Just got back into the gym..

I was a chunk when I graduated highschool (245 lbs) 17 years ago now (damn I feel old) but hid it pretty well (I'm 6'3") I looked big, but no strength, all fat.

I started my career two weeks after graduation working road construction, and being "the new guy" I got alot of the $hit work. I lost weight & got stronger REAL fast. Just over the summer I was down to 180 lbs. I had pretty much stayed around 180 until 3 years ago, when I decdided to start lifting weights.

I got the chance to buy my bro-inlaws weight equipment. He never used it, and sold thousands of dollars of equipment to me for $250. This has been some of the best money I ever spent. I'm now a steady 220 lbs, and bulk up to 230-235 at times. The difference now is it's mostly muscle. I feel great, I can do physical activities easier, lift heavy things easier, and not that she didn't love me before, but my wife comments on my muscles. I have done it all in our basement, 4 days a week, splitting it up into 2 heavy lower rep/set days, and 2 lighter weight higher rep/set days, working different muscle groups each time. I've gained the weight/muscle through dedication, eating alot, whey protein supplements, and a pre-workout supplement to get me amped up for the workout. No juice or pro-hormones.

My only regret.... not starting this 15-20 years ago.

I was a chunk when I graduated highschool (245 lbs) 17 years ago now (damn I feel old) but hid it pretty well (I'm 6'3") I looked big, but no strength, all fat.

I started my career two weeks after graduation working road construction, and being "the new guy" I got alot of the $hit work. I lost weight & got stronger REAL fast. Just over the summer I was down to 180 lbs. I had pretty much stayed around 180 until 3 years ago, when I decdided to start lifting weights.

I got the chance to buy my bro-inlaws weight equipment. He never used it, and sold thousands of dollars of equipment to me for $250. This has been some of the best money I ever spent. I'm now a steady 220 lbs, and bulk up to 230-235 at times. The difference now is it's mostly muscle. I feel great, I can do physical activities easier, lift heavy things easier, and not that she didn't love me before, but my wife comments on my muscles. I have done it all in our basement, 4 days a week, splitting it up into 2 heavy lower rep/set days, and 2 lighter weight higher rep/set days, working different muscle groups each time. I've gained the weight/muscle through dedication, eating alot, whey protein supplements, and a pre-workout supplement to get me amped up for the workout. No juice or pro-hormones.

My only regret.... not starting this 15-20 years ago.
I was always was a big kid. Im 6'3 300lbs. Been playing football and wrestling all my life. I always reacted well to working out. I would only need the protein after the workouts and id have great gains. I just never stuck with it. Ive had the energy ,strength,and motivation before . But going back to school , i dedicated myself to my couch and my text books. And was just so mentally drained to do anything, and working weekends. But I plan on sticking it out. Even more reason to now , specially after test after test people in shape and physically fit have had less medical problems in there life span( cancers, strokes, heart attacks, all that horrible stuff) Im only 26. I got some big plans and plan on reaching them, and being able to enjoy them as long as possible.
Keep the stories coming.. Gives me even more motivation :cool:

Dreamn4gn: If you're concerned about health benefits of exercise, you should also look at the diet... I've recently watched a few documentaries you might find interesting. I streamed them on Netflix... The people who I've told to watch them, that ACTUALLY watched them were really amazed at some of the stuff they saw.

One is called "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" --- Pretty interesting.
The other is called "Forks over Knives"--- talks about correlation of eating meat and heart disease and how the body can repair itself - even clogged arteries! They interview an MMA fighter who went all vegan- Guy claims he's just as big, just as strong and just as fast...

I'm not a vegetarian but I have cut back alot and am eating a ton of vegetables (and I don't really even like veggies) and fruit with some fish and chicken thrown in...

Oh, yeah and try the yoga it'll kick your arse. :)

Ive actually seen the Fat sick and Nearly dead. I can eat right as long as I have the right food in my house. I just need motivation to go shopping and Im trying to get that motivation from going to the gym. Its my 3rd day and Im hooked on it. I cant wait to go back in tomm. Hell I may even go after work tonight . I dont eat red meat that much. Venison doesnt count right?? Well it shouldnt. But I eat alot of baked fish, like talapia, tuna ,rockfish and black fish. All freshly cought except for the talapia. Ill check out the " Forks over knives". I actually eat pretty well, I havnt gained more then 5 pounds in the past few yrs. Just lost my strength . And I wanna tone up a bit. if I lost 50lbs id be happy for now.

The key is to eat right and workout properly. I usually eat 5-6 meals a day every 3 hrs. Mostly chix and brown rice with a veg. Drink tons of water and have fruit and yogurt. The key is cardio, I havent done any since its cold in NJ. I have to go to another police academy again in the fall so I have been prepping since last yr. Do alot of reps at a lighter weight to cut, then bulk up the weight when you feel like you are at the right spot. I am a soild 240 6'2, but my down fall is I smoke, I plan on quitting but dont feel the need right now. Once I start running I will. Youtube 6 pack shortcuts, Mike Chang has a ton of workouts you can do at home. I have a 14 mth old at home, so the gym is out of the question. I have a bowflex and dumbells. I do about 200-300 pushups a night depending on how I feel. I maxed out the bowflex at 300 on benching but thats good enough for me to build and maintain my chest. Just have a steady workout and you should be good. After a yr of lifting I started creatine after my workout, i take it with 8oz of grape juice. But seriously watch those vids on youtube

I've been trying to get back into shape (or at least a shape other than "round") for about a year now. It was the second trip to the ER with chest pains that convinced me it was time. The hardest part has been adjusting my diet: 40 years of eating anything and everything finally caought up to me..

