An '03 Cobra is in the garage

GMs gonna loose many loyalists

I'm actually in the market for a new summer toy and went to go check out the Cobra at the local Ford dealeraship..they had none. I wanted to drive one and see how I liked it. For the price..you can't beat it, in fact, even if the price were 10k higher you still couldn't beat it, but lets hope they dont'realize that :)

GM..yea, I'm a GM guy..dont' care for Fords all that much, never really have...but you gotta take your hat off to Ford for having the ballz to put a car like that on the market. GM, when they do get back into the pony car arena will have some SERIOUS ground to make up. Kinda like when the Mustang first came out back in 64 and GM didn't have a Camaro...De Ja Vu anyone? Not that I was there, but I read about it :)

Anyways, I'm going to BG in 3 wks. If I dont find a low mile summer toy there, You may see a snake parked in the driveway come summer.

I like verts a lot, anyone have any info on the cobra converts? do they totally suck and rattle like or were they designed AS a convert to be structurally sound or just a coupe w/the roof chopped off??

Joe

A local friend nabbed a silver Cobra coupe that just arrived unsold this week and showed it off last night at a cruise with all its 99 miles on it. After he breaks it in, I'll go for a ride. It really is a nice car. I immediately noticed that the color design of the front seats was just like a GN (more comfy than GN though).

He got a good deal after succeeding in getting his employer (owner of several dealerships) to grudgingly grant him his rightful employee discount on it. This guy has owned GNs, has been on this board in the past, and is a general fast-car enthusiast. In fact, one of the first things he said was how it was quiet like the TRs but comes to life when the blower kicks in. He chose the hard top over the convertible so that he can run down to 12.0/11.50 without a roll bar at the NHRA/IHRA tracks here. Convertibles require a bar at a slower ET so that made the decision easy. I'm sure he'll sell it within a year or so, and move on to something else.

I feel old.

Art

GN#1 9.43 @ 143.X
GN#2 beater 11.0 @ 124.X
1970 GS in progress

Ya, it's me........... the owner of the car!! Thanks to all who have given good comments. The car is absolutely unbelievable. I've always been a diehard GM guy, but with age comes wisdom. The General absolutely cannot touch this car, for the price.
I loved my GN, and running 11.8s on street tires was a lot of fun. Probably aren't many kids building 11sec Buicks from 17-20 yrs old! ;) But, I did what I wanted with that car. If I were to have kept that car, it would've become a major investment. I sold it when I did b/c the time was right. I made my money back, and made a new owner very happy. Gimme 10yrs and I'm sure I'll have a nice hardtop GN sitting in the garage. I'll put the same combo back on it, and enjoy. But............. I guarantee my COBRA will be sitting right beside it! :D This car isn't going anywhere!!
The mods certainly won't wait for the warranty to run out. What's the fun in that?! I'll keep it simple for now (exhaust, CAI, shifter, subframes), but don't be suprised if I'm pushing 500rwhp by the end of next summer!
Thanks to everyone for always helping with my GN questions over the years. The help of this board built a nasty Buick, and created a knowledgable/dangerous young tuner ;) Perhaps I'll see some of you fellas at Kilkare, again (Vern, Bobby, etc..) Although, I frequent Norwalk more often.
I'll get some pics ASAP

Thanks!!
~Ike~
2003 Black Cobra Coupe

Congrats on the car, Ike....I'm sure you'll love it.

Being a drag racer, you might want to attend the Modular Shootout at National Trails Raceway near Columbus in July. There will be lots of 03 Cobra's running (along with a slew of other modular-powered Mustangs), and some of the prize money taint bad at all (especially the $15,000 to win in Open Comp).

Best of luck to you.

Appreciate it, Bob! I have a couple of buds who frequent National Trails. One in particular is looking for high 10's out of his blown '93 LX. I'd really like to make it for the shootout, and the large cruise they're planning. There are only two other '03 Cobras in Lima, right now. I'm sure I'll see one at the track (Mr. Dorn). I've always admired your ability to make that N/A Cammer move....... but I guarantee this blower will put a smile on your face :D

I agree with most of you guys, it seems like GM just stopped trying and all they do now is bring back old names and make it a fwd ,slow, ugly car. They stopped F-bodies due to safety issues for 2003. I don't like ford but if i was buying a new car it would be a 03 cobra. ford even doing better with trucks. my father has a f-350 diesel which ihas been his best truck to date all his other trucks have been chevys. I guess its a good thing they stopped the GN's cause by now it'd be a 4 door economy car with nothing but a name.

Looks like my SD has sold and I've really been trying to decide between another modded GN, another ZR-1, or '03 Cobra. Stopped by a dealer in Dallas last week and took one for a spin. A little cramped on the inside, but neat car...of course I couldn't do much with all that RWHP with the salesman in the car. Even though they are starting to discount them, I will probably go with a low mileage used , some of which I've seen for the high twenties;)

rob raymer at quarter mile performance had a new cobra that went 7 teens in the eighth mile with just a few modifications. he designed and sells a trick exhaust system for them. i think he just had headers, exhaust, a blower pulley and a reprogamming job on his.
www.quartermileperformance.com
is his website, it has info on the car on it

rob also has a harley truck with a few mods, we were in bowling green on scottsville road last week and raced a typhoon in it. we had four people in the harley, the bed full of coolers and still beat the typhoon pretty good.