Lean at Idle??? log included

Yes you do. Stick a Phillips head screwdriver in a spark plug boot and lay it close to the valve cover. If you have spark, you'll know it.

Yes you do. Stick a Phillips head screwdriver in a spark plug boot and lay it close to the valve cover. If you have spark, you'll know it.

Easier yet....have the gf grab the screw driver. If her hair stands on end, it's firing....:D
If the engine is backfiring and attempting to start, I'd suggest it has fire.

Easier yet....have the gf grab the screw driver. If her hair stands on end, it's firing....:D
If the engine is backfiring and attempting to start, I'd suggest it has fire.
When I get off today I'll update my progress ..... it might be my plenum leaking when I put 5 psi in the intake I can put my hand behind the turbo and feel air leaking from my power plate. does this seem like enough of a leak to cause a no start ..... if I gotta take the plenum off I might as well put this buick sportsman on if you guys don't think it will compound my problems.
Thanks for everyone input !!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It’s very unlikely the plenum leak is causing the no start.

Another way to check for spark. Remove both plug wires of of 1 coil. Bend up a paper clip to go on 1 of the terminals. Bend the other end close to the opposing terminal. Leave a small gap for the spark to jump. Crank it over.

I’m betting you don’t have spark. If this is the case go right for the crank sensor. Make sure the balancer didn’t come loose and walk out of the sensor. Also look for sighs the sensor has been hit by a blade. Might have a bent blade.

It’s very unlikely the plenum leak is causing the no start.

Another way to check for spark. Remove both plug wires of of 1 coil. Bend up a paper clip to go on 1 of the terminals. Bend the other end close to the opposing terminal. Leave a small gap for the spark to jump. Crank it over.

I’m betting you don’t have spark. If this is the case go right for the crank sensor. Make sure the balancer didn’t come loose and walk out of the sensor. Also look for sighs the sensor has been hit by a blade. Might have a bent blade.
Today got a chance to check the spark with a tester[emoji6]. I do have a spark ...... but after cranking for about two secs I can smell gas ...... any ideas???

If the gas smell is at the tailpipe that's normal for a car that's not running. The injector pulses have to go somewhere if they don't burn. (at least you know you probably have fuel :) )

Something has to be out of sync. Are you SURE the wheel in the cam sensor is tight and still keyed to the shaft?
What cam sensor cap? Stock or caspers led?

Something has to be out of sync. Are you SURE the wheel in the cam sensor is tight and still keyed to the shaft?
What cam sensor cap? Stock or caspers led?
Now that is something that I don't know about is the cam sensor. Im sure the cap is stock thou. How would I know if it's keyed to the shaft?

take the cap off and see if you can move the wheel. If it moves back and forth, you've found the culprit (or at least one of them)

take the cap off and see if you can move the wheel. If it moves back and forth, you've found the culprit (or at least one of them)
Ok, got a chance to look at my car today. Crank sensor looks to be fine. I took the cap off my cam sensor it doesn't really move but there is the slightes little play Back-and-forth.

check fuel pressure ,maf sensor
Check PCV valve temporary block it for leak check
check for leak or stuck open EGR valve
Major vacuum leak can cause this
NO code 44?

Last edited:
I know I have a vacuum leak thru my power plate @ 5psi via boost leak tester ,but told it wouldn't cause a no start issue. Is it ok for my cam sensor to wiggle the littlest bit? Or should I look else where. I'm so frustrated!!!!!![emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

A little wiggle is not going to hurt.

Pull the plugs out of the ecm and check for corrosion. We are running out of options.

It can wiggle a little bit. There's some play between the gear and the cam gear.
Damn, I'm lost...... everything is new...... New rebuild, new exhaust, new harness, I don't know the car just won't run right, and no one in the Denver area knows about these cars guess in screwed[emoji22]