Kidney stones......What to expect?

Originally posted by OneQuikV6
Just a small correction. Hydrocodone (Vicodin) is not as strong as Oxycodone (Percocet). Vicodin is a sched 3 and Percocet is sched 2. Both work well but Percocet is stronger. They are both VERY habit forming, so be careful guys. Had a bad back injury last year (Herniated disc) and had a hard time getting off the Percocet.

Do push fluids (water) while trying to pass it and keep the water thing up. It's good for you for many reasons. BTW, cranberry juice is good because the acid it contains is good for preventing UTI.

Good luck. I do know from my ER experience that I've seen grown men who are tougher than sh*t curled up in a tiny ball crying like babies from a stone. Prevention is key :)

Mike Pompe, LPN, EMT

well mike i did a little research and found this

Oxycodone

Examples
Oxycodone hydrochloride (OxyContin, OxyFAST, OxyIR, Percolone, Roxicodone, Intensol)
Oxycodone and acetaminophen (Endocet, Oxycocet, Percocet, Percocet 2.5/325, 5/325, and 7.5/500, Percocet-Demi, Roxicet, Tylox)
Oxycodone and aspirin (Endodan, Percodan)

that's off of web .D. they catagorize it in the same catagory, if you go to their web site and punch-up percocet it takes you right to oxycodone. both pills work the same they both act upon specific receptors in the brain and spinal cord to decrease the feeling of pain and to reduce the emotional response to pain.
although vicodin is not listed in the same catagory they both produce similar results. According to this.

Originally posted by no-nos
well mike i did a little research and found this

Oxycodone

Examples
Oxycodone hydrochloride (OxyContin, OxyFAST, OxyIR, Percolone, Roxicodone, Intensol)
Oxycodone and acetaminophen (Endocet, Oxycocet, Percocet, Percocet 2.5/325, 5/325, and 7.5/500, Percocet-Demi, Roxicet, Tylox)
Oxycodone and aspirin (Endodan, Percodan)

that's off of web .D. they catagorize it in the same catagory,

Sure, but Vicodin, which is HYDROcodone is NOT in the same schedule as OXYcodone. Both are opioid analgesics but OXYcodone is stronger and is in the same schedule as Morphine and the more common Oxycontin, which is schedule 2. HYDROcodone is schedule 3. Refering to the Controlled Substance Scheduling.

Both work well on pain.

Did anyone actually pay for the info from that website for kidney stone prevention? After the first operation i vowed not to have it on my second ks and would like to prevent them and handle the future ones with out surgery.

Scott

dammit i'm trying to pass one right now:mad: i can't believe how many kidney stones i have had. seriously i have at least 15 in a container here, thats not counting the ones i let go, hay one quicksix how many stones can one man have ? i can post pics if no one believes it, this is un-real and also can roxicodone used for a long period of time cause kidney stones?

Originally posted by IrvJr
Did anyone actually pay for the info from that website for kidney stone prevention? After the first operation i vowed not to have it on my second ks and would like to prevent them and handle the future ones with out surgery.

Scott

Sounds too good to be true. But I just might have to try it.

Also, when exactly does the pain begin? When the stone is going to or traveling through the penis? Or does it just hurt all the way through? Like I said, I've only had sharp pain once in the doctors office. Also, he couldn't give me an idea of how long this might take. He just told me to wait ten days and if the pain was too bad and the stone hadn't passed, it would be surgery for me.

You guys have me scared.:eek: Feel like I'm waiting to get hit by a truck.:D

For me, when the stone moves, it HURTS. I think that your bladder muscles contract when the stone is moving and they may stay contracted for hours. If I feel the contractions early, usually a lot of water and tylonall will help. It also helps me if I go for a walk instead of just sitting. If I don't catch the contraction, I need 2 percocettes ( of which I have 2 left) to get me through. I have had 2 stones surgically removed from my bladder. Oh yea, they don't need an incision to remove them!!

I had several years ago. Drinking alot more water, seems to have been the key in stopping them from reocurring for me.

I've had a number of surgeries, and procedures, that afforded me the *opportunity* (?) of needing pain killers. For me, I've always built a tolerance (quickly) to anything they've given me, it took a while to figure out what was happening, since all I was trying to do was kill the pain. Well, after *running out* of meds., I learned that you DON'T Want to be pain free. For me, I just take enough on days when I just can't sleep, to be able to sleep.

Hopefully, stones would be the worst pain you experience, but there are things that can be worse. So one thing you might remember, is that things can always be worse, and plan accordingly.

And if you're beind dosed, with one pain killer, and it isn't working, tell the Drs., not all pain killers work equally well on all people. For me, Morphine, just makes me dissy, while Demoral, works miracles. And just a tiny dose of D, is all I need.

I feel for you man, I saw my dad with kidney stones one time and I thought he was going to die in the floor. Drink more water, watch your diet, and if you drink tea....cut down on it. He did so and hasnt had them since. His was caused from drinking soo much tea.

