Just ordered ATR rear sway bar...

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
k I just ordered the ATR rear sway bar yesterday and it will be here any day...my question is this...

I currently have the stock lower control arms but I was wanting to maybe get a set of boxed LCAs to complete my suspension mods...but do I really need boxed arms if I have the ATR bar, air bags, and slicks? everything else is factory...in order to run mid 11's should I get the lower control arms too?

Also if I don't decide to get the LCAs...I can run the ATR bar with everything else being stock and have no problems correct?

OOPS didn't know a thread was out there like this...man you asked the same exact question...thanks!

ok after reading what UNGN said about his stock unboxed lowers disintigrating after 3 years with the ATR bar i have to do something...

say i order a set of lower control arms from ramchargers for $250 bucks...those are the metcos...will the ATR bar fit with these? and i have never taken off nor installed lower control arms before...are they are direct bolt-in or do i have to take it in and get them welded in or something? i am not sure how this setup works...i am new to these suspension mods:(

The ATR bar bolts on where the old stock bar was. There is no welding involved. Its pretty straight forward. Some people have reported having isues with the bar fitting too "tight" between the LCA's. What you can do then (if you have that problem) is sand down the ATR bar where it would rest up against the LCA's. You dont want the bar to "push" the LCA's outward (as HRPartsNStuff said) because of possible binding issues with the control arm bushings. Hope this helps.

BTW, Im not sure how they fit with the Metcos, but you may want to look at HRPartsNStuff's bars too.

i am lost about the LCA installation though...do those things bolt right in??? are they easy to take the stock ones out?

Oh you were referring to the LCA's. My fault...

Someone else is going to have to jump in here. I havent had mine off yet.

Arm replacement is very straight forward if you do one side at a time. Jack up the body and put it on jackstands. Use the jack under the axle to assist lining things up.

Don't tighten any bolts until everything is on and the car is sitting on its tires.

long skinny fingers and socket extentions are very helpful with the frame bolts.

The metcos should fit fine with the ATR bar. (Ron Kincaid of Metco used to work for ATR)

The METCO lower control arms will work perfectly with the ATR rear sway bar. The METCO sway bar ((also 1 3/8" diameter) has the same dimensions as the ATR unit, and we use both items on our cars (see sig). E-mail me for more info on the METCO lowers - We are distributors for METCO and have them in stock.

RKHiPerformance@aol.com

Kristi

Just put on the H&R LCA's and the ATR swaybar. The LCA's are top quality and easy to install, the ATR bar is huge but I had to grind off about a 1/4" to fit between the H&R's, a real PITA and get longer bolts.
H&R was supposed to come out with there own sway bar the size of ATR's that fits with there control arms but haven't herd anything lately
The stock control arms seem a little too flimsy to handle that huge swaybar without atleast being boxed in.

When I installed mine, it went right in. I did have a problem with the bolts backing off a little and didn't want to give them the mega locktight treatment so what I did was after I retightened them I just put some locktight at the outer joint of the nut and the bolt so hopefully if I have to remove it I won't need heat. My stock arms with the factory spacers in them are doing fine so far I just hear a pop every now and then where the bar shifts just slightly on its bolts when backing out of the drive but its a bad off angle driveway that tries to twist the car. I got those things pretty darn tight too. Thats one STIFFY of a bar...you'll like it a lot.

HTH

Paul (HRPartsNStuff) does make a very nice product, but I have installed METCO LCAs on numerous Buicks and I have never had to do any grinding on the sway bar to make it fit. It is a very exact fit, but no adjustment was needed.

The actual install of the LCAs is pretty straightforward. Probably about a 3-4 beer job. :D

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the install. The ones I've done were in the driveway, on jackstands, and without air tools. It's easier if you have any one of those, but not necessary. Feel free to e-mail me at RKHiPerformance@aol.com

Kristi

i have the ATR bar on both my cars. one has SSM lowers and one has Metco lowers. the bar fits fine with both but always have to retighten the nuts. gonna try some longer grade 8 bolts ans see how it holds.

I use the big ATR bar with hotchkiss lowers , works good , and yea keep and eye on the bolts loosening , might even want to saftey wire them, or double nut them.

JEFF

ATR bolts?

What type and size bolts do most people use when installing the ATR swaybar? I bought a used ATR swaybar and didn't get the bolts. I plan to install the HR upper and lower control arms. I've seen a few people recommend using longer bolts.

Use the same size bolts as stock but purchase them longer. Just measure you will get the length right. I personally used grade 8 stuff with the nylon locking nuts. This will do you great. The HRPARTSNSTUFF LCA's are an excellent choice. If you are going to run into the 11's, I recommend getting the 1/4" longer ones. They will help with pinion angle. Once you are up and running I would also recommend replacing the stock uppers too. They will alo flex and can cause wheel hop. If in the 11's or faster go with the adjustable uppers. They will help you set the perfect pinion angle for the best weight transfer which equals to the best traction you can get. They also ride excellent on the street.