Leaking oil

tfoster209

I just installed a new turbo and the car started smoking huge clouds of blueish white smoke after a few minutes of idling. After checking for possible oil leaks I found what appears to be oil coming out of the oil into the downpipe. I did not find oil any where else : spark plugs, up pipe, throttle body or inter cooler. Oil return line appeared to be kind of bound up so I straightened it out and still have the same problem. I ran the car a few seconds without the oil feed line. Car did not smoke. But all the oil shot out in a matter of seconds. Oil pressure is around 80 on startup and goes down to around 60 when it warms up. Could the oil pressure be to high? Should I run a rescrictor on the oil feed line? Can there be an issue with the oil return line? Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0538.JPG phone 258.JPG phone 260.JPG phone 261.JPG phone 263.JPG phone 264.JPG phone 265.JPG

how is the return line?
is it a stocker or something different?

Nevermind I see the picture.....

There is no oil seal on the hot side. Make sure there is no restriction in the oil drain back line. If there is oil will back up and get past the exhaust seal on the hot side and smoke.

That's a lot of oil. I would inspect the oil return first. Verify it will take a quart of oil from a funnel. The sealing rings are not positive seals and will not seal oil if the return is obstructed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just installed a new turbo and the car started smoking huge clouds of blueish white smoke after a few minutes of idling. After checking for possible oil leaks I found what appears to be oil coming out of the oil into the downpipe. I did not find oil any where else : spark plugs, up pipe, throttle body or inter cooler. Oil return line appeared to be kind of bound up so I straightened it out and still have the same problem. I ran the car a few seconds without the oil feed line. Car did not smoke. But all the oil shot out in a matter of seconds. Oil pressure is around 80 on startup and goes down to around 60 when it warms up. Could the oil pressure be to high? Should I run a rescrictor on the oil feed line? Can there be an issue with the oil return line? Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 249340 View attachment 249341 View attachment 249342 View attachment 249343 View attachment 249344 View attachment 249345 View attachment 249346

Why the 60psi at idle?? Waay higher than needed.

I can'the find my post but I had a similar issue with a dual ball bearing Garrett unit, I had a lot of oil smoke at idle. I added a .030 restrictor in the line, the smoke stopped. Since the kit also had a .045 restrictor I tried that too and no more smoke so I left it in. I also noticed the turbo spooled a lot faster with the fix. Just my .02 good luck. Before doing this I was given new units and the issue persisted.

Jim.

I had some time to look at what I used to solve this issue, my turbo had an internal restrictor but I added the following in addition to the internal restrictor. These jets go into the oil feed fitting between the line and turbo.

Vibrant Part 10287,
  • Two threaded stainless jets
  • .060 With no jets for journal bearing turbos
  • .045 Jet for single ball bearing turbos
  • .030 Jet for dual ball bearing turbos
  • vibrant 2.jpg

Last edited:
I had some time to look at what I used to solve this issue, my turbo had an internal restrictor but I added the following in addition to the internal restrictor. These jets go into the oil feed fitting between the line and turbo.

Vibrant Part 10287,
  • Two threaded stainless jets
  • .060 With no jets for journal bearing turbos
  • .045 Jet for single ball bearing turbos
  • .030 Jet for dual ball bearing turbos
  • View attachment 250344
Nifty!