To this point I've fortunately never had a kidney stone. At the moment I'm typing this doubled over in pain on the floor just from hearing these stories. :eek: :eek: I drink at least a 6 pack of soda a day (diet). :eek: Is it the sugar in the soda that causes problems or is it something else?

I'm suddenly reminded I need to stop being such a cheepskate and get some health insurance.

I have had half a dozen of them and they go from mild to WILD! I wish you best of luck, but for the most part mine have been brutal. Nothing like vomiting from pain that makes you wish you never existed. Like others have said, pain killers only knock the edge off. When it comes, you will roll around like a mental case. Drink plenty of liquids and brace yourself. 20 minutes seems like an eternity. Here is a small collection of what I went through:

Picture of my kidney stones

BTW, I am 32.

Originally posted by TRBON8R
To this point I've fortunately never had a kidney stone. At the moment I'm typing this doubled over in pain on the floor just from hearing these stories. :eek: :eek: I drink at least a 6 pack of soda a day (diet). :eek: Is it the sugar in the soda that causes problems or is it something else?

I'm suddenly reminded I need to stop being such a cheepskate and get some health insurance.

i too thought it was the caffine but a doctor told me it was the carbination in the soda, you know the fizz when you open the can
and trust me in my house we go through about 3 2-liters a day 2-pepsi and 1 sprite

anyone try that remedy? plz report back with your results.

btw, 3, 2 liters a day thats horrible. no wonder people are getting tons of kidney stones. seriously, youre in for some diabetes or somethin

Originally posted by xlr8ngn
I have had half a dozen of them and they go from mild to WILD! I wish you best of luck, but for the most part mine have been brutal. Nothing like vomiting from pain that makes you wish you never existed. Like others have said, pain killers only knock the edge off. When it comes, you will roll around like a mental case. Drink plenty of liquids and brace yourself. 20 minutes seems like an eternity. Here is a small collection of what I went through:

Picture of my kidney stones

BTW, I am 32.

That came out of where?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm going to fill this prescription tomorrow. Ive been drinking about 80 oz of water a day plus 2-3 beers at night and still no pain. If it's going to come out I wish it would get out already. This waiting stinks.

yikes

thats alot of soda

the dentist must love you

as a side note, there are tons of "hidden" calories in soft drinks, I made it a point to just drink water and eat the same and youd be surprised at how quickly you drop pounds
just another benefit of drinking more water

Originally posted by turbo buicks
anyone try that remedy? plz report back with your results.

btw, 3, 2 liters a day thats horrible. no wonder people are getting tons of kidney stones. seriously, youre in for some diabetes or somethin

you are right turbo b. i have started to cut back on the pepsi and sprite but i will tell you get headaches from the lack of caffine. and pablo i have started doing just that

I have passed several kidney stones in my lifetime- now 46 yrs old. If you have recurrent stones, you will need to keep the passed stones (strain urine) and have it lab analyzed through your orologist to determine the type of stone. Most common is calcium oxylate and is diet and nutrition related. Teas and sodas have been linked but also good foods that are supposedly healthy for you like dark greens (broccoli, turnips, spinach), salads, etc. Bet you didn't know that? Best advice is to make yourself drink massive amounts of h2o which I have a hard time doing. This natural beverage will keep you flushed out and has so many other health related benefits. You will also need regular KUB x-rays to see if you have more stones that will eventually start to move. KUB stands for kidneys, ureter, and bladder. With reccurrent stones, this will occur about every 6 months. Genetic predisposition also plays a huge part in this so alot you can't do much about anyway. Pain associated to kidney stones is immense and can bring a grown man to tears. When you have this pain, get to a hospital ER ASAP! This is one time when an ER visit is totally waranted! Request pain meds ASAP too. There are alternative treatments available such as ultrasound blasting and a med that you could take to prevent stones. You'd need to consult with your urologist to discuss what treatment is best for you. No one's kidding around about the pain levels and intensity with this- it is THAT BAD! Anything that comes through that small opening has to hurt. Factor in the bends and turns that it has to make on it's way and you'll see. Stones can be oblong (not round as some might think) and have a jagged shape too. Good luck!

i just thought of something for you guys with this problem,
Get a Camel Back, thats the water bladder back pack thing with the hose attached. You might look silly depending on what you do with one on but you will end up drinking so much more water with it on, youll drink just as a habit.

When I was in okinawa working out of an open hangar it was pretty much mandatory so you wouldnt die of dehydration. I found myself craving more water just on my off time at night or whatever. So I guess it gets you accustomed to drinking alot of water.

Passed 2 of them, first one started the day of my wedding:eek: and lasted 3 days into my honeymoon:( but somehow still Performed:D ;) Just days of amazing lower back pain and the peeing fire was no fun. Bad part about it was I was on a cruise and had no idea what I was going through, the ship doctor said I had a pinched nerve:confused: and wasn't going to a 3rd world island hospital..
Second one came 3 yrs later and thankfully was only in major pain for 3 hrs then it made its way out:D