Line lock or trans brake?

1 quik6

I have now had my car to the track twice in my life. For bracket racing I am NOT consistant. My ET's have varied directly with my 60ft times. I can't seem to lauch at the same RPM/Boost twice. I am really trying to bring up the RPM's as much as I can with the TC but the car wants to push through the lights. As a result I let slightly off the gas so I don't red light and my holeshot fails. I had a 1.70, 1.80, 1.90 & 2.0 all on the same day.

My thought is that if I had some sort of line lock I would not have to worry so much about the footbrake and focus more on my reaction time. The problem I have is the car has 23,000 miles and is so clean I hate to start chopping it up. I've been keeping every stock part I take off and the only thing I've done so far that would be hard to reverse is install the subframe connectors (still bummed about that install) but it always could be done. So what is the least invasive way to improve my holeshot without ruining the long term resale of my car?

Any pictures, tips, success stories out there? I have NO experience with any kind of line locks so please explain. I know some lock the front brakes for the burnout but burnouts have never been my problem. I don't want the rear tires to start spinning on the starting line.

Thanks!

Simple

Line lock is for burnouts. You really dont have to add or modify anything. Just set scanmaster to RMP, stand on the brakes, pull the E brake all the way up, and let go all at once at desired boost level or RPM. You will shoot out like a cannon!

If it were me I would use a link lock on all four corners with a 2 step. Trans brake is the best way to go but if you're only going to the track once in awhile it's hardly worth it.

With the L/L on all four it will hold way better and the 2 step will let you put your foot to the floor and concentrate on the light. The 2 step will let you adjust the launch RPM to the level that the L/L will hold it. You can installthe L/L and still be able to put it back to stock later on if you want.

I thought a line lock was for heating the tires only..??.... T brake for lauching??

That's what most people use it for but it can be used for launching as well. Using it on all 4 wheels is a trick that some of my friends use that don't have trans brakes.

Line lock is for burnouts. You really dont have to add or modify anything. Just set scanmaster to RMP, stand on the brakes, pull the E brake all the way up, and let go all at once at desired boost level or RPM. You will shoot out like a cannon!

I don't have a scanmaster (I have direct scan for tuning) and my problem is trying to do too many things at once for an ameture racer. I can get the launch good but my reaction time suffers. Or I can get my reaction time good but I just launched at 1psi boost.

The 4 wheel line lock sounds like what I'm looking for. How does it work and where do I get one? Where does the trigger get mounted?

Cons...yes it is illegal at most tracks. Most tracks you can not use this setup. It is in the rules. Secondly, it is expensive...a tbrake is $130 and two line locks plus installation will be more than that.

You will have to get 2 linelocks and have one for the front and one for the rear. The problem with this is you will have two switches or you will have to wire them into one which gets rid of allowing you to do a burnout..Seems way to complicated for me.

Jason

Cons...yes it is illegal at most tracks. Most tracks you can not use this setup. It is in the rules. Secondly, it is expensive...a tbrake is $130 and two line locks plus installation will be more than that.

You will have to get 2 linelocks and have one for the front and one for the rear. The problem with this is you will have two switches or you will have to wire them into one which gets rid of allowing you to do a burnout..Seems way to complicated for me.

Jason

Yes it is in the rules but most tracks don't enforce in bracket class's, at least the ones I've been to both IHRA and NHRA. He will have to check with the tracks he races at.

I assumed he was only racing occassionally and would just use the brakes manually to do his burnout. Then you only need one line lock.

whats the difference between two line locks and just stepping on the brake pedal?
L/L holds the rear breaks better like using the ebrake does.

The 4 wheel line lock sounds like what I'm looking for. How does it work and where do I get one? Where does the trigger get mounted?

If you go that route the instruction show how to do it for both front and rear. I know Hurst does or did the last time I put one on.

My first choice is a T/B but some just don't want to go that route for whatever reason. L/L is just an option that works for them.

Edit: I guess I did say L/L on all four wheels and he would have to install 2 if he didn't want to have to let go of the brake bedal and button as well. Not completed to do but still more then a T/B.

how can 2 line locks hold the car better than footbraking it. all a line lock does is hold the pressure in the brake line. There is no comparison between a linelock and a transbrake. any turboregal with decent power can outpower the rear brakes.

how can 2 line locks hold the car better than footbraking it. all a line lock does is hold the pressure in the brake line. There is no comparison between a linelock and a transbrake. any turboregal with decent power can outpower the rear brakes.

