Looking for opinions on a solid high 10 sec combo

Sleeper-6

OK, I'm in the middle preparing a new bullet for my Buick. Upon tear down I found a spun rod bearing on #1 and a nearly .035 of end play from a thrashed thrust bearing. I'm not sure what killed what, but it's all going bye-bye :cool:

The plan so far consists of a DLS or Webber stroker kit (need opinions here too) in a 109 block with billet mains. Going to re-use my current roller cam. I'm planning additional porting on the intake side of my heads and port matching the lower manifold. Maybe doing roller rockers. Adding good stock location IC. I'm going to see how far I can take the TE-61 before upgrading.

Let me know what you would add to this or change.

I am not in the 10's but I read alot so here goes.;)

I think you have everything there to run 10's except the turbo. A 6776 dbb will put you right where you want to be. Then again....people have gone 10's with smaller turbo's than what you have so I guess it depends on the tune.
Red Armstrong went 10.80's with a TA-49 and 009 inj's back in the day.:eek: Go figure...

I second the 67bb. First good pass went 10.80 @127 - then they asked me to leave! It is a blast on the street.

I like the idea of a nice new turbo and it would make my goals easier to get attain, but I'm not sure if it's going to be in the budget. At least it's easy enough to change when the time comes.

Grumpy, The stroker prob is overkill, but since my crank is thrashed and the pistons are going anyway. The only thing that the kit has that I really don't Need is the rods, but I figure a stout bottom end can't hurt anything. Also I do 95% street cruising with the car so having the additional torque and cubes to aid spool up would be nice to have.

I am not in the 10's but I read alot so here goes.;)
........ Red Armstrong went 10.80's with a TA-49 and 009 inj's back in the day.:eek: Go figure...

Having been around these cars for 20+ years, I missed the "day" Red went 10.80 with a TA 49 and 009's, so please direct me to where I can verify this info?:confused:

10's how? Pump gas, pump gas and alky, race gas, e85 , DR or slicks. I can run high tens on 93 and DR. But you need alot to get there. On slicks and alky will get you there much faster. And are we talking full weight? I run the my times with the spare tire and jack in the trunk. But if you put it on a diet this will also help. And I'm not sure the stroker is overkill, but if you have the money to spend I think you will not worry about breaking anything. Stock crank and rods are good parts, will get you in the tens with no issues. I know you have some issues but if it has miles on it then its not unheard of. I run a stock crank 10/10 and bushed stock rods. I have 25 psi oil pressure hot and beat the hell out of it. I put my money in the heads and turbo.

I am running DRs, and do have razors alky kit on the car already. She tips the scales at about 3750 with me driving, so it's no lightweight. This car is 95% street cruiser with the occasional trip to the track so I'm not looking to strip it down to save weight. I'm looking to build a stout motor that doesn't have to be run on the ragged edge of a tune to get into the 10's
My crank was reduced to a big paper weight by the #1 rod bearing. The journal measures nearly .025 under size. The rod is no better. So I figure if I have to replace parts, now is as good a time as ever to upgrade. It's much easier to swap a turbo later than it is to change short block parts.

Good info. I guess if I were you and needed to replace the crank I would go aftermarket. So a stroker fits the bill. But after that a bigger turbo will seems smaller with more cubes. But I think a 67bb will fit the bill. It will get you in the 10's rather easy and can do it on DR. Plus it should spool decent on the streets with a good convertor, with you will need with the power you will be making. I run a n/l and I know not everybody likes them, but I will never burn the lockup out and only hurts me a few mpg's. Plus not fearing anything on the street is nice too. Not to say you wont get beat, but there aint that many high hp cars out there. And it only has six pistons.