Las Vegas [West coast nationals]

gn-geoff

BUICKS on the brain
I was wondering if there is any news on this event for this year.

Thanks Geoff

Hopefully they will move it back to the morning. I think last years poor attendance might have been a clue.

I heard that the track is not being cooperative with the organizers.

Is this thing going to happen? Everybody in SOCAL I talk to says its not.If it is going to happen we need to get the word out or there will be more no shows this year than last year.
:confused:

Reginald West said:
Is this thing going to happen? Everybody in SOCAL I talk to says its not.If it is going to happen we need to get the word out or there will be more no shows this year than last year.
:confused:

They put it on a Sunday?! I think that will cause alot of 'no shows' :rolleyes:

Jon and I talked about this last weekend. He says the track has quite a few events this year and that's why we got put on a Sunday.
If the event is going to continue, it's likely going to move.
I mentioned to Jon about Nick's suggestion to move it to northern Phoenix and he seemed in favor of it. Since year after year, everyone complains about the Vegas track, we might as well move to somewhere else.

After the complaints from last year, I had pretty much decided to stay out of it going forward. I sort of got a similar impression from Jon the other day. Don't get me wrong, there are numerous people that make it fun to get together -- Jason Cramer, Dick Kereny, Len Freeman just to name a few. And not the people that "forget" raffle prizes and then go out of their way to b!tch...
So what I'm saying is (as far as I'm concerned) maybe it's time to either (1) pass the torch to another group or (2) take a year hiatus and re-group. As poor as the turnout was last year, I'm surprised that so many are asking about Vegas this year. Jon may have a totally different opinion, but I don't know if he frequents this board anymore. I haven't talked to Craig at all about it.
(3) maybe just get together on that Sunday for open racing and forget about prizes, etc.

My thoughts on how to make this Event a sucess.

After the complaints from last year, I had pretty much decided to stay out of it going forward. I sort of got a similar impression from Jon the other day. Don't get me wrong, there are numerous people that make it fun to get together -- Jason Cramer, Dick Kereny, Len Freeman just to name a few. And not the people that "forget" raffle prizes and then go out of their way to b!tch...
So what I'm saying is (as far as I'm concerned) maybe it's time to either (1) pass the torch to another group or (2) take a year hiatus and re-group. As poor as the turnout was last year, I'm surprised that so many are asking about Vegas this year. Jon may have a totally different opinion, but I don't know if he frequents this board anymore. I haven't talked to Craig at all about it.
(3) maybe just get together on that Sunday for open racing and forget about prizes, etc.

Jack:#1- I vote pass the torch to some one else and quit knocking people which helped your event out or quit your crying and 1, set up the date with the track, 2, print flyers, 3, get sponsors and RAFFLE items, 4, keep in touch with the track, 5, and most of all greet the racer at the track when the track gate open on race day,have a location in the pits for all the Buicks to park (Keep them all together) make sure you have a track schedule with Qualifying times, Eliminations and which Staging Lanes the Buicks get and print enough to pass out to all the racers. The very main thing is keep in contact with the track, 6, Mail them a few flyers showing you are promoting the event and the date you secured with them. 7, Get sponsors to kick in some cash for the difference classes. You will have a succesful event. GOOD LUCK!

Steve Hurst-President-BGNRA

hurstbuick said:

Jack:#1- I vote pass the torch to some one else and quit knocking people which helped your event out or quit your crying and 1, set up the date with the track, 2, print flyers, 3, get sponsors and RAFFLE items, 4, keep in touch with the track, 5, and most of all greet the racer at the track when the track gate open on race day,have a location in the pits for all the Buicks to park (Keep them all together) make sure you have a track schedule with Qualifying times, Eliminations and which Staging Lanes the Buicks get and print enough to pass out to all the racers. The very main thing is keep in contact with the track, 6, Mail them a few flyers showing you are promoting the event and the date you secured with them. 7, Get sponsors to kick in some cash for the difference classes. You will have a succesful event. GOOD LUCK!

