Is it Possible?...........

HNIC57

Looking for anyone to chime in. I have a stock 87 GN. It was in poor shape when I got it but have since tuned it and given it some minor upgrades (TT Chip w/ 60# injectors & AFPR, walbro 340 pump, hotwire kit). My latest runs with powerlogger has revealed boost levels at 20 - 21 pounds and with spikes as high as 25 pounds on 93 octane gas. During these times would get knock retard as high as 4 degrees and 02's would be in the high 700's to low 800's. Is that possible on a relatively stock engine?......

I have been up in the 20psi range before on good 93 in cold air. I would stay away from anything higher, as rmar said its only a value of time until it pops..

,Dan

Possbile? Yes. On 93 octane you probably don't want over 17 to 18 lbs and should be under 20 degrees of timing. Assuming your fuel pressure is correct (around 44) the high 700's to low 800's are about on target and as per your recipe of upgrades and tuning the knock retard happened as it should. As for the boost spikes, it could be the waste gate maxing out. At least that it my take on it.

Drive that fukker like you stole it, then you can build it to any spec you want :p

Seriously.......... you better back her off a bit.

I always thought as long as you could tune with little to no knock; that was a good thing.....if I can figure how to post the log I will for your review. Thanks guys......

I always thought as long as you could tune with little to no knock; that was a good thing.....if I can figure how to post the log I will for your review. Thanks guys......

A log would help.

You really want 0 knock. You may see a little on a shift or so. But 21psi and 4 deg with 93 is past the edge in my book.
I agree with lean is mean. So if you want to fine tune and trust it, get a wide band. High 700-800 is a stab in the dark at best.

O and Ty is a funny MF'r just watch your livestock around him......:biggrin::biggrin:

A log would help.

You really want 0 knock. You may see a little on a shift or so. But 21psi and 4 deg with 93 is past the edge in my book.
I agree with lean is mean. So if you want to fine tune and trust it, get a wide band. High 700-800 is a stab in the dark at best.

O and Ty is a funny MF'r just watch your livestock around him......:biggrin::biggrin:
....I certainly agree with the wideband and am looking for a good sensor for the innovative LC-1 if anyone has one. After reviewing the file a bit more, the 02's definitely need to be in the 800-835 range with that kind of boost. That run was also done without the hotwire kit; not that I believe that would have made that much of a difference. I also plan on the final install of Gen II with an Extreme G chip for the car within the next few days, depending on how much "disposable" income I have left this payday. Turb0buick57 has agreed to post the log for me. I sent it to him today. Thanks all for your input.........

Attached log file for HNIC57

View attachment 145111

Notice your TPS never goes above 3.74...Was your foot to the floor during the log? should be a lot higher
....my foot was pretty much to the floor, I know that was my goal to do WOT runs. I have since changed IAC valve. I'll also have to look at the run again and pay attention to that.....

Looking for anyone to chime in. I have a stock 87 GN. It was in poor shape when I got it but have since tuned it and given it some minor upgrades (TT Chip w/ 60# injectors & AFPR, walbro 340 pump, hotwire kit). My latest runs with powerlogger has revealed boost levels at 20 - 21 pounds and with spikes as high as 25 pounds on 93 octane gas. During these times would get knock retard as high as 4 degrees and 02's would be in the high 700's to low 800's. Is that possible on a relatively stock engine?......

The 3.8 Buick motor is built with a cast crank, cast pistons, limited displacement, etc. It does not handle knock well. Better said its not a 4 bolt main, forged piston, steel crankshaft motor. Your way above boost wise and playing with fire with spikes that high on pump gas.

Knock is like a big hammer hitting the top of the pistons. Keep it up.. you'll be spinning the bearings or blowing the head gaskets out of it.

The 3.8 Buick motor is built with a cast crank, cast pistons, limited displacement, etc. It does not handle knock well. Better said its not a 4 bolt main, forged piston, steel crankshaft motor. Your way above boost wise and playing with fire with spikes that high on pump gas.

Knock is like a big hammer hitting the top of the pistons. Keep it up.. you'll be spinning the bearings or blowing the head gaskets out of it.
.....good info on the "cast" part. I'll have to remember that. I would love a suggestion on how to back it back down. The turbo is not equipped with an adjustable waste-gate, although I do have one on another turbo. Would I start with timing?.........

.....good info on the "cast" part. I'll have to remember that. I would love a suggestion on how to back it back down. The turbo is not equipped with an adjustable waste-gate, although I do have one on another turbo. Would I start with timing?.........

Start by hooking up a hose straight from compressor to WG diaphram. This will setup minimum boost. From there bleed off to increase. That boost needs to be below 17 PSI. Preferably 15 PSI. As it can creep up.

If the hose trick works, look into a bad boost control solenoid or rotted hoses/Y fitting.

Julio has great advice, set the stock wastegate setup tuner style with the hose from the wastegate to the compressor. This will get you 11 psi, maybe 12.5 if its cold out. If you have more than that pressure on the boost gauge, then look at the wastegate having a hole drilled in it, or look into the boost gauge being off.
20-25 psi on 93 octane with steel heads is way off even at 18° degrees, as in you should be around 18 psi of boost or less, unless you gotta camshaft......

Julio don-.... Making alky kits for 2011 mustang 5.0 how much?

Julio don-.... Making alky kits for 2011 mustang 5.0 how much?

Same as the 05-up kit. Cept these have to include a separate 2 bar with the kit. The newer stangs are freq based MAF and very sensitive. Older setup was voltage based and we could tie the PAC to the MAF. call me for pricing. less than a Buick kit :D

Start by hooking up a hose straight from compressor to WG diaphram. This will setup minimum boost. From there bleed off to increase. That boost needs to be below 17 PSI. Preferably 15 PSI. As it can creep up.

If the hose trick works, look into a bad boost control solenoid or rotted hoses/Y fitting.
....I'll try this. "From there bleed off to increase"...not sure what you mean by this.....