Larger than stock turbine wheel in stock turbo.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if this type of mod would work OK.

Let's say you like how the stock turbo spools up fast but you know the exhaust is pretty choked up because of the small A/R on the turbine housing.

Now, instead of going w/a larger A/R turbine housing, you would install a larger turbine wheel into a stock turbine housing, (machining the turbine housing to fit the larger turbine wheel of course)

Would this work OK, would it allow the exhaust to breath a bit better & still spool the turbo up quickly, even though the turbine wheel would be heavier?

I have done this on my Syclone & it seemed to work OK, I was just wondering if you guys have done this on your GN's & T-Types?
If so, what were your results? Any links to your mods?

Thank you.

I've done this many times. There is a balance between a/r of a particular housing design and the turbine design. For example the stock Garrett .63 is fine up to about 60lbs/min with a 76p turbine. That's enough to run 10.60-10.70. Beyond that it will start choking as the rpm rises. With a stage 3 wheel or stock turbine there is little advantage in running a larger a/r especially with a stock or t04e 60 compressor. It will spool slower and the compressor will run out before the a/r is a problem. Running any turbine that will support more mass flow will require an increased stall speed or it will be lazy. There is also a balance between compressor and turbine. The stock turbo has a good balance.

Thanks Bison,

just for some examples of the larger turbine wheels you have used/done.

What size turbine wheels have you done along w/what size compressor wheels.

I am mainly speaking of stock type turbos , example, largest turbine wheel used in a stock turbo w/good results, also, other aftermarket ones would be good also for reference.

On my Syclone, they use Mitsubishi turbos so the A/R are in CM's example 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 CM & bigger

I had used a larger TD06"H" turbine wheel in a slightly larger 10 CM turbine housing, it worked pretty good. I had also machined a 12 CM housing to fit the "H" turbine wheel & it seems to be the best so far while using a stock torque converter 2100 stall.

I've done a lot of old school wheel upgrades mostly Garrett based. Lately I've been using forged milled wheels with various turbines. Speaking of garrett wheels the old 60-1 and forged milled replacements coupled with the old 76p trim will cover 90% of everything between 450 and 600hp. The forged milled wheel will do upwards of 700hp on a purpose built. I can get forged milled wheels for Mitsubishi turbos also. Lots of mass flow potential with small lightweight wheels and fast spoolup

Cool,

What wheels are available for Mitsubishi turbo for Syclones? I currently use a 60-1 looking for a bit bigger 62-63 MM range.

Also, what wheels are available for Mitsubishi Evos 2012?

Prices for the wheels?

Any turbine wheel upgrades also?

Thank you.

......I was wondering if this type of mod would work OK............Now, instead of going w/a larger A/R turbine housing, you would install a larger turbine wheel into a stock turbine housing, (machining the turbine housing to fit the larger turbine wheel of course)...., I was just wondering if you guys have done this on your GN's & T-Types?

If so, what were your results? Thank you.

Yes, this was done about 20 years ago when the only 3 bolt turbine housing was a Garrett, and the TA-49/TE-44 turbos were the first upgrade over stock wheels, and the larger TE-45 and TE-45A wheels were also fit into the Garrett housings.

For our performance 12 to 10 sec. street builds, these turbos were used extensively with great results, and we continue to use them today. :)

They are very reliable, not expensive and give great response on the street, and awesome low end pulling power off the line.

I find that today we can still easily satisfy our customers performance, durability and budget requirements with these "old school" turbos without billet wheels and ball bearing/water cooled center sections. ;)