Is Fuel Vapor Canister Needed?

Antbankstwo3

I was wondering if this is needed in the car or can it be removed. If so, what is correct way? Will it throw a code if disconnected? It doesn't bother me that it's there. Just wondering if it really serves a purpose that is needed.

Thanks in advance!

The purpose of the fuel canister (charcoal canister purge, CCP, system) is to collect vapors from the gas tank that evaporate. Then when the engine is running in closed loop, purge the vapors through the engine to be burned. This greatly reduces HC emissions from the car, and mildly improves fuel mileage.

Can be removed, no codes will be set. Need to put a small filter over the open vent line.

Me, I've put them back into cars that have had them removed. The biggest advantage to this is the lack of fumes when the car is stored inside. If stored in an attached garage this can be very important to the happiness level of home life...

RemoveBeforeFlight

The purpose of the fuel canister (charcoal canister purge, CCP, system) is to collect vapors from the gas tank that evaporate. Then when the engine is running in closed loop, purge the vapors through the engine to be burned. This greatly reduces HC emissions from the car, and mildly improves fuel mileage.

Can be removed, no codes will be set. Need to put a small filter over the open vent line.

Me, I've put them back into cars that have had them removed. The biggest advantage to this is the lack of fumes when the car is stored inside. If stored in an attached garage this can be very important to the happiness level of home life...

RemoveBeforeFlight
Thanks for the reply! That's good info to know. I appreciate that. Is there ever any maintenance with it? Like changing a filter or anything inside of it?

There is a little filter on the bottom of canister that can be replaced. I have a relocation kit from atr that moves it under the inner fender.

If you look down on the frame there is a bolt that the canister can be moved down to out of the way too.