Lacquer/Paint Thinner as an Octane Booster?

realspartan

Hi Guys,

Can lacquer thinner be used as an octane booster? Is it safe? My local hardware store has lacquer thinner that contains Toluene, Methyl Alcohol and Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Is this what some guys use to boost octane or is straight Toluene used? Where can straight Toluene be found? For example, what mixture is needed to increase octane from 92 to 96?

Regards,
Realspartan

the cost doesn't outweigh the bennefit. For the price of toulene, might as well just buy race gas or install alky. If you can't afford the hit from the alky vendors on here than google diy alky injection kit.

It's not really toluene that's the best but rather xylene, also sold in paint supplies stores...

Claude. :cool:

Just get a nozzle, used fuel pump out of a junkyard and a hobbs switch.. Oh an some nylon line.. Can't get any better than that :cool:

nah .. I'd go with the $500 one that has been "tested" in a lot of cars on this site. Way to easy to just get a whole kit down to the zip ties and tech support when ya need it :cool:

Zip ties? :eek:

Sounds high tech. I'd need someone on speed dial to help me with that stuff it sounds sooooo confusing. :p

Zip ties? :eek:

Sounds high tech. I'd need someone on speed dial to help me with that stuff it sounds sooooo confusing. :p

Yup ZIP ties.. Julios kit comes with all the small stuff. Lots of guys need help because they don't want to read the directions. Julio will walk them threw it. Now go back to playing and watching pics of alky spraying on the laptop. :biggrin: