Just bought an '03 Cobra... Happy Birthday to me!

YGETV8

I think, therefore I am??
Yep... bit the bullet and traded in our falling apart '94 GT 'vert and got a used Redfire coupe w/2500 miles on it. Must say I am very impressed thus far!

How many of us Buick guys have bought these now? Have heard them referred to as the "GN of the new millenium" since they respond to simple mods so well. Some Buick people may think of that as an insult, but I considered it to be a nice compliment when you think about it.

Thanks, Frank. So far, I am really enjoying it! Worst part is that I haven't driven a performance stick shift car in so many years, it'll take some getting used to! The shifter is awkward, 'specially for a short guy like me as it requires a long reach. (That is a common compaint, as I understand it)

Mine has the chrome wheel option, and although I didn't like them much on some other Cobras, I think they work nicely with this color. If I change my mind, I kept the 17" ROH ZS wheels off our GT!

It stays flat through turns and feels very well balanced for a nose heavy 3800 pounder! Acceleration is pretty good, and I like the blower whine! ;)

Wife says I "CAN'T TOUCH IT!" I can think of a few things I can do that she won't even notice! :eek:

Jay

I can think of a few things I can do that she won't even notice!
She won't see a drop-in K&N, won't notice the blower pulley as long as you put the cover back over it, and the chip is completely out of sight! :D
Might not get away with a catback. ;)
Congrats!!!
Been wanting one myself, but I'm planning on moving into a bigger house this year, and I'd rather wait until that's out of the way.
S.

Congrats:D I love 03 Cobras, passed up a chance to get one last year and have regret it ever since. Trying to save up for a 04 Cobra now. Have fun with yours:cool:

Might want to wait for the '05.
Modified version of the DEW chassis and a rumored 500hp. :eek:
S.

I thought I had heard that there won't be an '05 Cobra... '06 for sure? With the '05 GTs having 300 horses, they BETTER up the ante on the Cobras!

Jay

YGETV8 why don't you do a little comparison to a midly modified (lets say $2,000 max) Gn if you don't mind. Very few people can give us this real perspective.

I bought a 04 GTO ....

Happy Birthday to me. Next b-day will be a 427 LS1.

With the new LSX intake(smaller one) we've seen 530 RWHP NA and I believe about 26-ish mpg on the freeway.

I just drove a modded 03 yesterday. It was insane! Besides my tendency to stick it in 3rd gear when taking off it was fine. I rode in the car stock and it's a totally different animal with some basic mods. Ya gotta sneak em past the wife! ;)

YGETV8 why don't you do a little comparison to a midly modified (lets say $2,000 max) Gn if you don't mind. Very few people can give us this real perspective.

I can try to help ya with that. My GN ran 11.80@117+ w/ 1.78 60ft. Combo was PTE-44, CAS V4, 009 injectors, Walbro 340, Adj FPR, Terry Houston 3" DP, Flowmaster catback w/ 3" cutout, Joe Tripodi 2-stage alky, Vince Janis built tranny (billet internals) w/ loosened stock converter, various chassis stiffening, Centerline Telstars w/ BFG 275/60/15 DRs. Custom burnt chip from Cotton, I think. I almost identical times whether running alky or race gas. Car could've went mid-11s with slicks.

My Cobra has 2.80 RR pulley, Amazon Diablo chip, Dynomax catback, Amazon intake (i.e. open element filter). Car has been 12.09@118 on factory radials w/ 1.86 60'. Easy mid-11 car with some DRs and good track prep. Quite a few knock-up drivers have been low 11s with the same combo. This is all on 93oct gas.

I spent a lot more on the GN, but some of those items were upgraded simply b/c the stock components needed replaced anyhow. The response to mods is very comparable. The fact that the Cobra can do it on pump fuel is a major plus, in my book. I certainly consider it a modern-day GN, even though it's a Ford! ;)

Ike how much is the next level? Lets say low 11? In order to compare the two $$$$$$$ has to be factored in. I thought of a used 03 Cobra but I thought for $25,000 I build a much better Gn and have plenty to spare. I am not knocking those of you who purchased the car. $$$$$$$ is just a bigger factor for me.

I think it would be fair to call the 2003 Cobra the "GN of the New Millenium" if, and only if, the new millenium is ruled by Munchkins.

