use blue loctite. Probably best to buy a new set of bolts and use blue loctite.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Always use loctite. just a bit of blue will work if you have it,if you use red go sparingly.
These can be a pain to torque, tight and then a few whacks with a nice dead blow on the wrench
will work if you cant hold the flywheel to torque the bolts.
The proper torque depends on what converter and what style bolts it uses.
Non stock converters can use a variety of different fasteners.

Bolt torques here:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/torque.html

Factory converters are a metric M10 x 1.5....commonly sold in the Help section at parts stores.
Metric bolt ratings do not directly cross over to US bolts.
There ratings are different, an 8.8 metric does not = a grade 8 US.

Factory converters are a metric M10 x 1.5....commonly sold in the Help section at parts stores.
Metric bolt ratings do not directly cross over to US bolts.
There ratings are different, an 8.8 metric does not = a grade 8 US.
Sorry I didn't know what bolts he was using and honestly didn't think about it. Mine uses US bolts

Its a TCI 12" lockup 2800 stall converter that replaced the stock one. I think they are the stock bolts. their 15mm and dont look new.

I had a knocking sound and found the 3 converter bolts loose. I was able to remove with fingers only.
What should I torque them to?
Should I use loctite also?
Thanks
Use the 10.9 metric bolts with serviceable Loctite and goodntight will get the job done, also don't tighten one bolt at a time,just snug one then rotate flexplate and snug the other two or it will put flexplate in a little bit of a bind.Last but not least, whatever you do make sure you use the same length bolts as the factory ones or you may dimple the converter where the lockup clutch rides and it will smoke the clutch because the clutch will only apply on the dimpled areas. Good luck

Sorry I didn't know what bolts he was using and honestly didn't think about it. Mine uses US bolts

Not a problem AC man, I had to learn all this for work stuff I do. Here is a cool chart that helps me to understand it.
strengths.gif

And gunz is correct on this... very important to use the correct length bolts
on a stock lock-up type
converter.
"whatever you do make sure you use the same length bolts as the factory ones "

Clamp a visegrip on the flex plate, allow it to rest on the trans case/block. Torque them up.

I also noticed noticed the flex plate holes are larger than the M10 bolts that go into the converter so there is some movement. Is that normal? I haven't tried tightening them yet.

I also noticed noticed the flex plate holes are larger than the M10 bolts that go into the converter so there is some movement. Is that normal? I haven't tried tightening them yet.
Yes it will move about 1/16 of an inch or so, that's normal.Thats another reason not to tighten first bolt down, you wont get the other ones started.