Looking into Wheel Adapters

LomoMike

GN Rookie
Hey guys, just got a car! 87 GN t tops. Had 4 Front GTA wheels on it. 1/4" spacers on the fronts with 225/50 tires. Has some rubbing when i turn hard. Also the back wheels have 255/50 mickey drag radials in them and currently are very close/rubbing the inner fender. Looking into a 1.25 or 1.5" wheel adapter to fix the problem. Which you you guys recommend? There are hub centric and some others. Ive included a link to both i am considering. Let me know. I know they come with new studs and nuts. Dont know if the hub centric for the corvette will fit.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_75_To_5_Lug_4_75_7_16_p/5475-5475k.htm

Will these fit?
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Hub_Centric_Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_75_Corvette_p/5475-5475hv.htm

I find it weird that you have to use spacers especially since you have 4 GTA "fronts"…They usually fit ok but could it be that your tires' sidewall bulge is sticking out too much?…

Claude. :)

Possibly, next time it goes up on the lift ill check it out closely. There are some rub marks on the inner fenders and when i out my hand back there i barely have enough room for my fingers between the inside of the tire and the inner fender wall.
I find it weird that you have to use spacers especially since you have 4 GTA "fronts"…They usually fit ok but could it be that your tires' sidewall bulge is sticking out too much?…

Claude. :)
sibly

I don't see the tire size you have being an issue.
If it does rub on a hard corner I would suggest an HRparts rear sway bar
A 1.25 " spacer is a huge amount to install !
I run a 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson Drag Radial on an 8" rim with a 3.75" backspace and have no issue with rubbing , although I did roll the fenders

Bryan

A lot of guys run spacers on their GTA front offset rims to push the wheels out and fill out the wheel wells. Especially if they have the fender flares too. I ran those 1 1/4 hub adapters for a couple years with no issues for that very reason. On my new build I have a different wheel tire combo and won't be using them. Selling the GTAs too. Don't be scared off from running them unless it's primarily a track car.

Found the issue, the drivers side rear tire is rubbing the frame. Passenger side is fine??? How come passenger side has clearance and drivers doesn't. I have heard that the rear axles can sometimes be off centered slightly on these cars.

Also, gonna go with a 5/16" spacer on the one side thats rubbing. Not drag racing the car. Mr. Gasket from summit racing has em cast aluminum for $17. Really wanted billet or stainless steel tho. Anyone know where i can get better ones?

I bought some GTa wheels from a member. 4 fronts. No rub up front and have Hoosier street slicks in the back with finger space (which is plenty) no issues. Rear end in your car could be slightly off center or have some issues with control arms possibly bent? Has the car been crashed?

What do you guys think, should i just go with 1.25" wheel adapters on the rear to avoid all clearance issues and push the tires out a bit for a good look? I think that may be the answer and I've heard they are safer than the slip on spacers.

Here is an update on my current ideas/questions:

I noticed yesterday that my rear drivers tire is hitting the frame/inner fender and has less clearance than the passenger side rear tire. I have 4 front GTA wheels on the car with M/T 255/50 drag radials. Surprised to find out that the diff isnt perfectly centered, heard that these cars sometimes come from factory like that. And also surprised that im having issues with 4 front gta wheels. Where is the stamp that says "front" on the wheels located? Gonna make sure they are fronts.

Anyway regardless of what i have i have to make a change for proper fit. I'm looking into a set of quality spacers/adapters. Leaning towards adapters. Seen the cheap cast aluminum spacers from summit racing (Mr. Gasket) and they don't look like something i wanna put in my drive wheels. Looking for CNC machined billet aluminum. Heard that wheel adapters can be safer than slip on spacers, and i could kill 2 birds by fixing my clearance issues while improving stance (wheels are so far from wheel well on the outside).

Question is... Would you go with adapters or spacers? What size?

Also, with adapters...hub centric or not?

Also, will i need longer studs for any of these applications?

Found these spacers/adapters below on eBay, they look better than the Mr. Gaskets and are CNC machined, tell me what you think or give your recommendation on some billet aluminum adapters/spacers if you know of any. Thanks.

Don't really want to buy off eBay if you guys know of someone that makes them that will def fit our cars.

Example Adapters:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_5_Lug_4_75_To_5_Lug_4_75_7_16_p/5475-5475k.htm

Spacers:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/191669922401

The body could also not be centered on the frame if you're rubbing a wheel well tub. I would do some measuring/tweaking and try to get the body and rear-end centered as much as possible on the frame. (My GN from the factory was 3/8' off side to side. I fixed that when I replaced the body cushions a few years ago.)
Then drop a plumb-bob down from the inside of the outer fender and measure to the tire bulge. Thats how much that you can push the wheels out. Subtract a little margin for safety (you don't want to cut the tire) from that and you have your adapter thickness. I would never put thick spacers on(more than 3/8").. Too much stress on the wheel studs. So that leaves adapters. CNC billet is stronger than cast. Hub-centric is better at centering the wheel. You pick how much you want to spend vs. how much you want to compromise. You shouldn't need longer studs to mount the adapter. Most adapters have holes recessed to have enough lug engagement.
Hope that helps a little,
Rob

...Oh and the front/rear markings is on the inside mesh of the wheel.

Last edited:
I haven't seen one G body that had a perfectly centered body/frame straight from the factory. Close was good enough for them, especially when they used stock sized tires.

The body could also not be centered on the frame if you're rubbing a wheel well tub. I would do some measuring/tweaking and try to get the body and rear-end centered as much as possible on the frame. (My GN from the factory was 3/8' off side to side. I fixed that when I replaced the body cushions a few years ago.)
Then drop a plumb-bob down from the inside of the outer fender and measure to the tire bulge. Thats how much that you can push the wheels out. Subtract a little margin for safety (you don't want to cut the tire) from that and you have your adapter thickness. I would never put thick spacers on(more than 3/8").. Too much stress on the wheel studs. So that leaves adapters. CNC billet is stronger than cast. Hub-centric is better at centering the wheel. You pick how much you want to spend vs. how much you want to compromise. You shouldn't need longer studs to mount the adapter. Most adapters have holes recessed to have enough lug engagement.
Hope that helps a little,
Rob

...Oh and the front/rear markings is on the inside mesh of the wheel.
Damn, just ordered 1/2" cnc billet spacers and 2" dorman studs last night. Should i cancel and go with adapters? I heard that a member on here had one go on him and ruin his entire quarter panel. Want to go with the safest/strongest option. Whatever i order will be high quality. These are the spacers i ordered. I can still cancel...

4pc 1/2" (0.5") 5x4.5 & 5x4.75 Flat Wheel Spacers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWHH91M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_n9czwbZ78CTAX

I wouldn't run them. I'ld try to center the body first.