Looking for advice with Exhaust Systems

i got the 2.75 aluminized with the bullets from se turbo and it sounds great.well at least from what i remeber its been 2 yrs since it been together:mad:

Just call them I talked to Keith he is the owner for about an hour.They did a test with ALL the popular mufflers and said that there no Diff. JUST in sound NO performance gain from one to the other just PREF. in how you want it to sound.

I paid $765 shiped for 3" DP,3" test pipe with flange and 3" doules with the FlowMaster Super 40 2 chambers......

The fact that FlowMasters actually flow less is fundamental. If you want to argue it, you might as well put a bunch a baffles throughout your exhaust pipes and say that it doesn't matter. Now, we're not talking about a 50HP difference here, but it does make a difference in some respect. The design of those chambered mufflers simply is not the best for flow. Whoever claims there is NO flow difference from muffler to muffler and it's all a matter of sound is just plain wrong.

flowmaster2.jpg

They can give them cute names like "power chamber" all they want but fact is your exhaust flow just hit a wall and had to dance around a bunch of baffles instead of flowing straight out.

flowmaster_50_suv_series.jpg

The exhaust gases have room to expand, slow down, and lazily find their way out of the "maze" instead of having a straight through muffler to aim it directly out.

I'll say it again, I would not spend a single sent with someone who tells you they found "no difference" in flow. :rolleyes:

go with the hooker system. i like the fact that its quiet so all the car next to me hears is my turbo spoolin up. keeps the car low key which is huge around my area, the cops love to give loud exhaust tickets which they did to me in my old WS6 with long tubes and a borla catback...friggin 75 bux, what a load.

I went with the Houston stainless dual 2 3/4" system w/3" Magnaflows. It has a nice deep tone at idle, you can still hear the spoolup when driving and has a nice throaty growl when you open it up. :biggrin: Also no 'drone' when crusing on the hyway. This system uses the OE exhaust hangers in the rear too, so there arent any brackets visible on the tailpipes. It cost around $750 for everything, fits well and will probably never need to be replaced.
I got mine from JaysGN: Bolt on Performance II

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bill

The fact that FlowMasters actually flow less is fundamental. If you want to argue it, you might as well put a bunch a baffles throughout your exhaust pipes and say that it doesn't matter. Now, we're not talking about a 50HP difference here, but it does make a difference in some respect. The design of those chambered mufflers simply is not the best for flow. Whoever claims there is NO flow difference from muffler to muffler and it's all a matter of sound is just plain wrong.

flowmaster2.jpg

They can give them cute names like "power chamber" all they want but fact is your exhaust flow just hit a wall and had to dance around a bunch of baffles instead of flowing straight out.

flowmaster_50_suv_series.jpg

The exhaust gases have room to expand, slow down, and lazily find their way out of the "maze" instead of having a straight through muffler to aim it directly out.

I'll say it again, I would not spend a single sent with someone who tells you they found "no difference" in flow. :rolleyes:
Very well said :biggrin:
why are there so many people against flowmasters on these cars? is it just because of flow?
Some reading and Research would help with that ;)
This is based on a V8, but should help. You'll notice that the Super Turbo muffler (a 3 chamber muffler) out flows a 40 seires flowmaster. I also don't see the Utraflow..hmmm I wonder why
img18.gif

very nice...almost sounds familiar:smile: i dont care what people say, i like my flowmasters:D

i cant see how running dual 3" 40's is more restrictive then what some people have on their cars like a 3" Single Shot, but maybe un just crazy:eek:
Walks away muttering under his breath and shaking his head " he should have had a V8"

my friend has 2 1/4" glasspacks:eek: oh no!

those ultra flows must be somethin special...i read they idle 80db, 2000rpm 90db, and WOT 120db!

Walks away muttering under his breath and shaking his head " he should have had a V8"

:confused: im confused?

I went with the Houston stainless dual 2 3/4" system w/3" Magnaflows. It has a nice deep tone at idle, you can still hear the spoolup when driving and has a nice throaty growl when you open it up. :biggrin: Also no 'drone' when crusing on the hyway. This system uses the OE exhaust hangers in the rear too, so there arent any brackets visible on the tailpipes. It cost around $750 for everything, fits well and will probably never need to be replaced.
I got mine from JaysGN: Bolt on Performance II

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bill

Bill, How long ago has that been, just wondering if they still sale the Houston products?