I mean, it's great that the thing goes 11's on pump gas with just a couple of relatively cheap, relatively simple mods, BUT WHO THE HELL CAN FIT IN ONE?

The thing is way, way too small for most normal humans. What is Detroit thinking? Folks are getting bigger and bigger, yet they still keep making cars better suited to Japanese women.

I've owned 3 Mustangs over the years, a '65 'vert, a 70 Boss 302 and an '89 LX hatch, and I fit better in any of them better than the Cobra.

TOO DAMN SMALL...

:D

Ike how much is the next level? Lets say low 11? In order to compare the two $$$$$$$ has to be factored in. I thought of a used 03 Cobra but I thought for $25,000 I build a much better Gn and have plenty to spare. I am not knocking those of you who purchased the car. $$$$$$$ is just a bigger factor for me.

Low 11's isn't much more, depending on how you approach it. My combo has went low 11s on DRs, but with really good drivers. Hell, one guy has went 10.9x. For an average driver like me, the different ways would probably DRs and....
lower pulley ($300-400), or port the Eaton ($250-500, depending on vendor), or idler pulley/x-pipe/weight ($130/$150/free), or spray (not a big fan) which would could easily hit 10s.
The simplest way would be to throw some slicks on it. Many have done it with no problems, many others have busted halfshafts. I prefer to avoid potential problems, so I'll stick with DRs (which I don't have yet) until I get some hardened halfshafts.

Size restraints depend on the driver, I suppose. It fits me like a glove. No more cramped than a Vette, Viper, F-body, etc. IMHO

The monetary bottom line will always go to the GN b/c the initial cost of a 16+ yr old car is going to be much lower than the Cobra. But dollar for dollar modding, it's a great comparison. The higher cost of the Cobra also gets you handling and braking from the factory, which could be modded into the GN. Gotta love the 6spd, though...

Originally posted by TEST MY 6
"GN of the new millenium" PLEEEZ:rolleyes:
Time to change your username

Why does it seem that every thread on this board turns negative anymore?

GN's and TR's are certainly nice and fast for the $$, but jeez give me a break. There ARE other cars out there that are just as quick that people can enjoy just as much. :rolleyes:

Previously Posted by:
"DKRDT":
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TEST MY 6
"GN of the new millenium" PLEEEZ
Time to change your username
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why does it seem that every thread on this board turns negative anymore?"

"GN's and TR's are certainly nice and fast for the $$, but jeez give me a break. There ARE other cars out there that are just as quick that people can enjoy just as much."

I do not agree with you that the particular comment turned this thread negative:
I think that the person was only voicing his opinion.
My opinion is pretty much the same, although the Stang Cobra
is a great car, I don't think that it will ever attain the status of the
late model GNX/GN/TR cars.
It is pretty much a apple to oranges comparasion:
You are comparing a 17 year old car that maintains it's value pretty well to a new vehicle that has 17 years newer technology and will lose value the minute that you sign the paperwork.
I will not be trading in my TR anytime soon on a Stang, I don't care how fast it goes. It is doubtful that it will attain the status the the TR"S have now and in the near future.
However: FWIW & IMHO
to each his own, I guess

Well, I STILL have my WE4, and it's still faster than my Cobra, so can I PLEASE keep my user name?! ;)

Yes, apples to oranges. I've also got a pear, er, I mean, Z28 in the driveway. :eek:

The ONLY thing I meant by REPEATING that "GN of the new millenium" line was that they both respond to bolt-ons well.

This is my sixth Mustang ('67, '79, '82, '85, '94, '03) and I have always been a bigger fan of the Fox bodies than the SN95s... till the '03 Cobras came out. I just fell in love with them. My choice, my money. As for fitting into one, at 5'7" (borderline munchkin!), that's no problem!

Today's dollar versus 1987's dollar, I bet price isn't ALL that far apart as far as a loaded GN sold for. Status? Probably never reach the "legend" status of the Turbo Buick, no. Depreciation? Yes, but that's why I bought it used!

One quick example of what it can do that would terrify me in my WE4: there is a short stretch of road in front of where I work. Dead end both sides, no crossroads, industrial park. I took a co-worker for a quick ride and got to 100 mph and stopped again with room to spare. I WON'T be trying that same stunt in my WE4!