Jeep steering shaft SNAFU!! Help!!!

Thanks for the help, the shaft compresses no problem, it's the ends that won't budge

Thanks for the help, the shaft compresses no problem, it's the ends that won't budge

Can you upload a picture of the ends? The splined end should go in no problem. It's usually the end on the firewall that people have trouble with.

Here is a picture. It the right Nacam shaft, I bought it here some time ago. I could try and pry it, but its thick. That's why I thought I could heat it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 96
Here is a picture. It the right Nacam shaft, I bought it here some time ago. I could try and pry it, but its thick. That's why I thought I could heat it up.

Remove bolt and install it with opening facing towards the intercooler. You might have to beat it a bit like in the video for the splines to sit properly. Make sure you grease it first.

Here is a picture of what way it should be facing.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1377967194.232258.jpg

To open the ends up a bit, take the bolt out and thread it partly into the threaded hole (opposite side). Place a piece of thick steel flat stock in the gap. Then tighten the bolt so that it is up against the flat stock and pushes the end open. Don't go too hog wild, do it just enough so that it slips onto the box shaft and/or column shaft.

When installing onto the steering box shaft be sure to leave the bolt out. It sits in a groove on the box shaft and will prevent the end from going on.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Ok, I did the bolt on the opposite side and opened the ends up. While still wedged open, I slid the ends on. I had to remove the bolts once started but then hammered both sides on. I had to dremeling a groove in the top part for the bolt, but now that's done. I don't know why I didn't think of that, I have done that before. Time to pit the ps resorvoir back in place and call it done.

Thanks for all the assistance. I have had this shaft for over a year, finally got the nerve to do it.