Jet Hot Coating

GNAT87

I think i might port my stock headers and reweld the crack up. Just clean them up before i complete my motor. Does anyone know a company or maybe someone on the boards that does the Jet Hot Coating on them. Thanks everyone

contact user " rmar " he does coatings. He is in Ill. His name is Ronnie Martin

Bryan

Jet-Hot Sterling Extreme is the way to go,Ihad 3in. thdp done for $124.00 took 8/10 days turnaround, good luck,Jackie

Powder coat

My buddy and I powder coated my hard vacuum lines and some other engine compartment stuff today, turned out really good. You would not believe how much prep work goes into doing the smallest items...all day long for vac lines and fuel rail and coolent lines.:biggrin: I'll definately send out for the high temp stuff though, good price on the THDP, I'll be contacting Jethot soon.

So whats the best way to clean up headers? I have a sand blaster and I also have a diegrinder. The driver side has a crack where they all merge together, but the passenger side has no cracks. And then for porting how do I go about that? Anyone have any pics of their porting job? Whats the bits you guys would use on a dremel tool for the job?

Thanks everyone:cool:

Not sure...

about the sandblaster on the s/s, but a muffler shop can weld up the header, just have a brace welded across to help prevent a re-occurance.:rolleyes: You can use a pointed burr in the die grinder to match-port the headers.

If you are going to clean up your headers with a sandblaster and you are going to have them ceramic coated, you can only use aluminum oxide about 80 to 120 grit. If you use sand it embeds in metal, will get covered by the ceramic and then when it gets heated up from driving it will literally explode and blow off the coating. The guy in Lafayette that I told you about will clean them for you and go thru a rigorous prep for the coating. If you are wanting to clean them yourself, the aluminum oxide is about 45-50 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket full. Be sure not to use more than 50 psi for the aluminum oxide or it will explode into dust.

I did my stock headers in the 2000 deg black ceramic. I sandblasted(using sand), cleaned with acetone, coated and baked. Still look great after a year or so. If you don't want the shiney stuff, do it yourself:)
Ross

Hi-temp powder???

Where did you get 2000 degree hi temp owder from? The eastmans stuff only goes to 1200...here is a pic of the MAF & uppipe, we did these today in a color called stamped steel, I'm also doing the turbo shield, just have to get it cut first to fit my THDP...:D

Attachments

• SSPX0017.jpg
    SSPX0017.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 722
If you are going to do them you can use course sand or alum. oxide no more than 120 grit. 80 to 100 is preferred can use high pressure to get them clean or remove the existing coating. But then you must go back over them with low pressure. This is to put a profile on the metal so the coating will stick. Never bead blast. Always preheat them. This helps drive out any contaminates embedded in the metal. And then clean with acetone. MEK
or whatever... If you stay with the solvent based material they are a lot more forgiving. Depending on where you use them most of the blacks will flatten out or dull.

Hope this helps.

They do not make a 2000 deg. powder.
Ceramic is a sprayed on liquid thats baked at a high temp.

Thanks guys I think I am going to send them off somewhere to get coated and try to clean them up myself using a diegrinder first and see how that works. Thanks for all the information.:)

you also might look into nitroplate, they also do ceramic coating. I have mine their right now..can't wait till they come back. Rep that I spoke to has said they have had very good results for turbocharged vehicles. They also warrenty for 3 years.
NitroPlate - HighTemp Header Coating

Steve

you also might look into nitroplate, they also do ceramic coating. I have mine their right now..can't wait till they come back. Rep that I spoke to has said they have had very good results for turbocharged vehicles. They also warrenty for 3 years.
NitroPlate - HighTemp Header Coating

Steve

I noticed on the nitroplate site they advertise their product good up to 1300 degrees. Is this accurate, do they do another type of coating for temps in excess of 1300?

Almost everything shinny is only good to a max of 1300 deg metal temp. 1500 EGT. temp MAX after that
it burns the alum pigment and dulls out or turns. Fact.

If it looks alum/ chrome......etc... these are the limits. for now

You can get the cerakrome(shiny coating) as well as the other colors up to 2000 degrees protection with an insulating coating applied in addition to the ceramic coating. This can be used with all colors as well. BEWARE though... the colors (Black, Blue, Red, Orange, CermaKrome) used alone are usually only good to about 1400 to 1500 degrees and some of the blacks out there will start to change color like a charcoal grayish look when they get to high heats. My ceramic supplier has a black that goes up to 2000 degrees alone, Although I would still recommend an insulator still be applied to protect the color and again assure up to 2000 degrees protection.