Line lock worth the $$$

Everyone that I talk to that has done the S10 wheel cyl and soft shoes says if you do a burnout without line lock you severly overheat the rear brakes or can't do one at all. I'm on the verge of doing my rear brakes and bought a linelock but haven't put it in yet. From what I've see at the NEBRA meets, most guys that have them just went straight from the mc to the unit placed on the ds fenderwell. I haven't specificly asked if they have any problems with they method of hookup but a slew of them are running some very fast times and do use it.

I'll let you know if its worth it. ;)

Started sprinkling here today so I didn't get to go Englishtown.

I put the S10 cylinders and soft brake pads on and the highest I went up to was 15psi without spinning the tires. Not sure how much more it will hold and that was with the Nittos. Basically, it will be hard to do a proper burnout to heat up the tires now.

I've got the Hurst line loc (from Summit) installed at the proportioning valve with switch on the gear shift lever. No problems with anything yet, although I've only tested it about 5 or 6 times.

My first time testing it I wanted to see how smooth the release was so I just floored it once the tires started spinning and let go of the switch. 2 60ft black marks later I thought it was a quite smooth release. :D

One plus is they're cool for doin' long smokey John Force-style burnouts when you leave somewhere pissed!!!:D

Adam

Line lock

If yer going to race, and you want consistancy, you need max traction ... best way to get sticky slicks is with line lock. Had Hurst "Roll Control" for years no problems yet. You'll need to bleed the system after install. Nice way to make a "coil" is to wrap the steel flex line around a beer bottle...
ds

Re: Line lock

Originally posted by Dave Simpkins
Nice way to make a "coil" is to wrap the steel flex line around a beer bottle...
ds

Dave, I guess this means you would have to discard the beer in some way...;)

:cool:

Hey Guy’s
Not to sound like an idiot but what is the differences between a line lock and a trans brake. I know that a line lock will lock the front brakes and trans brake puts trans in reverse. But what are the positive aspects of each. How much do line locks cost and how difficult are they to install? I need to lower my reaction time and I think this would really help.

Thanks
David

Well, the purpose of a line lock is really to let you do a nice burnout without undue wear to your car (rear brakes). Not sure that I've heard of anyone using them for launches though I guess it might be possible, just probably not very effective... :confused:

If you're looking at improving your RTs a trans brake is probably what you're after. Not sure what the best one out there is now as I've heard good and bad about all of them, but doing a search here should give you a good start. That being said there's really no substitute for knowing your car and working on your driving skills to get the best times. Good luck!

-Jade

A line lock is one of those things that after you put it on and use it at the track, you say "why didn't I do that 5 years ago?"

Really helps foot brake launches because the rear brakes don't get cooked.

Also a MUST when using aluminum brake drums to keep from grenading them.

Mount it down by the frame and no one will know you even have one.

I just bought the Hurst roll control. Look like a nice unit.

Haven't had it out of the box yet but I hope it came with some instructions:eek:

Originally posted by NEARING
I just bought the Hurst roll control. Look like a nice unit.

Haven't had it out of the box yet but I hope it came with some instructions:eek:

The Mr. Gasket website has a PDF copy of the instruction with lots of installation options.

The one thing you need to remember is NPT male to inverted flare female adapters need to go between the roll control body and the brake lines.

other than that, piece of cake.