looking to max out combo...

qwks6

Boost junkie
Before I call my vendors of choice, I'd like to ask you guys about options... What would you do?

I want to get a new turbo / converter combo to max out my 60#ers, and walbro hotwired fp.

No need to overkill, I want a street/ strip turbo that spools with as low stall tq as possible but still puts up huge numbers at the track. I am leaning towards the newer PTE BB turbos... probably a 61mm compressor with a smaller turbine. Only what I have in mind.

Armed with fresh turbo lou longblock and ported heads, I think I can have a very nice street drivable low 11 sec car. What do you think? What stall, brand torque converter matched with which turbo?

Good question, my thinking is that the amount of fuel I can add with my stock computer/ fuel pump/ injectors would slow my down, and I could achieve as much hp out of a smaller turbo and keep it more street driveable. But if I'm wrong please correct me. I know the potential is higher with a larger mm compressor, but I was more worried about going too big if you know what I mean. I had problems at the track with spooling, wrong stall and turbo, and the thing screamed once it spooled. Now my worry is going too big when a smaller turbo may be more suitable for the street.

That being said, I always want the t!ts! 66 and 67 turbos look awesome, lots of potential.

I had a CPT 66 on my car for a while. Stock converter, was a blast on the street. When I went to the 9" NLU 3400-3600 Art Carr converter it just melted the tires. I have absolutely no problem spooling a 72 with the current converter. I haven't even fired up the new motor yet but I would bet the converter is too loose now with the extra cubes and compression.

Good luck with it. I don't think you will be unhappy with the 61 if you decide to go that route. I just know most of us are not happy very long with what we have, why not go larger.

Bryan

What turbo do you currently have?
What have you run with it and your rebuilt engine?

:)

The new 6057 DBB w/ S cover would be a great. Prolly work great with a 2200-2400 converter.

I believe the 6057 is rated around 630hp. 6262 is rated almost 700hp.
Do you think you are going to make over 630hp?:p

Armed with fresh turbo lou longblock and ported heads, I think I can have a very nice street drivable low 11 sec car. What do you think? What stall, brand torque converter matched with which turbo?

Low 11's is not maxing out imo.

I have a 6157bb with a ptc 10" 2800 n/l on my stock longblock car. It's a very nice setup and would probably even benefit from a slightly tighter converter. 275 mickey's just spin in 1st gear and sometimes in 2nd when full boost hits. If I were given the choice to do it over again I'd still purchase the same turbo but see about getting a converter in the 24-2600 rpm range.

Thanks for the replys. I was running a CPT 61 but I traded it, now I'm looking to get something new. The turbonetics trubo had to go for smog, and I am getting my cards lined up for the spring...

I didn't have the right converter when I ran it after the rebuild, so I was a slug off the line but when it spooled it pulled pleanty... I can't remember the MPH in the 1/4 but I believe it was around 111. My ET was in the high 12's due to poor 60' times. That's why this time I am looking to get the right converter matched with the right turbo that will stay on there.

I really like that these bb turbos can have such a low stall. Also, I'm sure low 11's isn't maxing it out, that was probably the wrong term. I meant to ask what would get me there with ease with my setup and proper turbo/converter combo.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm still reading up and researching all the options...

Cheap, simple and tried and true. Pat's 12" 2800 stall l/u and a TE44 or TE60. Then tune it. Low 11s no problem and fun on the street. Don't forget GOOD tires.

A 61mm BB turbo with a 2400 stall 10" L/U will be a great 11 second combo and drive like a stocker.
This post should be stickied somewhere for the "I want to make big power and drive like stock" crowd, myself included. I have a 10" 2800 ptc n/l in my car and with the ballbearing 61mm, it's a bit loose I think as it just blows the tires away too easily. The 2400 sounds perfect though most people are probably afraid of trying a low stall until they experience good converter tech and ball bearing turbo's.

This post should be stickied somewhere for the "I want to make big power and drive like stock" crowd, myself included. I have a 10" 2800 ptc n/l in my car and with the ballbearing 61mm, it's a bit loose I think as it just blows the tires away too easily. The 2400 sounds perfect though most people are probably afraid of trying a low stall until they experience good converter tech and ball bearing turbo's.

Your exactly right. People still have the idea they need 3000-3200 stall with a 61mm turbo and it simply isn't true. Mostly due to the ratings years ago being incorrect. A 61mm BB turbo will work very well with a 2400 stall converter.

Your exactly right. People still have the idea they need 3000-3200 stall with a 61mm turbo and it simply isn't true. Mostly due to the ratings years ago being incorrect. A 61mm BB turbo will work very well with a 2400 stall converter.

3000-3200 is about what my stall is at for a 88.... :biggrin: