Jeep steering shaft SNAFU!! Help!!!

I tried searching, how do you install this thing? The top looks easy, but the bottom is buried. Do you access that from underneath? I dont even see how to fit it in there unless you yanked the steering wheel, and pushed it through.

Go to the steering and susppension section and click on the suspension recipes sticky. It has all the links in it and one of them is about this shaft.:)

another thing you wanna watch for is the ujoint going bad. Something that I didn't check before I installed mine.

I tried searching, how do you install this thing? The top looks easy, but the bottom is buried. Do you access that from underneath? I dont even see how to fit it in there unless you yanked the steering wheel, and pushed it through.
I just installed it this past weekend. But I was also doing intercooler repair and replacing the A/C compressor with a delete pulley. With all that out we still took off the accessory bracket to move the power steering at which point the steering shaft was a breeze. We didn't look at removing from underneath. One thing to watch for, when done we saw one of the power steering hoses rubbing against the new u-joint (guess that's what the rubber boot on the old shaft is for), we tied the hose out of the way.

Edit: I got my shaft from LSJM1, really nice piece, we did not need to notch the wheel side shaft for the pinch bolt to go through like I've seen many others mention.

I just picked one up over the weekend from a 94 jeep, can someone give me a number that is stamp on theres so i can see if i got the right one..

Reviving an old thread, I can't figure out how to install this thing. There is no way to get at it with the a/c and power steering in the way. No access at all. Anyone install the the lower half from underneath the car, and then attaching the upper half from the top?

I wouldn't even bother with this. Only upgrade it provides is more room for changing spark plugs and the occasional cracked header

I wouldn't even bother with this. Only upgrade it provides is more room for changing spark plugs and the occasional cracked header

You clearly don't have one in your car... it makes a huge difference in steering feel. that being said, my rag joint was pretty beat up so maybe that has a lot to do with it.

Reviving an old thread, I can't figure out how to install this thing. There is no way to get at it with the a/c and power steering in the way. No access at all. Anyone install the the lower half from underneath the car, and then attaching the upper half from the top?

I installed my Jeep Steering Shaft I bought off a member a few days ago. I installed it from the top. Grease the splined end(closest to steering box) and install the lower portion first. Give it a little help with a mallet to seat it all the way and tighten the bolt. Take the top side and line it up and give it gentle taps until the top side of the jeep steering shaft engages with the shaft from the steering column(PIA). Slide the bolt through and tighten it down. You can also drill a 3/8 hole through the top of the Jeep Steering shaft and use a Grade 8 bolt/lock Nut to secure the Jeep Steering Shaft to the Steering Column shaft just how the old rag joint steering shaft was secured.

Here is a how to. I didn't grind anything.

http://bangshift.com/blog/driveway-...y-or-g-body-car-with-a-trashed-rag-joint.html

Changed mine from the top as well with no problems, although since I was installing a new PS pump, reservoir & lines recently....I did have the PS fluid reservoir off at the time so it did allow for a little more room to work, but I have installed them before with all the components in place & it can be done.
It's a pretty simple & straight forward install & the end result is very effective.

I finally was able to remove the lower bolt. I moved the power steering reservoir out of the way. The top bolt is another story. It won't budge, started to strip, so I am dremeling off. I have half the bolt gone, but it still won't go. I'll try again tomorrow.

I intalled my jeep steering shaft from the top as well, no problems, I installed the bottom end first, tightened it up, then installed the upper half. I did however make a small notch on the shaft for the bolt to go all the way through.

I finally was able to remove the lower bolt. I moved the power steering reservoir out of the way. The top bolt is another story. It won't budge, started to strip, so I am dremeling off. I have half the bolt gone, but it still won't go. I'll try again tomorrow.

Using a few ratchet extension can give you the leverage that you need.

You can turn the car on and move the steering wheel so you can get a clear line for the bolt/lock nut at the top of the stock steering shaft. You want to loosen the nut as the bolt is not threaded into the shaft. Once you loosen the nut, the bolt with slide out.

Before you remove the shaft, align the steering wheel back to its neutral position.

Hope this helps.

Finally got the old one out. Dremeled the nut, and the bolt fell out. Couple whacks with a hammer and the shaft compressed. I can't get the new one on either end. Should I torch the ends to try and open them up? If I could get them started, I would hammer them on, but I can't get them to budge.

Finally got the old one out. Dremeled the nut, and the bolt fell out. Couple whacks with a hammer and the shaft compressed. I can't get the new one on either end. Should I torch the ends to try and open them up? If I could get them started, I would hammer them on, but I can't get them to budge.

I would not heat the bushings. A previous member stated he put the shaft in the freezer and it went right on.

Have u tried a thick flat head screwdriver with a rubber mallet? This would offer a more precise beating. Maybe putting the shaft on a table vise and yanking on it or tapping it with the screwdriver and mallet combo.

Off hand I don't remember, but there is a link to a step by step video where the guy shows you how to do it.

You would have to search for it here, or maybe someone knows it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Just re read your post. For some reason I thought you were having difficulty compressing the shaft. From what it sounds like, you are having trouble mating the ends to the steering shaft?