Knock while turbo is spooling

litdog83z

I posted a big thread about this a while back, but now ive found out some more stuff.

When i ease into the boost, I have no problems... however if i get on it pretty good, as the turbo spools, I get some audible knock (pebbles in cylinders sound) and sometimes the scanmaster will register it (6+ degrees of knock retard)

Today I pulled the plugs (R43TS) and put in my old plugs (R44TS) and when I pulled them, they were pink... not white... not black... pink... :confused:

so anyway, the plug in cylinder 6 was wet with gas... Injectors are brand new 50#, but that doesnt rule out one being bad. They all tick like they should, but it could still be messed up. The plug looked just like the others, only it was wet with fuel... I got the same problem after swapping plugs back to the R44TS... Next I swapped on my spare coil pack... car actually idles worse and still has the same knock problem, so I will be putting the other coil pack back on.

I am waiting for the engine to cool down now, and then I will check the plug again and make sure it is still wet with fuel, then maybe try swapping the plug wire... Then I guess I will be moving the injector and seeing if the problem follows, and if it does, I will try my stock chip and injectors again to see if the problem goes away. I can not remember when this problem started, as I did a lot of mods at the same time a year ago..

And I am waiting for the EMI shielding so maybe I can catch this on direct scan once that is on if nothing else fixes it until then...

Mods:
87 GN, stock engine and drivetrain
Dutt neck IC, solid MAF pipe (stock MAF) and K&N filter
50# injectors, TurboTweak Chip burnt for 91 octane
Walbro 340 pump/hotwire/ adjustable reg at 42 psi static (per TurboTweak Chip instructions - changes in fuel pressure up and down have little effect on my problem)
11-12 psi boost until I figure this problem out

Anyone have any new input?

ok now there's no gas on the plug like there was before :confused:

There is a little oil on the threads though... I'm assuming the gas on it may have come from the injectors leaking down...

Just so what are ur blms look like at ideal? and what are or o2s reading under boost? Have u tried lowering ur fuel pressure? My tta was poping pretty bad under load. and it was only in first gear

so what is the problem? I have the same issue... can get in it slowly but if I drop the hammer 10KR... I dont hear anything though :confused:

a cam sensor set wrong will cause so strange things when under boost. also check and make sure there is no loose motion in the cam sensor bearings.

Litdog83z & Ledzeppac

I also have big knock retard, sometimes when I jump into it, I'm thinking that I need a poly motor mounts. That the engine is twisting to much, and allowing the exhaust to hit the frame. Just a thought.....
Chuck

84BuickGNYorkPA said:
I also have big knock retard, sometimes when I jump into it, I'm thinking that I need a poly motor mounts. That the engine is twisting to much, and allowing the exhaust to hit the frame. Just a thought.....
Chuck

poly motor mounts are just as good at keeping the engine down as regular ones... they are stronger yes. But comparing two good ones the engine shouldnt move.

I dont think that is my issue

Guys with out poly motor mounts and a few mods to there engine, sometimes have the tie down strap that goes from the frame to the altanator. To keep the engine from twisting to much, it was more common years ago... Chuck