An '03 Cobra is in the garage

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
Yep, a black '03 Cobra is now in the garage, my son having bought it last Friday. It is a VERY nice car! He sold his GN last fall after getting it down into mid elevens and decided he wanted to do something different. Well, this is definitely different.

It is an ubelievably well built car and I went with him to pick it up. It has power galore for a new car and I was very impressed with not only the car but the dealership he bought it from. He did say that someday he will have another GN (hardtop this time) but for now, he is enjoying the Snake.

We're going to take both the Cobra and my GN to the track later this spring and see how they compare. Should be interesting. ;)

I'll post some pics in a day or two after we take some with the Digital camera.

I have seen very little done to the 03 corbas and i seen one run
11.80s at 120 on drag radials.

I was at the track last night,There was a guy there with a yellow 03 Cobra...Dont know what was done to it,Didnt have an exhaust on it..That I know..(very quiet)..He was running 12.0@120 on street tires..Impressive cars no doubt..:eek:

That's awesome man. What color did he go with? The new Cobras are very nice cars, I'd love to be able to have one. You guys need to go out and have a Cobra/GN photoshoot. :)

I agree they are very nice,just too bad there was'nt an offering like this from the General to drool over.They are forcing us to love Fords for gods sake!!! Don't get me wrong,no a hater it's just I come from a Ford family and am the oddball GM lover.Hopefully the heat will be on them to respond with something worthwhile for a change.

remindes me of supra, run low 11 trap speeds but cant get out of the 12s. isnt that the point of drag racing?

Matt, most of these et high because everyones running them on street tires. They are awesome. One guy had one at the dyno last week and pulled like 381 stone stock. Not even a K&N. Too bad they are pricey.

matt87
remindes me of supra, run low 11 trap speeds but cant get out of the 12s. isnt that the point of drag racing?

Yeah I know what you mean, my bud's bolt-on 03 is running 10 sec mile per hour(126) and is only running mid elevens(11.46) on street tires. Doh!!!

Originally posted by 19TTA89
I was at the track last night,There was a guy there with a yellow 03 Cobra...Dont know what was done to it,Didnt have an exhaust on it..That I know..(very quiet)..He was running 12.0@120 on street tires..Impressive cars no doubt..:eek:

Yeah, kinda like the fish that got away. Don't know what track you hang around, but I'm not seeing stock Cobras turning in 120 traps on street tires?

Ford is back on top...

I wouldn't even think about walking into a GM dealer now or anytime in the near the future.

I bought a 2003 SVT Lightning about a month ago, what does GM have thats even close to that? The SS Silverado? lol thats like Racing a GN against a Monte.

Originally posted by TTA89
Ford is back on top...

I wouldn't even think about walking into a GM dealer now or anytime in the near the future.

I bought a 2003 SVT Lightning about a month ago, what does GM have thats even close to that? The SS Silverado? lol thats like Racing a GN against a Monte.

Have you raced a Silverado SS yet? You might want to look at the specs. and possible add-ons to that SS. Right off the showroom floor they are producing just about the same power as the Lightning ( GM always underrates HP ). Add a few go-fast parts or get wild and add a Whipple/Vortec and your lightning is in the rear view mirror. You do know they are all wheel drive right - no way you can launch that hard in a Lightning. Let's not stay focused on what the SS delivers this year - wait until 2004/2005 and maybe you will change your opinion. Ford started with the wrong motor - multiple cams/valve junk. Chevy is getting about the same power from a old style ( but reliable) OHV setup.

Ignoring the performance aspect - who's truck will be worth more in 3 years - the SS or Ford. You should be able to answer that question yourself.

Originally posted by gndude
Have you raced a Silverado SS yet? You might want to look at the specs. and possible add-ons to that SS. Right off the showroom floor they are producing just about the same power as the Lightning ( GM always underrates HP ). Add a few go-fast parts or get wild and add a Whipple/Vortec and your lightning is in the rear view mirror. You do know they are all wheel drive right - no way you can launch that hard in a Lightning. Let's not stay focused on what the SS delivers this year - wait until 2004/2005 and maybe you will change your opinion. Ford started with the wrong motor - multiple cams/valve junk. Chevy is getting about the same power from a old style ( but reliable) OHV setup.

Ignoring the performance aspect - who's truck will be worth more in 3 years - the SS or Ford. You should be able to answer that question yourself.

Horsepower Ratings are made to sell cars. Take the SS to the track and watch them run high 14s low 15s. Every single Lightning will run 13s even with you driving ;)

On a prepped Track Bone STOCK lightnings are running 1.8 -1.9 60ft times on the STOCK 295/45-18 F1 Goodyears.

