Looking for advice with Exhaust Systems

budget_crx

I am looking at buying a new cat-back system for my Buick and need some help with how they sound. I want a fairly loud, grumbly system that is not too obnoxious for a daily driver. I'm considering the Hooker system, but ive heard that its very quiet, So i'm also looking into TorqueTech's 2.5" dual system with thier muffler substitutes. With my 3" DP and cat delete will this combo be way too loud? If you have a sound clip of either or some other system suggestions it would be very helpful. thanks!

what's ur definition for obnoxious?:D to u or the cop/person next to u?

mainly the cop next to me, I've gotten alot of tickets for stupid crap in my cars, things like no front plate, excess noise and too dark tint; so i would like to avoid that. Yours sounds amazing! I was really curious to hear what 40 series sounded like on a turbo buick; they sounded great on my brother's small block so i assumed they were the same with the 6. thanks for the proof

86BlackT- I found a used ATR single shot for sale on another forum, but i would still like to hear one first

BuickGn Boosted- My manual cutout works for now :D

I have one car with a stock style exhaust for quiet driving that is until I open the electric cut-out!

I have another with a full 3" Dual with twin flowmasters. It is very loud. You can hear it coming down the street.

I prefer the stock style for noise purposes. It's only loud when you need it to be...:D

Kirban says the Hooker system is one of the quitest they've tested, is it any louder than stock?

+1X100 for the TorqueTech's...I have there 3" DP, test pipe and there 3" Cat back with the Flowmaster super 40 2 chamber and LOVE it.Fit was right on bolts back in stock location just have to cut the test to fit and weld the flang on.....From what I hear and have seen in the past Hooker uses thin metal the TorqueTech's is 16 gauge Aluminized in the steel were Hookers is just coated Aluminized.

Can try to get a clip of what mine sounds like if you would like.

+1X100 for the TorqueTech's...I have there 3" DP, test pipe and there 3" Cat back with the Flowmaster super 40 2 chamber and LOVE it.Fit was right on bolts back in stock location just have to cut the test to fit and weld the flang on.....From what I hear and have seen in the past Hooker uses thin metal the TorqueTech's is 16 gauge Aluminized in the steel were Hookers is just coated Aluminized.

Can try to get a clip of what mine sounds like if you would like.

i wanna hear the super 40's! my friend has them on his GTP with headers, no cat, 3" dp that i put on for him and...well lets just say 3800 series II engines dont sound the same as GN's! he needs some serious dynamat too:eek:

I have the Hooker 2.5"

I think it definately sounds better than stock. It has a nice low rumble at idle and comes alive when you step on it- but doesn't make your brain itch...:D

bullet muffler

if your looking for a loud sound and good performance gain then try this muffler out all youll need is for a muffler shop to make you a custom exhaust i would go with a single shot 3" style.
Dynomax Performance 24222 - Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded Mufflers - summitracing.com

Thats exactly what I used on my exhaust - works great for flow, but driving anywhere without a headache is a real challenge. I would not recommend it for a daily driver, hell even a weekend warrior for that matter.

Going to try a Hooker Ultraflo muffler next - maybe that will get the decibels down to civil level.:confused:

my exhaust is pretty close to the hooker style setup (except they dont make any kenne bell buick parts anymore), nice low rumble at idle and then when you stomp on it, the exhaust cancels out and the turbo comes ALIVE!!!!

" I am looking at buying a new cat-back system for my Buick and need some help with how they sound. I want a fairly loud, grumbly system that is not too obnoxious for a daily driver. "

You want a dual 3" exhaust, preferably in stainless for corrosion resistance on a driver.

3" has a deeper throatier sound than the 2.5" systems and less drone I think.

A used 3" ATR stainless crossflow would also work, but they are out of business so used is all you could find with this system.

Just my .02, if you have the ability to hear some systems that's the best way to find out how they might sound on your car.

i wanna hear the super 40's! my friend has them on his GTP with headers, no cat, 3" dp that i put on for him and...well lets just say 3800 series II engines dont sound the same as GN's! he needs some serious dynamat too:eek:
Flowmaster are the WRONG muffler for these cars :rolleyes: and don't flow as well as others like Dynomax ultraflows.

atr singel shot here

I don't know how to post a sound clip but I can tell you when it idles it sounds like a v8. Cruising 35 to 45 mph the infamous "drone" will set off car alarms within 20+ ft away. No tickets for it yet. Definetly the loudest system around for the turbo 6. I like the v8 sound so it's perfect for me.

why are there so many people against flowmasters on these cars? is it just because of flow?

Also, has anybody tried torque tech's 3" single shot? or does anybody know whihc Dynomax mufflers they use? All the have listed on the site is "super dynomax" :confused: