Kirban mini starter

It uses gears to create more torque. When we do this,we give up speed. The slower speed is the other result of gear reduction that no one talks about. Of course,the sales brochure doesn't mention this.
Good now i dont feel like i was crazy.

I got one a couple years ago max,it lasted until a couple weeks ago.It never seemed to spin the motor over as fast as one of the HUGE BIG ones that are stock.
Put an autozone one in and it spins normal again.Not sure if it was a kirban one,but was from one of our vendors.Let me know if the one you ordered spins as fast as stock type?
Just got the DB electrical starter on ... Cranks the motor over just as good as the old one and built pretty solid, pretty easy swap overall.

Just got the DB electrical starter on ... Cranks the motor over just as good as the old one and built pretty solid, pretty easy swap overall.
Did you ask them what the gears are made of? The Kirban starter has steel gears.

The Kirban starter has steel gears. I don't think the one you ordered does. You need to find out. The plastic gears will be the thing that leaves you stranded.
No plastic gears, all metal. Initially very happy with the starter! The old one looked like it could take a bullet though man. That thing was a tank!

Did they tell you that the gears are steel?
No man, the gear that is exposed/engages with the flywheel was definitely metal. I obviously didn't take the thing apart to examine it though so if there are plastic gears in there somewhere I don't know. Maybe some of the guys who have been using them for a few years on here have better info. I did some research into customer complaints for DB Electrical products and there are some out there but most of the reviews I read were good. If the thing craps out it has a one year warranty and its an easy swap. If it craps out after the warranty is up It cost me about the same as a Romantic dinner at Red Lobster with my wife and I know not to buy from them again.;)

This ^^^^^

This ^^^^^

Got mine from GM but anyway ^^^^^

The '96 Vettte (LT1) starter is much smaller than the DB one. The starter MUST be from a Vette. The Vette got a compact gear reduction starter. Oh yea, it weighs around 8-10lbs.

41GdZbDLUBL._SY300_.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Love mine, but I think mine is an LT4 starter which I believe to be the same!!!!!!

No man, the gear that is exposed/engages with the flywheel was definitely metal. I obviously didn't take the thing apart to examine it though so if there are plastic gears in there somewhere I don't know. Maybe some of the guys who have been using them for a few years on here have better info. I did some research into customer complaints for DB Electrical products and there are some out there but most of the reviews I read were good. If the thing craps out it has a one year warranty and its an easy swap. If it craps out after the warranty is up It cost me about the same as a Romantic dinner at Red Lobster with my wife and I know not to buy from them again.;)
I am talking about the gears inside that you can't see.

Yes it will, no issues there with the TA stock replacement headers.
This is the real deal gear reduction starter. I just purchased one from a local salvage yard for $42.00 0ut the door. The guy was impressed by what he felt and heard when he tested it.

Just noticed this thread.

How come no one mentioned the Tilton starter. I have had one for at least 10 years. I crank the motor for long periods of time and quite often to build oil pressure after a long sit. It never failed me. It's the smallest and lightest I've ever seen and it spins and sounds like a machine gun. No doubt, it's the best.

I'm not sure they are available any longer. I know I spent quite a few dollars on it. But for me it was worth it.

I didn't dissect it to check the gears, but my car is a daily driver and I'm always on the go. It cranks fast and sounds great. I'll chronicle any issues if they come up, but so far it's better than the one on my camaro.

I contacted DB Electrical via email and asked them what material the reduction gears are made of. This is their response.
We don't have that spec provided to us.
Again, the Kirban has steel gears and the corvette starter is as good as it gets.

I have no idea what internal materials they use in the making of their starters.

I decided one day i would like to have a ministarter because of the weight reduction. My Autozone stock replacement starter was working just fine and has a lifetime warranty on it,i still keep it as my backup starter new in the box. I had Autozone replace it for me under warranty. Because i don't want to install a used starter on my engine when or if the ministarter fails. 18 lbs for the stock starter and less than 8 lbs for the ministarter. My car is not a daily driver and the DB ministarter has been on the engine for about 4 years. All i care about is when i go out to the car and turn the key and it starts right up without any problem. For the money the DB ministarter is a great deal in my opinion. I'm not saying it's a better starter than any other brand, it's just the only one i have used and is much lower priced than others i have seen advertised and it comes with a 1 year warranty.

When it goes bad. I will disassemble it and see if the internals are made of plastic or metal and post on here what i find. But it may be a while before this happens.;)

It uses gears to create more torque. When we do this,we give up speed. The slower speed is the other result of gear reduction that no one talks about. Of course,the sales brochure doesn't mention this.
i also noticed this with the above starter

I'm using a Power Master with my T/A race headers, I tried others that are smaller that didn't work.
The Powermaster "clocks" continously so you can orient it in any direction, most others can only "clock" where the holes or slots are. The Power Master uses a clamping system instead of holes or slots. Leave the clamp loose, rotate it any way you want, clamp it down and you're done. The ones with different holes you have to remove the starter, remove the bolts, re index and reinstall, until you find the one position that works. That's too much trouble for me, and I have a lift!
The PM also comes with the QA test result card verifying amp draw for that unit!
That speaks of quality and attention to detail!
Oh yeah, the Buick also takes any Chevy V-8 starter, so that makes your selection process easy!
TIMINATOR

hello people: This thread reminds me that I bought a mini starter a while ago and I believe it's the one for a vette. Does anyone know the p/n of that vette starter.
IBBY