I've also gotten back to hitting the gym.
You guys aren't kidding about how good it makes you feel to get in shape.
I now have the confidence to wear things I would've never wore before.

I even caught the lady that lives in the apartment below me sneaking a quick picture when I got home last night.

big guy.JPG

I try to go every other day to the gym. Been going for close to a year. Just going to stay in some kind of shape since I sit most of the day. Never going to be all jacked, don't have the drive to do it. I have gotten my gut to come in and have some stamina now. Don't like it if I miss my day.

I try to go every other day to the gym. Been going for close to a year. Just going to stay in some kind of shape since I sit most of the day. Never going to be all jacked, don't have the drive to do it. I have gotten my gut to come in and have some stamina now. Don't like it if I miss my day.
Thats all im in it for. Give me some more energy , stamina. Bring in my gut a lil bit, Maybe get some nice tone going

Good for you bro! I've been hitting it pretty hard for about 5 weeks now and loving it.

Good for you bro! I've been hitting it pretty hard for about 5 weeks now and loving it.
First day was the hardest. Im hooked now. Im doing push ups and dips throughout the day. Plus when I have to talk to patients about eating right and taking care of there body. Yet I have not taken my own advice. I just want to be healthy, and being healthy will cause me to drops some weight and thats great

More power to you. I dont have kids and my job doesnt give me much excercise. Even tho I do take the stairs instead of the elevator. I just haev a little too much insulation haha. I wanna drop a few lbs

I didn't mean to diminish your accomplishments. I am sure that making the commitment and following through are big mountains to climb. Great Job.

When I move stuff like this around and get in and out of the truck all day, and endure the mental anguish that is customer service it keeps me in pretty good shape. I quit the (when cut down) on the red meat, coffee, soft drinks, and started eating fruits and vegetables for breakfast and lunch, i got my blood pressure down to a manageable level.
120301_101136.jpg

120301_101201.jpg

I think that diet is key to any weigh loss plan. A good spirited walk in the evening can do wonders too.

I don't like gyms and I never liked cardio. I used to work out years ago and its incredible how much of a powder puff you turn into.
I just bought a second hand olympic bench with the hugely important leg attachments-never had one of those and always wanted one,time to blast them chicken legs.
You want cardio, go at a heavy punching bag as hard as you can non stop like you're in a road rage brawl...I lasted 20 seconds before I actually thought I was going to keel.

If you have time for the gym it can really improve your quality of life, even walking 20-30 min a day is better than nothing. I go on days off since I work shift work, usually when my wife is at work and son is in school. I need to do more cardio, I just don't enjoy it as much as I do lifting weights. I just got back from a week in Treasure Island Florida, with my best friend since 4 years of age and our families. He's decided to get a member ship at my gym Monday so we could go together, he works shift work too and most of our days off fall on the same schedule. I'll be dragging his ass in but it shouldn't be too hard with all the hotties wearing their lulu lemon apparel. We used to work out all the time when we were younger, I started back a couple of years ago, but was was very off and on. I'm on the right, we're both in our 40's, today I'm 5'10 244 lbs. I'd like to get down to 230 and get my hair back :) . The matching shirts were just a coincidence we were getting ready to head out to Clearwater, the wives made one of us change.
043.JPG

Awesome ... Yeah man I always walk alot in work, going thru the hospital and all. And if I dont make it to the gym, push ups and sit ups and leg raises, and I walk my pitbull everday around the block .

Awesome ... Yeah man I always walk alot in work, going thru the hospital and all. And if I dont make it to the gym, push ups and sit ups and leg raises, and I walk my pitbull everday around the block .

If you do resistance training, make sure you get a protein supplement, if not all that hard work was for nothing. It's very important to feed your body after a work. I only started using Dymatize Iso-100 recently and I added muscle pretty easily after that.

I never bothered using supplements before as I thought they were all snake oil. I don't waste my money on stacking different ones, I just use the protein but every now and then I might use a 5 hour energy or similar if I'm feeling tired. The Dymatize didn't bother my stomach like some of the samples the store had given me, they were nice enough to give me a few pouches to try before I bought, sometimes you just have to ask.

If you do resistance training, make sure you get a protein supplement, if not all that hard work was for nothing. It's very important to feed your body after a work. I only started using Dymatize Iso-100 recently and I added muscle pretty easily after that.

I never bothered using supplements before as I thought they were all snake oil. I don't waste my money on stacking different ones, I just use the protein but every now and then I might use a 5 hour energy or similar if I'm feeling tired. The Dymatize didn't bother my stomach like some of the samples the store had given me, they were nice enough to give me a few pouches to try before I bought, sometimes you just have to ask.
Yeah I always have protein bars and shakes. Just bc there a quick easy meal really. I always make sure I get my protein within 60 mins of my workout

I just recently started running again after having to take a break due to knee issues. First day out I ran 3 miles non stop and no issues. Felt real good about myself. Then tried it again a week later and couldn't do it....it was windy maybe that was it? Let a few days roll by and tried it again....same thing. I have to break it up into smaller runs, walk a little bit, then run again. I plan to keep at it though until i can run 3 miles non stop no sweat.

I do plan to start lifting again. Would like to get quicker at running and bulk up at the same time.