Steve Hurst-President-BGNRA

Uhhh, WTF was that? :eek:

So, how 'bout everybody just show up at Vegas OR Phoenix- pre-determined of course, race, have fun , and brag about it later? Nevermind, WhoTF am I? :rolleyes:

-scott wile

Thats part of the problem as I see it, the local track. Unless you go rent the whole damn thing for some ungodly fee, they are going to run THIER event as they see fit. Usually that means they will have several things going on at once and the least of their concerns are going to be a group of maybe 2 dozen "club" members with their cars all huddled up in one corner of the pits. They have their strict time schedule that they "must" adhere to and don't really give a damn about a group that came in just for fun. As in this coming weekend, they are combining a monster truck show , jet cars and a bunch of other crap, all on a points night. So the racers get to lounge around from 630 or so( after their 2 TT runs and MAYBE first round of elims), then around 1030 or so when the "BIG" stuff if done and the paying crowds leave, let the lil' ol racers return to the track, after who knows what was/ is left behind from the truck show thing. Little off topic here, but hopefully you guys see my point, I know any local racer here does!

You hit the nail on the head.

Silver 'T' Top said:
Thats part of the problem as I see it, the local track. Unless you go rent the whole damn thing for some ungodly fee, they are going to run THIER event as they see fit. Usually that means they will have several things going on at once and the least of their concerns are going to be a group of maybe 2 dozen "club" members with their cars all huddled up in one corner of the pits. They have their strict time schedule that they "must" adhere to and don't really give a damn about a group that came in just for fun. As in this coming weekend, they are combining a monster truck show , jet cars and a bunch of other crap, all on a points night. So the racers get to lounge around from 630 or so( after their 2 TT runs and MAYBE first round of elims), then around 1030 or so when the "BIG" stuff if done and the paying crowds leave, let the lil' ol racers return to the track, after who knows what was/ is left behind from the truck show thing. Little off topic here, but hopefully you guys see my point, I know any local racer here does!

Reginald West said:
Nick whats your take on this? All I want to do is race and I care where its at.
REG

I just talked with the track manager at Speedworld here just outside Phoenix, where most of us local racers attend. [This is where some of the Pinks TV shows are filmed.]

We discussed the posibility of holding a Buick event there probably Nov. 3,4 and 5. On Friday night their usual race program starts about 7 PM, there is a Saturday day event and also Sunday drags.

At this point, a track rental is out of the question, however we can join the Friday night trophy challenge or time runs, do time runs and qualifying on Saturday, and Sunday qualifying and eliminations?

This is a NHRA track and we have always had a good relationship with them on club days, and other special events. On Saturday and Sunday we would have our own staging lanes as there is no shortage with 9 of them.

For those with motor homes, it may be possible to stay overnight? Since the gates will be open Friday night, pit parking for the weekend will be allowed for trailers too.

If this is of interest to enough people/racers, I will gladly pursue getting it put in place. For more info on the schedule and location of Speedworld, go here:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/schedule.htm

I'm in favor of that. I will say that some do not like racing on Sundays, so we'd probably need to shoot for trophies on Saturday. Most like to use Sunday as the travel home (or recover from hangover) day.
I've been to that track once with Paul and it's got more of a down-home-racer feel than the corporate image that Vegas seems to follow. I think that's exactly what we need.
Do you know of any fairly priced hotels in that area where the Buicks can be "safe?" I'd venture a guess to say that most would like to keep it $120/night or less, if possible.

i like the sound of the AZ event.. stick to the Sat racing, just like it was stated before some of us need to travel 6 hours back home.. Also, can you track down some hotels that are safe just like GRANATL stated.. I'm also still think about heading to the Vegas event. Thats only 3 hours for me, so Sunday racing is cool.

The track is near Sun City, Sun City West and Sun City Grand, all retirement areas. So good food and hotels reasonable priced, all "safe" areas, just no gambling and night life like Vegas! :biggrin:

There is easy access to I-10 from Cali and it is just off the highway to Vegas. Being on the West side of town means NO traffic jams :rolleyes:

That weekend begins the "winter" schedule so the racing is all 3 weekend days and sometimes Saturday night as well. The schedule can be decided by our discussion, I was just stating the track potential.

Like others, I do NOT want to tow for 6 hours, wait in line for 1-1/2 hours, pay double the normal event price, be placed in a corner, and then spend 6 hours making only 2 runs. :mad: