Looking at a 1987 Porsche 928 S4...what can you tell me about it (vid/pics)---

alwayscode390

Anyone know good or bad things about the Porsche 928 S4?
There is a 1987 with 95k miles close to me for sale.
It is white with maroon interior ... and an automatic.
I think these came with a 5.0L V8 with 325hp ... top speed around 170.
What should I look for when I inspect it?
Are these cars collectable?
Will it be hard to resell in a couple years if I need to?

Vid:

Pic of interior and Engine:
2a7fojq.jpg

34hhwjn.jpg

I know next to nothing about these cars but can you tell us what the asking price is? I don't know if you watch Wheeler Dealers but they had a show about late 70s 928s that was pretty cool:

TTT at least, /shrug

I was waiting for this to pop up. There is one two blocks from my parents house thats been sitting for over ten years. I was thinking making a hybrid . I never asked what he wants for it. Just make sure it wasnt the one Tom Cruise drove in Risky Business.LOL

Someone told me the front engine Porsches are just Rebadged Audis and not considered real Porsches by enthusiasts?
I am actually considering this as a trade for one of my projects ... I just want to get it and sell it , figuring it will be easier to sell a running car than a non-running car.
NADA value on these cars is $10,500 to $17,000.
Starting to second guess that thought though ... thanks for the vid :) ---

Thanks for the read Charlie. I am starting to learn they were pretty unreliable and cost a TON to fix ... I probably shouldnt jump into something like that.

I am comfortable with the TTA and 67RS Camaro , if they dont sell I can always keep them ;) HAHAHA ---

I was just going to say the same thing. I am (or was lol) an avid Porsche fan/guru and have done a BOATLOAD of research on Porsches. Was about this far (approx a quarter inch) from trading my GN in for a 90's 911, but after my reconnaissance, I figured that I couldn't afford the maintenance itself. They're a HORROR in that department. Tons of dealer only items, that cost 3 TIMES what our cars cost. I hate to say it, but Porsches are just an expensive car made to drive around on Sundays to show off how much money you have. They're SUPER expensive post purchase, and not at all practical. A monumental waste of money. Sure they have the most professional wins of any car company on the planet, and are super cool looking cars, but that's about it. They're not even practical for a toy in the garage. Hell, I can't even get their drivers to race me on Woodward lol.

(Even their owners are lame... If you're going to spend 90 grand on a fast car, DRIVE that ***** for god's sakes, or SELL THE DAM THING! lol. )

Also one more thing from personal experience, they rattle alot and from what I have seen are not very well built.

To be honest with you I would not walk away from one of these I would run.

Everyone I have delat with has had window, door and electrical issues that were nightmares to fix.

This was a prosche for the masses and it really was not that impressive.

Again this i sonly my personal experience

I'm no expert in this subject but have had more than a few Porsche friends tell me that the 928, and 914 were the "bastard step children" of Porsche. I can't remember why, but just something I remember.

My old boss had a 928 S4 I got to drive a bit. It was a nice driver decent power, awesome brakes and a very sweet exhaust note. The down side was it cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

The 914 and 924 were the VW/Kharmin built cars that were the red-headed stepchildren. The 928 was supposed to ultimately replace the 911 but sales of the ill-handling 911 kept it alive, and now they've engineered the rear engine issue out. The new-new 911 actually has the engine in front of the rear axle for the most part making it near mid-engine but electronics in the mid-90s helped greatly with all 911 handling. The 911 lost its charm for me when they went water cooled. Air cooled 911's, even turbo ones, store well due to the lack of coolant. I'd stay away from all automatic Porsches though, but the manuals, especially old 911's, are pretty easy to keep on the road. Not until the 90's did they really become more than a glorified VW. If you can read and understand a service manual, you can own a 911. And the 928s, especially the late model mid-90s ones, are awesome! The only V8 Porsche made until that sacriledge Cayenne came out. But they can be a handful with the maintenance. It's a pretty well built car and motor though. And it is Porsche built.

The 924 also became the 944 later but with Porsche drivetrain and was a pretty good little car. The 2nd gen RX7 was similar but I don't remember who copied who but they made turbo versions of both.

I raced one on Whalley Ave. in New Haven in 1988 and won. :p

Musta been the Kenne Bell chip. :D

Right in front of the Porsche dealership too, unfortunately it was at night and they were closed. :(

I always liked the looks and I bet it would be a good car for the V6 Buick turbo to reside in......

I thought they were the personal luxury Porsche kinda like the Jaguar XJS that would be another good home for the V6 Buick motor. :cool:

I've always loved the 928's, but would hate to own one because the cost of parts is probably the highest of the Porsches. I've seen a couple older and somewhat clean 928's for under 2k. Those would make a cool LS swap project. It would help the handling a bunch too since the Porsche V8 is almost 800lbs fully dressed.

I have a good 928 story to share. Back in '98 I was driving in a line of cars through this canyon road on the way to college. I noticed a very impatient 928 driver poking his nose out a couple cars back. I get on the freeway and the 928 follows. He rolls up next to me and we get into it. Instant kill. He tries again with no luck. He falls back a few cars and tries to get a running start. I let him get next to me before I get on it. I saw the back just for a second before reeling him in and handing his butt back to him. That's when I realized it was a S4. He ended up pulling into a different parking lot at the school. Fast forward a few hours later and I'm in a class. A guy in my class rolls in and sits down at the desk next to me. He throws down his car keys hard so everyone turns and sees the Porsche emblem on them. I turn and say, "so you have a Porsche?". He replies with a smug "yeah". I ask him what type and he says it is a black '88 928 S4. I ask him if it is fast and he says "very fast". Then I ask, "faster than a V6 Buick?" he says, "that was you?" I say, "yep". He never said a word me again.

I have a good 928 story to share. Back in '98 I was driving in a line of cars through this canyon road on the way to college. I noticed a very impatient 928 driver poking his nose out a couple cars back. I get on the freeway and the 928 follows. He rolls up next to me and we get into it. Instant kill. He tries again with no luck. He falls back a few cars and tries to get a running start. I let him get net to be before I get on it. I saw the back just for a second before reeling him in and handing his butt back to him. That's when I realized it was a S4. He ended up pulling into a different parking lot at the school. Fast forward a few hours later and I'm in a class. A guy in my class rolls in and sits down at the desk next to me. He throws down his car keys hard so everyone turns and sees the Porsche emblem on them. I turn and say, "so you haver a Porsche?". He replies with a smug "yeah". I ask him what type and he says it is a black '88 928 S4. I ask him if it is fast and he says "very fast". Then I ask, "faster than az V6 Buick?" he says, "that was you?" I say, "yep". He never said a word me again.

lol priceless!

That's soo ****** awesome it's not even funny. I would feel SOO good in that class every day lol. I'd make sure to sit next to him every time after that lol. Priceless.

It was my best kill for sure simply because of the situation. This was about 4 weeks into the semester and this guy was already getting on everyone's nerves. Every day he would complain to the instructor about the direction the curriculum was taking us and how he was spending so much of "his" hard earned money for nothing. He missed a bunch of classes and when he did make an appearance, he would show up late. I'm sure the 928 was Daddy's since I only saw it a couple times after that. He was driving something else the rest of the time.