I'm also wondering how this is possible???

Who said there was any comparison? All I said is that I know people who use them to hold the car better at the line over foot braking.

I'm not going to argue with you, I know a few guys that have been bracket racing for a long time and it works for them.There must be a reason that Hurst has it in their instructions.
And any car with decent power could over power a L/L or ebrake for that matter.

The main reason why I brought the L/L is because he was having problems with consistency, let going of a button on a rev limiter is a lot easier then watching the tach, lights and using your leg to let go of the brake.

Just pull up the E brake all the way ( hard)and stand on the foot brake hard! Thats all you have to do. You can practice this technique almost anywhere.

The line lock thing has got me confused. Line lock only holds as much pressure as you can foot brake. The only thing I can think of is them letting off the brake to relax and then hit a button?? Retarded if you ask me!

You DONT use a LL to hold a car!!

Your LL will ONLY hold as much pressure as your foot brake will apply. Line Lock's dont add pressure to your brakes.

I have a LL on my car for BURNOUTS

Research this on different threads about the confusion many many people have with thinking LL is there to 'hold the car at the line' IT DOESNT WORK!

If you dont want to worry about launching with your feet, then get a trans brake so you dont worry about your feet moving around a lot.

Also when doing the Ebrake, you'll have to roll up to the stage lights (put your hand on the ebrake release lever), they'll light up, then prestage lights will light up, (You'll be at idle at this time!) mash the Ebrake as fast as you can, then mash the foot brake and then build boost ASAP, which by that time the tree may be falling.

I did this my first year at Noble, and it was somewhat tricky and I had to be fast, I did manage .4 RT's on a pro-tree, but it was hard to do. I even accidentally left the Ebrake on 1/2 way down the track because i was concentrating on the lights too much. Also i forgot to put my hand on the e brake lever.

I was doing this at my first time racing my car, so I was concentrating on many different things.

Just because 'my friends use it and have success' doesnt mean everyone will, that is even if it does work! If you listen to people and what their friends do then you'll start getting 'my friends have success running 35 lbs with 87 octane, so you can do it too!' :rolleyes:

Repeat, DONT USE A LINE LOCK TO HOLD THE CAR AT THE LINE!

Thats what the Trans-Brake is for!!!

Let me get off my soap box now :p

-Adam

Repeat, DONT USE A LINE LOCK TO HOLD THE CAR AT THE LINE!

I'll make sure I tell my friend who won the N/E championship that the internet racers say it's only for burnouts.:rolleyes:

I did manage .4 RT's on a pro-tree, but it was hard to do. I even accidentally left the Ebrake on 1/2 way down the track because i was concentrating on the lights too much. Also i forgot to put my hand on the e brake lever.

Maybe you should try a new method, .4 is a major sleep at the lights. I take it you don't bracket race too much. I do and have seen more then a couple cars using their L/L and a rpm limiter at the lights.

I'm done with this now.

I'll make sure I tell my friend who won the N/E championship that the internet racers say it's only for burnouts.:rolleyes:

Maybe you should try a new method, .4 is a major sleep at the lights. I take it you don't bracket race too much. I do and have seen more then a couple cars using their L/L and a rpm limiter at the lights.

I'm done with this now.

Tell your 'friend' who won whatever 'championship' he 'won' and also that that the 'internet racers' use it only for burnouts, since we have no idea what we're talking about when it comes to racing a car.

I'm not here to argue with a brick wall, its more to state the facts of what a line lock's main function is. The only time I could see a LL being used at the line is if you have a manual transmission.

Did you NOT read my post 100%? I said this was my 'first time racing' I was on a pro-tree also. Also, i do not bracket race much, because im not interested in bracket racing. My car is street driven with its occasional trip to the track, which is only once every 2 months or so.

Tell your championship winning friend Adam Kary says a LL is used for burnouts, so you dont heat your rear brakes up and not for holding a car back with all 4 brakes engaged at the line. :tongue:

-Adam

Please listen to TT/Ameasap he is not steering you wrong. I have put down many 1.5's-1.6' 60 fts before doing just as he told you.

Michael

Just put the line lock on the passenger rear tire so it applies more force to the drivers rear tire and makes up for a bad posi unit.

Hows that :D