ISAC Testing

salvageV6

Daily Driver
I installed a beta prototype of the ISAC controller on the WE4. :smile:

Installation is straightforward, I suggest making a simple wiring diagram in advance in how you want each wire to be used (or not) for your particular car, due to the wide variety of controls and options, having a good plan in advance makes it much easier.

The harness is plenty long and plugs into the ISAC with three connectors and this unit has a built in MAP which was ideal for me since it was replacing one of mine that also had a boost line to it already under the dash.

It features a 5V output as well if you need it run an external sensor, which the unit can be programmed to use if desired.

I programmed it with the desktop and there's LOTS you can do with the unit, it will fit cars that wish to make their DIY kits progressive with just about any type of pump, and also features a boost controller with PLENTY of tuning ability and options for the street and the track, and I'm sure it can replace simpler alky. controllers easily as an upgrade.

The unit features 2 pump outputs and since I have two EFI type pumps in that car this one unit controls them both easily. PWM ground output.

I have my boost controller set up as a simple PWM replacement into dual solenoids stock wastegate system with HD actuator, and it replaces the BSTC unit just fine. :cool:

USB port in the front for adjusting and connectivity as well as Data Logging with a suitable laptop in the car if desired, I haven't done that yet since my laptop is a very old windows 98 machine I have only used for directscan.

Other features I used were the low alky. input which automatically scales the boost back when triggered, same with any overboost situation that the MAP sees it will also trigger that protection scheme, set it to a low number but the arm and HD actuator limits that to about 17psi. or so mechanically.

The unit also has a second solenoid type output that can be set as a window switch with other parameters such as TPS, RPM, and of course pressure.

Since my solenoid 1 is PWM for the stock solenoids I have #2 open right now, and may program it for a simple target boost bright LED or similar feature, most highly modified cars can use it for their complex wastegate control systems.

I may also use it to replace a solenoid switch I have installed years ago, that adds a second nozzle to one of the pumps at 24psi. boost. This output would easily do that via simple programming and hookup.

The unit has 4 inputs as well you can hook up if desired.

As mentioned I use the low alky. and have the gear switch input hooked up as well it was right there on the BSTC wiring so I simply hooked it up.

Other inputs can be set up for a pressure switch which can activate a safety mode if no alky. pressure is detected or it can be used for a gear reset switch if you are configuring the unit for various boost control functions per gear. I'm not it's the daily driver, great feature for racecars. ;)

Another input is for an external pressure transducer or MAP to be used and logged with various programming parameters due to 2 bar, 3, pressure only etc.

There is also a nice feature I do use which is a trim knob on the front of the unit which can be set to OFF, control boost, or control boost rate, or control alky. flow, or control A/F over a +- 25% range.

That brings me to next week or the weeks after testing which is wideband A/F control which this unit can do with alky. flow control. Another great feature and it's set up for various wideband units, I have the DIY wideband I built hooked into it.

Obviously there is also a pump test button on the front which you can set the % of alky. flow for, in a programmable box in the software. :cool:

I use 60% to fill the hoses and bog the car but not drown it with the EFI pumps.

I suggest everyone who needs or wants an alky. controller, boost controller, failsafe control, solenoid control, etc. to take a look at the software which is posted in the link above and can be run on your computer easily with no hardware needed to check out the various features.

And of course it was designed by Turbo Bob so you know it's a good product. :cool:

I replaced 3 boxes with 1 small one. :cool:

It is going to be a great product for our cars. :smile:

I'm one of the holdouts that haven't bought alky yet but I'd also like an electronic boost controller so if someone would make something like razors's kit with this instead of the normal controller I'd like it a lot.

You could get the DIY stuff which is laid out pretty good with instructions etc.

Or buy a pump from Alkycontrol or Coolingmist or perhaps SMC, or the DIY pump.

Rest of the stuff is a tank, braided line, and a nozzle, Jegs and McMaster Carr or any alky. vendor should have them easily availabe. And all these things can be custom tailored to how YOU want them fitted in your car.

If you can install and wire a translator system, MAF GenII or PRO, you should be able to handle this controller install. :cool:

Just my .02.

We installed an ISAC and one of the kits we plan to offer with it on Shane's TFS car. The ISAC is working flawlessly. The data logging feature is great. Ive got it set up to correct via wideband and control the boost based on RPM. At the track I'll probably switch it to Time Vs Boost to help get the car out of the hole better but that's the versatility of this controller.

Anyway, we're running the pump at about 65% duty cycle and the car just made 520 at the wheels on an aborted run with nothing but straight 93 in it. The horsepower curve was still going straight up so it's going to be interesting to see where things end up.

This unit has really impressed me. It was a fairly simple install, everything is working flawlessly, and it has tons of great features. I really like the progressive alky control for A/F ratio correction.
Its nice to have everything in one box.
Jeff

I'd like to thank Bob Bailey for getting the software to work with Windows 98 that's on my old IBM Thinkpad 770 laptop that I have for direct scan. :cool:

Gonna log a few things this weekend if it stops raining here. :smile:

The ISAC is a great product with even greater support. :cool:

Gonna try the A/F with the DIY wideband soon as well.

Tons of features and something for every T.R. out there with the adjustability and tuneability with this device.

Thinking about getting one for my GN as well since the first one is staying on the WE4. :biggrin:

So a stupid question will this boost control portion of this work with a stock wastegate and solenoid

So a stupid question will this boost control portion of this work with a stock wastegate and solenoid

Yes. It would be better with a larger solenoid but it will work with a stock solenoid.

So let me see if I've got this right:

With a wideband, this unit will allow me to set a desired AFR, and will automatically increase/decrease the alcohol volume to maintain that AFR? I know it's not self tuning, but it sounds like it would auto correct for weather at least.

Does this mean that once tuned, I can turn my boost up or down and the controller will automatically add more fuel?

If I got my head wrapped around this thing correctly, This controller could essentially be used as a standalone AUX fuel system controller... I think my little dual fuel plan just got a hell of a lot simpler!

Im still thinking about direct port injection similar to DonWgs setup minus the nitrous. The real issue with what I want to do that keeps me from using a standard alky setup is that I want to use the methanol as a secondary fuel, not just as a knock suppressor/intake charge cooler... It will take some tuning to get it right, but my goal is to have the methanol providing as much fuel as possible... Possibly even 100% at the higher boost levels with a flawless transition...

In theory, you are correct. The ISAC is hard coded for a 15% swing for correction tho. Its pretty nice for tuning.. you can watch pump speed versus correction factor versus commanded AF versus target AF on the data log and see how much or how little you need to tweak each slider to get the AF where you want it.

The ISAC is pretty easy to tune with. We put one on a 2007 Mustang with a turbo on it and picked up about 100 horsepower with 2.5 PSI and methanol versus plain pump gas. Only took about 5 pulls to get it close.

The biggest obstacle with tuning the ISAC is also one of its best features. The boost controller is a little tricky. But again, once you get a handle on it, it works great.

The production units will have a couple of things the beta units dont. The pressure sensor is moved out of the box so it will use a GM 3 bar or whatever you have and since we're going to use external sensors, we can add more via software.

They also will have an extra window switch channel for driving shift lights, solenoids, etc. The beta units only have 2. The production units will have 3.

Also, the data logging is most likely going to have to be done externally. We're looking at adding a daughter board which can be purchased separately to enable internal data logging. Probably be about a $60 option.

Injection Systems Alcohol Controller