Leaky turbo drain tube. What gives,

josh young

I'm having an issue with a leaking drain tube around the flange area. Car Seeped a little when I got it. It had a thinner gasket on it then. Since then I replaced it 2 times with the thicker kirban gaskets. Once last night. I'm waiting on a fuel pressure regulator to get here so I just let it idle a bit last night. The Damn thing started weeping again around the front part of the gasket. It weeps in the same spot every time. The back and along both sides are dry. I would have thought bent flange but it's coming from the turbo side where it meets the gasket, the bottom part of gasket where it meets flange is dry. I cleaned the pics out of both sides where the gasket lays to ensure a clean surface. Evenly tightened the bolts up, gasket is straight and not pushed out. What gives with this? I've heard of some guys using a light coat of Perma tex on each side, I put it on dry. Anybody had this issue besides me? Thanks guys.

I was wondering about the flange. It's dry where the flange and gasket meet. Could it still be the flange? What sealer are you referring to? Thanks Mr. Spool. Here is a pic I tried to take, can't tell much from it though.

Attachments

• 20160330_203804.jpg
    20160330_203804.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 81
I don't use a gasket a small bead of the right stuff bolt it up and I'm done. I always install the drain first tighten it up and then bolt the turbo to the manifold.

Mine leakss too. I like the right stuff but I don't know if it's for high temp applications. I used some copper RTV to seal the down pipe to turbo and it worked very well.

The flange on that tube is EASY to get bent. First, get some pliers and bend it down a little so it's convex then turn our attention to the gasket.

Smear a thin film of silicone on the flange,the turbo mating surface and both sides of the gasket. Then let it ''skin over'' after a couple of minutes.

Put the bolts in place and stop just shy of tightening them up. What you want is for the surfaces to meet each other without being torqued. That way they can be in place, get to know each other, realize they're going to be married soon, come to grips with it, and realize that's the way it is and the aren't allowed to leak oil.

....after you hear a few ''how's your momma and them / nice boots / damn them 'skeeters sure are bad......, lock the bolts down.

The next morning hit them again to make sure they're still tight and do a heat cycle.

After that, it won't leak.

Last edited:
Mine leakss too. I like the right stuff but I don't know if it's for high temp applications. I used some copper RTV to seal the down pipe to turbo and it worked very well.
It's always worked great for me I must have tried to seal it a half a dozen times until I went with this method like the Frank's Red Hot adds "I use that shit on everything"

Last edited: