common name for Toluene?

ANDYS87

I was at the hardware store today looking for some Toluene. Just wondering what its common name is? I looked at all the cans and Lacquer thinner had it listed as a primary ingredient(also listed methyl alcohol too). So, does Lacquer Thinner = toluene? Want to add some to my gas. Is this a good injector cleaner?

Lacquer thinner is mostly acetone not toluene. Acetone will actually lower the octane level and his hard on rubber parts like fuel lines and o-rings. Other names for toluene are toluol and methylbenzene.

This is from bad memory so don't take it as gospel..... but it seems to me that it was cheaper (and safer) to just add 3 gallons of VP16 to get the same octane as adding one gallon of toluene to 1/2 tank of 92.

That bad memory was from many years ago so maybe with the increase in race fuel prices it no longer applies.

honestly that crap is just plain bad for you... just go to your local airport and fill up on low lead 101... seriously, the airport near my house had low lead 101 for 6$ a gallon last time one of my buddies checked checked. Thats not bad and only 108$ to fill up a bone dry tank.

Products > Power Products
If you want to stay unleaded, try the unleaded accelator. One can with 5 gallons of 93 is 107 octane. One can with 10 gallons of 93 is 104 octane. I just bought some at the end of the season. I am not sure how much boost I can run without knock yet.

I am ...

with these guys, stay w/the fuels or get alchy injection(the best course of action) Your limited as to how much you can safely add to your fuel. If you are just out to clean the injectors, use the chevron w/techron ingredient or the regular f/i cleaner that you apply directly to the fuelrail. Just be causcious not to accidently wash down the cyinders.:eek:

......... just go to your local airport and fill up on low lead 101... seriously, the airport near my house had low lead 101 for 6$ a gallon last time one of my buddies checked checked. Thats not bad and only 108$ to fill up a bone dry tank.

I did go to "the" aiport (Sugarland) and they would not sell me any.
Maybe it is the result of regulatory requirements from the "homeland security". :confused:
Sorry to hijack, but just wanted to share my experience.

I'm pretty sure toulene or zylene can be purchased at Sherwin Williams paint stores in 5 gallon cans. Sherwin Williams product code for Toluene is R2K1 and Xylene is R2K4. I believe Home Depot also sells toulene by the gallon. They may have it listed as "Toluol" for Toulene and "Xyol" for Xylene.

Yep Toluene is the name and only that the others are a cocktail of misc. Xylene is also only by its name.

Toluene...your best bet is Sherwin Williams or a bigger paint store

Xylene you can get at Home Depot, Lowes or Sherwin Williams.

I have used the Toluene in the past and did little under half a tank w/3 plus gallons of TOL (pre alky) and think it slowly kills the pump even with some trans fluid added to the tank.
It is like 25 plus bucks for 5 gallons probably closer to 30 now.

I ran Xylene in my DIY alky for about a year. I purchased from Home Depot for $10 a gallon. I was able to run 24 psi.

I purchased a 5 gallon race jug and now fill up at the race track with Meth for $3.00 a gallon.

i bought some toluol at menards same thing as toulene.1 gallon can to 10 gallons of gas makes 100 octane.it cost $6.00 a can.