K1 rods China built?

Westside500

Banned
Are the K1 rods like the Cat cranks? China built?? Cat and Eagle are NOT the same! Do we have any other options for the 109?

Well the Eagle iron ore is American its finished in China to cut down costs.. but where does the K1 and Cat originate from? (metal wise).

Last I say, Eagle cranks were being finished in Memphis. It was just on speed this last weekend.

I think that K1 rods are made in Michigan but I am not 100% sure but i think thats reason that i was gonna buy them. I woul dprefer to buy something made in Michigan just becuase if you think that your economy is bad come to where i live and you will see bad.

You could buy a Crower crank and rods. They are made here in the states. The cranks are about $2500 and the rods will set you back another $1k +. As far as the metalurgy of the Eagle cranks being any different than the CAT cranks I doubt it since they come from the same forging. Some of the Eagle cranks are finished in the states. All of their stuff comes from China. I suspect the K1 parts do also only because of the price even if the company is based in MI. Personally I don't like Chineese products but you either pay the price for domestic made goods or don't complain what the country of origin is. I have some Buick Motorsports forgings if you want to have a crank custom made.

Neal

Are the K1 rods like the Cat cranks? China built?? Cat and Eagle are NOT the same! Do we have any other options for the 109?

You could buy a Crower crank and rods. They are made here in the states. The cranks are about $2500 and the rods will set you back another $1k +. As far as the metalurgy of the Eagle cranks being any different than the CAT cranks I doubt it since they come from the same forging. Some of the Eagle cranks are finished in the states. All of their stuff comes from China. I suspect the K1 parts do also only because of the price even if the company is based in MI. Personally I don't like Chineese products but you either pay the price for domestic made goods or don't complain what the country of origin is. I have some Buick Motorsports forgings if you want to have a crank custom made.

Neal

$2500 for a Forged crank or Billet? My buddy and myself built a 302 Ford with all Eagle stuff and turning the motor to 9200rpms no problems.. I can't believe a Crower forged crank for a buick 3.8 3.4 stroke is $2500!!:eek:

They're pretty proud of their parts but their the nicest stuff you'll find. It's almost a shame to put them in the engine where you can't see them.

Neal

$2500 for a Forged crank or Billet? My buddy and myself built a 302 Ford with all Eagle stuff and turning the motor to 9200rpms no problems.. I can't believe a Crower forged crank for a buick 3.8 3.4 stroke is $2500!!:eek:

$2500 for a Forged crank or Billet? .......I can't believe a Crower forged crank for a buick 3.8 3.4 stroke is $2500!!:eek:

The Crower crank is a billet piece, not forged. The current price is now $2700 with whatever stroke you desire!:)

Thanks for the site.. Is Michigan really that bad?:(

Well i live in Bay City Saginaw Area and with the possible closing of more of the Delphi plants and There not being many jobs for unskilled people people resort to crime. Others on the board from MI could tell you too. If your from MI then chances are you know at least 10 people who lost a job from the auto industry.

Thats funny the K1 i received said Made in china on the bags that held the rods. MI is probally just the location of the distributor of the product.

I just don't want this guy making my crankshaft!

Attachments

• chineseman.jpg
    chineseman.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,487
Several months ago i watched a very good documentary on China in the High def Discovery channel. They stated that China is one of the largest users of American Steel and aluminum. That Eagle or Cat crank you end up with may just have american steel in it. Sure its processed in China but never the less it came from here.

One of US largest crankshaft makers and finishers Callies states in their catalog that the "could not ignore" the market share of imprted cranks and rods. They them selves have a line of "china" cranks known as the "Compstar" line

And if you look around they are selling the crap out of it.

Maybe this should be moved to the political forum

If the country of manufacture is more important than cost/reliability than anyone who plans on building anything on a "budget" should sell your car promptly. Its nice to have parts that never get outsourced in your car but it is not feasible to most since they are on a budget. As proven above, manufacturing is dying in the states. Although unfortunate, it was forseen. When you have a Chinese manufactruing company with 800 employees your paying out 1000usd daily in wages. Here for the same amount of work your paying $96,000 for the same labor force over the same time. Not to mention that benefits and retirements that US based manfacturing companies are paying out as well as workers compensation for BS injuries a lot of US workers collect and companies are forced to pay. These are not even considered in China. Now maybe some will understand why it cost $3k for a billet crank and $1k for a set of billet rods made in the states. Dont get me wrong, if i was building a 1000hp engine it would get the expensive billet parts made by the best companies in the world, which are all in hte states. I myself do not support any communist nation. Their companies are like grenades with the pin pulled. Once they start making too much money the commi government takes their assets for its own benefit. Avoid Chinese stocks like the plague.