I raced my truck on Friday and the track was a mess, you couldnt come out hard at all, even with a 2.11 60ft it still went 13.5s. Wait till I got on a day when they prep the track. Low 13s will be a cake walk.

Superchargers and Add-ons? You mean things that void the warranty? You sound like a Mustang guy trying to defend itself again a GN. "Well if I had a Turbo too I would be faster than you" Give me a break... You DON'T and can't compete.

Let's not stay focused on what the SS delivers this year - wait until 2004/2005 and maybe you will change your opinion. Ford started with the wrong motor - multiple cams/valve junk. Chevy is getting about the same power from a old style ( but reliable) OHV setup.

Whatever... Thats all personal opinion and not Fact.

The Facts are.

The SS gets STOMPED by the Lightning, not even a race in Drag Racing or Road Racing, Auto X whatever your looking for.

Biggest benifit over the Lighting? Its good in the snow... heh but if I cared about that I would have bought a 4X4 truck anyways!

We have to stay focused on what the SS delivers this year??? Well if your looking for a truck thats what you can currently buy!!!!

An SS Super Sled or a Supercharged Lightning.. Hmmm Only people buying the SS are brainwashed GM guys thinking that GM has a better product, and thats not true.

Want to talk about 2005? The new F150 comes out next year, the Gen 3 Lightning is Slated at a Supercharged 500hp Powerplant. Again, it will own the GM truck just as Ford owns all GM car lines currently. Except for the Z06 Vette in which Ford doesn't have a car selling in that price range.

I am not loyal to any car manufacturer, whoever builds the best product at the time I am looking for a car is what I will buy. I never understood the whole brand loyal thing. If the guy across the street is building a better product for the same price why in the world would you not buy it? Yet people will continue to purchase GM cars even though there Quality has gone into the Toliet.

Hell, If Hyndai came out with an AWD 400HP Turbo Something tomorrow, I would be there in a heartbeat. Who cares who makes it, as long as its the best product out at the time.

How many people did you think would be buying Subura's a few years ago?

The Lightning is truly a better Performance Truck than the SS. Thats a Fact.

I don't know, the SS isnt 3 years old. Truthfully, I don't care either. Cars are not an investment. Lets say that the SS is worth more (although I can't image why, nobody wants them) by a few thousand. That alone would sway you into the buying it? Because the resale value is better? That makes Zero sense to me.

I bought the Lightning because its the Fastest Truck on the Market and there isnt anything thats even near it for Performance right now. The Chevy doesnt need AWD, it probably can't even spin the tires ;)

They had a recall on the some of the 03's for reliability reasons. I don't trust that blown 4.6 much. I think there was some sort of problem with the rods having a tendency to let loose? They're plenty fast stock. Going above stock on them seems like a bad idea. When they bring the 5.0 back on the other hand...

I watched a local guy (17 yr old) here in an 03 cobra go 10.97 at 128? about a month ago.. On slicks..

They are truly impressive cars... And I am NOT a ford fan..

Originally posted by TTA89
Horsepower Ratings are made to sell cars. Take the SS to the track and watch them run high 14s low 15s. Every single Lightning will run 13s even with you driving ;)

On a prepped Track Bone STOCK lightnings are running 1.8 -1.9 60ft times on the STOCK 295/45-18 F1 Goodyears.

I raced my truck on Friday and the track was a mess, you couldnt come out hard at all, even with a 2.11 60ft it still went 13.5s. Wait till I got on a day when they prep the track. Low 13s will be a cake walk.

Superchargers and Add-ons? You mean things that void the warranty? You sound like a Mustang guy trying to defend itself again a GN. "Well if I had a Turbo too I would be faster than you" Give me a break... You DON'T and can't compete.

Whatever... Thats all personal opinion and not Fact.

The Facts are.

The SS gets STOMPED by the Lightning, not even a race in Drag Racing or Road Racing, Auto X whatever your looking for.

Biggest benifit over the Lighting? Its good in the snow... heh but if I cared about that I would have bought a 4X4 truck anyways!

We have to stay focused on what the SS delivers this year??? Well if your looking for a truck thats what you can currently buy!!!!

An SS Super Sled or a Supercharged Lightning.. Hmmm Only people buying the SS are brainwashed GM guys thinking that GM has a better product, and thats not true.

Want to talk about 2005? The new F150 comes out next year, the Gen 3 Lightning is Slated at a Supercharged 500hp Powerplant. Again, it will own the GM truck just as Ford owns all GM car lines currently. Except for the Z06 Vette in which Ford doesn't have a car selling in that price range.

