Just Curbed My Polished Aluminum Wheel/Can it be refinished..how much $? ---

alwayscode390

I was pulling into a spot alongside a curb.

I asked my buddy to look out and see how much room I had.

He said " atleast a full foot " ... well I turned the wheel just a little bit and RUUUUUUUB.

I probably had 4" ... thats what I get for trusting someone.
The wheels are polished with clear coating done by HRE.

It doesnt feel super deep but looks like CRAP. Looks like I mainly just tore up the clear coat with a little bit of scratching a couple inches long.
In order to touch it up myself, what can I do? Should I just try to polish it, or should I take fine grit sand paper before I do it (or will that make things worse taking off the entire clear coat on that section?)

Can they usually refinish a wheel? I guess they strip the clear coat, polish/sand up the blemished area, then re-clear coat?
How much does that usually cost?
Do you have to take off the rim and send it somewhere , or is this something they can do in a day? I dont have a spare to put on.

These wheels are discontinued too :(

Scratches can be fixed, but if these are powdercoated, you are not in a good place. Powdercoat is pretty much permanent. It cant be stripped and redone, nor can it be touched up. Your best bet would be to have someone repolish the entire lip of the wheel and leave it bare aluminum. Take it back to your coater and see what he says.
As for the buddy with the piss poor measuring skills...that would be his last ride in my car.

Ohhh no not the HREs!!!! Nate you suck :-P

there is a place on St. charles rock rd. That refinishes wheels.... It might be the hubcap and wheel store....

Aaron

I beg to differ powder coat can be stripped with air craft stripper I've done it many times it does work best if you reheat the powder first

Where are you located?

Call Alloy Wheel Repair, they should be able to fix it in about an hour. Should cost about $100 - $125.

If you're near Phoenix, PM me and I'll hook you up with a better price.