Bad feedback on the Hooker from me....Junk! My rusted out at the first bend in just a touch over two years w/ less than 3k mile. Oh & try to call them to get a replacement section. :rolleyes:

Bill, How long ago has that been, just wondering if they still sale the Houston products?
QUOTE]

Scott,
I purchased the system in 2004 from Jay. He has TH products listed on his website. I'd give him a call to find out what the current price and avalibility is.
Bill

My car was bought in '99 with what i believe is a Hooker cat back with the Hooker mufflers. I eventually changed just the mufflers to the Welded Ultra Flows and driving it right from the muffler shop i felt the car was stronger immediately. They sound great with a little growl at idle but scream when you go WOT, which is fine by me.:biggrin:

I really want to thank everyone that voiced their opinions on this subject, i really have been bouncing between systems trying to figure out which one would be the best for my situation. It took me until just a few days ago to make a decision :eek:
I went with torque tech's 3" Single Shot with a flowmaster super 40. I know, i know, they dont flow as good, but they have been proven as quality products to me. Both my brother and one of my friends have been running 40 series on thier cars for the past few years and they have held up great. I was really worried about dynomax's packing, which is one of the reasons i am getting rid of my old exhuast anyway, the welded chambers seem like they will last longer.

But of course; after i got to thinking about it, if flow is too restrictive for racing, ill just open the dump :D

I know the decision has been made, but I thought I'd throw my own .02 in for the archives.

I started with a Torque Tech 3" dual system back in 1998. I bought it used for $50 w/out mufflers. I bought cheap 'super turbo' mufflers for it. It lasted until 2008 when it rotted through the mid-pipe. I don't drive the car much so the condensation just sat inside it. I have no complaints about the system and the people at Torque Tech are very nice, having sent me free hardware twice over the past 10 years.

I replaced the TT system with Jack Cotton's 3" dual system with Magnaflow 'straight thru' mufflers. It sounds awesome and I picked up 5 PSI of boost over the old system. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. I don't know if it was the cheap auto-parts store 'super turbo' mufflers or the giant chunks of rust (the THDP was rusting from the inside out, too) that had the system plugged up, but I had to turn the boost bleeder WAY back because I was hitting 30+ PSI when I was only maxxing out at 25 before. I also now have a nice part-throttle compressor surge that I didn't have before.

I recently took a 1.5 hour ride out to CK Performance in Long Island and it is a little loud at highway speeds. It was starting to get to me after awhile so I'd moderate my speed to get it out of the drone spot. I still love the way it performs and sounds though.

Anyway, here's a sound clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

Jim

I know the decision has been made, but I thought I'd throw my own .02 in for the archives.

I started with a Torque Tech 3" dual system back in 1998. I bought it used for $50 w/out mufflers. I bought cheap 'super turbo' mufflers for it. It lasted until 2008 when it rotted through the mid-pipe. I don't drive the car much so the condensation just sat inside it. I have no complaints about the system and the people at Torque Tech are very nice, having sent me free hardware twice over the past 10 years.

I replaced the TT system with Jack Cotton's 3" dual system with Magnaflow 'straight thru' mufflers. It sounds awesome and I picked up 5 PSI of boost over the old system. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. I don't know if it was the cheap auto-parts store 'super turbo' mufflers or the giant chunks of rust (the THDP was rusting from the inside out, too) that had the system plugged up, but I had to turn the boost bleeder WAY back because I was hitting 30+ PSI when I was only maxxing out at 25 before. I also now have a nice part-throttle compressor surge that I didn't have before.

I recently took a 1.5 hour ride out to CK Performance in Long Island and it is a little loud at highway speeds. It was starting to get to me after awhile so I'd moderate my speed to get it out of the drone spot. I still love the way it performs and sounds though.

Anyway, here's a sound clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

Jim

Sound clip link not working. Any others?