Lockup and cooler flow

ijames

On a stock 200-4R how does the tcc lockup affect the flow through the transmission cooler? I seem to recall that if the converter is not locked then there is less flow? Is that right? Is it possible to burn up a trans by driving it on the highway at normal (65 mph :)) speeds while unlocked? Long story short a friend has a defective vss so the ecm wasn't locking the converter, and his trans died, and he wants to know if that could be the reason. Thanks.

good questiong. from what i remember being told you dont want to drive for a prolong period of time with the converter unlucked. now if you have a non lockup converter thats a different story

On a stock 200-4R how does the tcc lockup affect the flow through the transmission cooler? I seem to recall that if the converter is not locked then there is less flow? Is that right? Is it possible to burn up a trans by driving it on the highway at normal (65 mph :)) speeds while unlocked? Long story short a friend has a defective vss so the ecm wasn't locking the converter, and his trans died, and he wants to know if that could be the reason. Thanks.

Yes this info is correct. The LU configuration needs to be locked to get maximum cooler flow. Unlocked for a long highway cruise will cause failure eventually. Its hard to say how long it will take but the planetaries will overheat and fail eventually. If you are going to run a NL then you have to convert the pump. Otherwise find the reason for your non lockup condition and fix it.

I can verify this. Drove from Albuquerque to Las Cruces and didn't realize the converter had not locked up a little south of Albq. Drove almost 100 miles and just entering the "gorge" of Mitchell Point heading south I let the car run down the mountain and as it was going back up the other side, the cruise set the engine into full boost and max rpm's. Kicked the cruise off as fast as I could and realized there was a trail of smoke following me. Almost didn't make it home as it spit fluid out the vent and lost 4th and 3rd. Coasted as far as I could as I didn't want to stop and leave the car on the highway. Finally got the gears back and lockup never happened again. Underside of car is covered in brown fluid and now I have to go thru the trans because of the solenoid failing. Was the 700 style and only a few months old. Vigilante has to go back for clean out and refreshening along with inspection of all planets and total rebuild while it's out.

I can verify this. Drove from Albuquerque to Las Cruces and didn't realize the converter had not locked up a little south of Albq. Drove almost 100 miles and just entering the "gorge" of Mitchell Point heading south I let the car run down the mountain and as it was going back up the other side, the cruise set the engine into full boost and max rpm's. Kicked the cruise off as fast as I could and realized there was a trail of smoke following me. Almost didn't make it home as it spit fluid out the vent and lost 4th and 3rd. Coasted as far as I could as I didn't want to stop and leave the car on the highway. Finally got the gears back and lockup never happened again. Underside of car is covered in brown fluid and now I have to go thru the trans because of the solenoid failing. Was the 700 style and only a few months old. Vigilante has to go back for clean out and refreshening along with inspection of all planets and total rebuild while it's out.

Plan on replacing every bushing in there. They will all be blued from the heat.