Let's talk VSC for a Turbo 400

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
I'm looking to increase stall at the line by 600 to 1,000 rpm on a 300 shot (150 with methanol) of nitrous.

Is there anyone out there with some experience using a VSC system? I'm just wondering if it would be worth the effort to explore.

I am curious as well but have no experience with it. If you are looking into the type that cuts the fluid to the converter, the feedback that I hear is that the converter never completly fills and slips a lot on the top end. It would be nice to see some real world test comparisons.
Allan G.

I've seen the end result!

I'm looking to increase stall at the line by 600 to 1,000 rpm on a 300 shot (150 with methanol) of nitrous.

Is there anyone out there with some experience using a VSC system? I'm just wondering if it would be worth the effort to explore.

I've seen when your "on" it too long. Burns the paint of the converter and turns it purple. That was an extreme case with a 106mm that was never going to spool behind a pretty lame 4.6 ford. It works for the most part, but it does limit the converter charge. Your best bet is to have the current stator in your converter trimmed ( not thinned down, but some of the foil trimmed away in the stator blades). You should pick up around 500-600 without losing the efficiency.

Mike.

I've seen when your "on" it too long. Burns the paint of the converter and turns it purple. That was an extreme case with a 106mm that was never going to spool behind a pretty lame 4.6 ford. It works for the most part, but it does limit the converter charge. Your best bet is to have the current stator in your converter trimmed ( not thinned down, but some of the foil trimmed away in the stator blades). You should pick up around 500-600 without losing the efficiency.

Mike.
Mike, could you elaborate on what you mean by, 'it does limit the converter charge'? I'm aware that the charge is diverted to cause the stall increase. Is there something else you mean?

My N/C has a steel stator that has blades that are curved and flat. There is no 'foil' to trim.

Was the cooked converter the only failure you've seen due to the VSC? I can completely understand that failure if someone were to stay on it too long.

I ran both VSC's on my car. We developed the extreme automatics one on my car they don't even compare. Lonnie is using a completely different technique than the FB performance in which he and Steve Griner designed a valve body for and it works VERY well. We are using the NOS tables in the Accel Gen 7 to turn it on and off. Funny you brought this up I was going to suggest something like this in your other post instead of screwing with that laughing gas.

I ran both VSC's on my car. We developed the extreme automatics one on my car they don't even compare. Lonnie is using a completely different technique than the FB performance in which he and Steve Griner designed a valve body for and it works VERY well. We are using the NOS tables in the Accel Gen 7 to turn it on and off. Funny you brought this up I was going to suggest something like this in your other post instead of screwing with that laughing gas.
I'm afraid it's going to take both with my situation.

Or should I really say, I WANT TO USE BOTH!!!:eek:
After all the time I've got into the nitrous system, and now having it so close to totts, I'd be a fool to toss it.

Lonnies's setting me up. Should be interesting. I'll report blow by blow results.