I am not loyal to any car manufacturer, whoever builds the best product at the time I am looking for a car is what I will buy. I never understood the whole brand loyal thing. If the guy across the street is building a better product for the same price why in the world would you not buy it? Yet people will continue to purchase GM cars even though there Quality has gone into the Toliet.

Hell, If Hyndai came out with an AWD 400HP Turbo Something tomorrow, I would be there in a heartbeat. Who cares who makes it, as long as its the best product out at the time.

How many people did you think would be buying Subura's a few years ago?

The Lightning is truly a better Performance Truck than the SS. Thats a Fact.

I don't know, the SS isnt 3 years old. Truthfully, I don't care either. Cars are not an investment. Lets say that the SS is worth more (although I can't image why, nobody wants them) by a few thousand. That alone would sway you into the buying it? Because the resale value is better? That makes Zero sense to me.

I bought the Lightning because its the Fastest Truck on the Market and there isnt anything thats even near it for Performance right now. The Chevy doesnt need AWD, it probably can't even spin the tires ;)

Warranty is the hold-up for the SS over the Ford huh? Add a underdrive pulley and other items to that Ford and try to get warranty work done - it won't happen. I can only imagine how many of these SVT based cars/trucks have been denied warranty work because of mods ( talked to any Cobra owners trying to get clutch work done under warranty recently?)

I'm not down on your truck, I really like the SVT and would consider buying one. Really the SS and Lightning are apples and oranges - the Ford is all plastic from the cab back, is only a 2 seater and is supercharged. The SS is all metal, comes in extended cab and is normally aspired. Point is, they are for different audiences and not meant to really compete. When GM delivers you can bet it won't be second to anyone.

As for me owning a Mustang - not here, only a slightly modded GN will do ;)

Something I will say, I wouldn't drive a Honda or Subura even if it were to produce 400HP and AWD - I'd bet alot of people of this board feel the same way.

Originally posted by gndude
Warranty is the hold-up for the SS over the Ford huh? Add a underdrive pulley and other items to that Ford and try to get warranty work done - it won't happen. I can only imagine how many of these SVT based cars/trucks have been denied warranty work because of mods ( talked to any Cobra owners trying to get clutch work done under warranty recently?)

You bet it is. I don't need to add anything to the Lightning, Bone stock there is no other truck that will touch it. No matter what brand it is parts a labor are rediculous. I want to save my warranty at all costs in case something does happen.

Something I will say, I wouldn't drive a Honda or Subura even if it were to produce 400HP and AWD - I'd bet alot of people of this board feel the same way.

Why? I never understood this? If they build a something thats better than anything out there why wouldnt you buy one? You would rather spend the same money on an inferior product?

I don't know, I just don't get it. :confused: :confused: :confused:

When GM delivers you can bet it won't be second to anyone.

That's the problem, they aren't delivering, except for the Vette. The things they have coming up are the Impala SS/Monte Carlo SS :rolleyes: the SSR :rolleyes: and the GTO. Those last 2 are the most interesting, but will be either lacking in performance for the styling, or lacking styling for the performance. And none of them will touch the Cobra. Why they axed the F-body is beyond me, in the middle of a HP revolution and renewed interest in performance cars.
I'm with TTA89, brand loyalty is boring and limiting. No manufacturer has the best product all the time, in any area, cars, electronics, anything. I understand if you *work* for the company, and have incentives, but otherwise, I don't get it.

I hate ford but I would definetly consider buying a 03 Cobra and I have always like the Lightnings and Harley Trucks. I want a Harley truck. That is what I will proly get when I get a new truck. The SS's have the 6.0 engine and I dont even think it makes as much hp as the new Escalade the Escalade has the new high hp 6.0. So i am pretty sure that the SS wont even outrun my Dakota R/T. Plus the SS I saw at a dealership was 50 grand yes 50,000.

The only Ford product I would buy would be the Lightning. But even then, I'm not sure if I actually would. Chevy has nothing I want. I dont even like the new SS. I think it is one of the ugliest trucks out there. There is a company in Arizona called AS&M, and I believe that they offered a special edition Chevy truck. i think it was supercharged and ran 13.7s. You could order the Sierra C3 (now Denali) and get it sent to Lingenfelter and it would come back running 12.9s AWD. I have the article on it. Thought that was cool. I dont dislike Fords, but they dont have any products that appeal to me. You could order Mustangs from tuners (Saleen, Steeda, Roush) and pay 60k. I'll pay 6k for a GN and go by them all day long, in a straight line.

Just my .02

Later