looking for advice on engine build

Rigo's 87 GN

I looking to rebuild my stock engine. Want to put a roller set up from comp and want to do some internal work. Looking to maybe do .30 over. Want to know what input u guys have on the 206 or 212 roller cam kit. Also want to do champion intake and heads. Don't know if aluminum or stocks. What injectors size should I get? Harland Sharp rockers? Headers? I already have gn1 external waste gate downpipe and gn1 3 inch duals. What turbo should I use? Looking to build a good 1/8 car possibly 1/4 from time to time. I appreciate any help thanks!

You might want to reconsider the .030" overbore. If the cylinders will clean up with a .010 overbore, that would be a better plan.

You might want to reconsider the .030" overbore. If the cylinders will clean up with a .010 overbore, that would be a better plan.
Why do u think .30 is to big? I do wanna make more power. I was thinking of a stroker build. Wanna be a low 11 second car. But like I said I'm clueless right now.

Why do u think .30 is to big? I do wanna make more power. I was thinking of a stroker build. Wanna be a low 11 second car. But like I said I'm clueless right now.
Going straight to .030 is one less rebuild out of the block. Depending on your location, this would be a good conversation to have with a resident Buick builder. There is a real Buick professional in every region, and they will be able to give you the best direction.

You are "using up the block" faster. I kept my bore stock. 206 roller works very well, will go mid 10's with mid to upper 20's on boost with ported irons and good turbo. Set goal and it's all in the combo.

It's not that it is to big, it just might not be required.

You won't gain much to any power with a .030 overbore, but the cylinder walls will now be thinner.

Better to leave as much material as possible.

It's not that it is to big, it just might not be required.

You won't gain much to any power with a .030 overbore, but the cylinder walls will now be thinner.

Better to leave as much material as possible.
Ok makes sense.

Yeah. If I can get in high 10s I'll be happy. So u guys think 212 cam is too much. Will the 206 work better for my goal. So stay away from the stroker? I see gn1 offers a few stroker options. Any feedback on those? If I don't have to I prefer not to used too much boost.

Is turbolou a vender or shop?

I don't know Turbo Lou personally, however, I do know that Turbo Lou is a World Renowned Turbo Buick Engine Builder of Legendary Proportion, a God amongst Men, if you will!

His reputation is exceedingly huge for building Bad Boy Buick's! From what I can gather, he's built some of the fastest cars on this board, a huge supporter of the forum and a true asset to the community! Go read the "Kill/Fish Stories" section, namely, "the mean chicken" and you'll be a believer!!

Lucky you to live near Turbo Lou! If I lived anywhere near the Left Coast then he would have my business! Although you West Coast guys are fortunate enough to have plenty of knowledgable Buick guys out there!

http://turbolou.com/About.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is turbolou a vender or shop?
Turbolou is a Buick builder. One of THE most reputable names in the Buick family. Having him build your stuff not only is a privilege, but also a wise decision.

Diving into rebuilds on these cars usually include horror stories of failure, you can look through "engine tech" all you want. Only horror story I've heard from Lou's is the time The California department of Fish and Game took his Sheep away..:D (You'll learn about that):p

Hell you don't need a stroker for 11's, l have nothing but bolt on's, a good trans Husek, TQ, 1st class suspension, good tires. Best et 11.22 best mph 119.8

Come to bates, lou and nick will be there.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I will check him up. Had my GN for about 7 years but never really had the time to play with it like I always wish. So there's a lot of learning to be done

For the times you're looking for, you do not need to spend a bunch of money on big ass hard parts. These cars in a decent state of tune are low 12s/high 11s with basically preventative maintenance bolt on's.

These aren't N/A V8's. It's easy to make power without having to tear into the engine and spend money all the time.

On the potential overbore amount, you're jumping the gun. Until you get the heads off and a bore gauge down the holes, you don't know anything yet.

If you block takes .030" go thirty, if it takes .005", go five.

I believe Lou usually has a built engine sitting on the engine stand. I sent a buddy down there one day, had a new engine and his car running the next day and picked up. Can't get any better than that. I've been working with my machinist on my engine for 7 months :D

Well since you didn't give a budget or hp/1/4 mile goals.
I would say do all of the above.
Forged Stroker kit
Steel caps and Girdle
T/A aluminum heads and intake
212/212 roller cam
6466 bb turbo
That'll put a smile on your face :) and these faces :eek::( on those foolish enough to race you.:D
AAh, i just love love advising people on spending their money. ;)

But seriously you should come up with a realistic, performance goal and a max budget to spend and then talk to one of the builders suggested to you on the best way to meet those goals,but always be aware that you may want to go bigger/faster in the future so build with that in mind,like maybe getting larger injectors,fuel pump, etc. etc.then what is needed for the current build in case you want to go faster in the future, you are not buying and upgrading twice, same goes for most other things in the build,if you are like me and are always wanting to go faster,then plan ahead for it.
Also realize that it usually takes alot longer and costs more then you are expecting when you begin a build. Good Luck.

Last edited: