Kenny Duttweiler interview from PSCA Las Vegas Nats

Cool video.

Still so humble for how much he has accomplished with buicks and other makes.

:)

Thanks for sharing

Nice video he is the Turboman. My best friend BigAir fellow TurboBuick member when he went to pick up his engine that Mr. Duttweiler rebuilt for him . Got to see one of Bob Reigers engines that Duttweiler built. Mr. Duttweiler said you can have an engine just like that for 60k . It was a twin turbo Chevy engine don't remember displacement but that it was used in the 57 Pro Street Reiger ran . Mr Duttweiler said we can thank the Mustang crowd cause back then they saw the potential and jumped on it. Here is a interesting article on an other Turbo enthusiast like Mr Duttweiler. They liked the power potential of the hairdryers. Guys like these gentlemen brought turbocharging to the forefront of Drag racing. Just amazing

Texas Turb0

How Gene Deputy helped bring turbocharging to drag racing
By Robert Bravender

Ah, the mystique of twin turbos. While still not that prevalent in drag racing, those who've mastered dual "hair dryers" have certainly had tremendous impact, particularly in the realm of Pro Street.

Bob Reiger, Rod Saboury and Chuck Samuel have all shattered records with their rides, but who among you remembers Gene Deputy, the pioneer of this technology? A man who has never taken the path well-traveled, Deputy not only ran the lone turbo set up when the National Muscle Car Association (NMCA) brought the Hot Rod Magazine Top Ten Street Car Shootout to Memphis in 1992, but he was the only one with an EFI-equipped car. On top of that, he drove one of the very few Fords at the event, and it was a small block to boot.

The 1989 Mustang that Gene Deputy converted to turbo power just a month before a Super Ford Magazine-sponsored race in Columbus, Ohio. The car, running on street tires, made passes in the 11.60 range, a full second faster than the supercharged cars in the competition.

"Everybody originally told me it wouldn't work," Deputy said with a laugh. "Then when I got it to work, everybody outlawed me. But the main thing I was trying to prove was that electronic fuel injection worked; that EFI would always be faster than a carburetor. They never believed that back in the 80s. Other than a factory car, I was the first guy to successfully run EFI in a (drag) race."

Deputy's racing career began in 1960 while he was attending high school in Louisiana. His first car was a 1951 Studebaker powered by a '56 Olds V-8. "We used to go to Hallsville, near Shreveport, to race" he said. "(Back then) it was just an old abandoned road that ran downhill."

It was here that Deputy first met Dave McClelland. In those days the dean of drag race announcing was still a newsman for a local Shreveport TV station. "We all worked together to build a real drag strip in Shreveport called Old Gator Dragway," recalled Deputy. "At that time the state championship drag races were held at the airport in Mansfield, and we had to stop whenever a plane landed."

Unfortunately, Old Gator Dragway didn't last. Escalating real estate values forced closure of the track around 1969, but by then Deputy was running one of the legendary Hemi Dodge Ramchargers in Super Stock while simultaneously earning a degree in electrical and mechanical engineering from Louisiana Tech University. This in turn led to a curiously coincidental career choice.

Pic of Deputy's mustang and Reiger twin turbo small block in the 57 chevy

Attachments

• deputy_02.jpg
    deputy_02.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 307
  • riegerengine.jpg
    riegerengine.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 323
Gene Deputy was into Buicks originally back in the old days. First couple of years I went to the Nats he brought a few cars. Very nice guy.

A board member here Boosted 6&8 has one of the original GN's modified by Gene and Texas Turbo. It had an external ATR downpipe on it with a very old HKS boost controller, a Cartech/ Kenne Bell front mount intercooler and an Accel system. I just replaced the Accell with a FAST system and replaced the intercooler with a Precision.

Very cool to hear from the "Godfather" of Turbocharged performance. Such a modest person considering what he has done for the sport of drag racing. Honestly, one thing I notice about him from that interview is that he has been doing this stuff for a very long time and yet you can tell he still really enjoys what he does and still has the passion he had for it years ago when he first started. Very rare to see that IMO!:cool: