Is the IAC counts that important?

TURBOV6

"SECRET PARTS"
Staff member
I am having problems with my car dying out when I let off the gas at 1/2 or full throttle when driving. This only started when I added the 70mm tb but also added new LS1 maf. The LS1 maf does have the screen on it.

If I set the IAC counts between 10-15 the car will die out so in order to fix this problem I have to open up the throttle blade so when doing this the IAC counts drop down to like 0-5 and then it's fine.

Did you have the chip burned for the LS1 MAF?
If not - you should.

Other than that - the IAC controls your idle speed under load ( a stop but on the brake, in gear or out) by opening an air bypass that goes around the throttle blade. By opening the throttle blade more, you are losing some ECM idle control but, if it idles fine in all situations, you should be fine.

Iac

Chk your TPS after each adj and make sure you shut off the car after adj the Iac. There should be a couple threads showing on the screw as a starting point.

question to join in...is the IAC the same screw as the tps? My IAC's are stuck at zero...tps=.40...

Iac

The Tps screw(s) adj by rocking the black sensor just a little, the screw for the Iac is connected to the throttle body stop. Look for a couple of Threads beyond the stop lever thats a good starting point. You may have a bad Iac solonoid or dirt in the pintel, do not take it out to test with ing on you will send it flying remove it to clean it. If you can move the throttle an little bit and car runs it maybe bad. Check for voltage also on the Iac.

DynamicGN said:
question to join in...is the IAC the same screw as the tps? My IAC's are stuck at zero...tps=.40...

No... set you IAC with the throttle blade screw.... some old timers call it the idle screw.... tighten it (opens throttle blade) to lower IAC counts..... looseen it (closes throttle blade more) to raise them. Adjust it and wait a min or two to let IAC counts stabilize.... then check TPS voltage.... To set the tps... loosen screws on the tps itself and rotate the TPS to change the TPS idle voltage setting. Try for .46 or so engine idling..... w/o giving it gas.

When you adjust IAC's the TPS changes a little.... you might have to do a couple of iterations of adjusting each before you get them where you want them.

HTH

zam70 said:
Did you have the chip burned for the LS1 MAF?

No the chip was not burned for the LS1 MAF.

Is that why my engine sometime dies out when I put it in park?

As I understand it...... doesn't matter if it is burned for it..... it might not be fully optomized however to enjoy the full airflow measuring capability you would have with an extender chip... but it definately doesn't have to be burned for it to run as good or better than the stock setup...... provided you have the dip switches in the translator box set properly for a stock type chipped ECM. Those settings should be in your translator manual.

HTH

not to jump into this thread, but I couldn't get my IAC counts to change no matter how much I messed with the screw last tiem I was tuning. Mine has been having the same problem, though not as bad right now, and I was told to clean my IAC, though I havent because my turbolink disk is in another town with a friend, so I dotn know if that is what is wrong.